The Student Room Group

Advice: Masters abroad or in UK?

I have two offers for post graduate study:

1) Biomathematics in Germany (2 years)
2) Financial Economics at London City

I have been to both unis and like them both. I want to study abroad but think that the course would be too difficult for me and I would be out of my depth. Seeing as the course is the main reason you're at uni, it's a massive issue.

However, the German course is free and living is cheap. I have flatmates lined up already.

People say that studying abroad is the most amazing experience but I really don't know if I can do it.*

I need to make a decision by 4pm tomorrow!!!

😖😖*
Why did you apply for such different degrees? What do you want to do after your masters and do you want to do it in the UK or Germany?

Ultimately, choose the course you are most interested in. You also can't get the postgraduate loan outside the UK.
Original post by macromicro
Why did you apply for such different degrees? What do you want to do after your masters and do you want to do it in the UK or Germany?

Ultimately, choose the course you are most interested in. You also can't get the postgraduate loan outside the UK.

I want to go into banking afterwards but I also dont want to cut off science completely. Banking is where the money is but I enjoy science. With banking, it doesn't necessarily matter what your degree is (helps to be numerical).* The course in Germany is free so would just have living costs.* I'm scared the Biomathematics one might be too advanced and I would be out of my depth and in a foreign country.*
Reply 3
Hm, I've been in Germany once, and I've got the strong feeling that not a lot of people speak English fluently. Ofc I only I've been there for several days and it was more business orientated trip, so it's probably not enough to make a precise judgement. I'm pretty sure that in universities the situation is different, but I can't say for sure. However, as an international student here, in the UK, I would say that studying abroad is pretty valuable experience as among different benefits you're also placing yourself out of your comfort zone XD
Original post by Charlotteemma
I want to go into banking afterwards but I also dont want to cut off science completely. Banking is where the money is but I enjoy science. With banking, it doesn't necessarily matter what your degree is (helps to be numerical).* The course in Germany is free so would just have living costs.* I'm scared the Biomathematics one might be too advanced and I would be out of my depth and in a foreign country.*

To be honest, I wouldn't do either. Masters are too much work and too expensive to make a night-before decision on two completely different courses for different careers in different countries. There is no point in doing a two-year Biomathematics masters if you want to pursue banking, and there is no point in doing a Finance masters if you want to continue science academia. My advice: have a think what most interests you and get a job in that field for now; re-apply for a masters next year if it makes sense to do so. If it's banking, remember that university prestige and internships count for even more than in most job applications. If it's academia, be certain you apply for a course in your strongest research interest. Best of luck.
Reply 5
Original post by Charlotteemma
I have two offers for post graduate study:

1) Biomathematics in Germany (2 years)
2) Financial Economics at London City

I have been to both unis and like them both. I want to study abroad but think that the course would be too difficult for me and I would be out of my depth. Seeing as the course is the main reason you're at uni, it's a massive issue.

However, the German course is free and living is cheap. I have flatmates lined up already.

People say that studying abroad is the most amazing experience but I really don't know if I can do it.*

I need to make a decision by 4pm tomorrow!!!

😖😖*

What makes you think that you would be out of your depth for the biomathematics master in Germany? How good is your German? Studying abroad is surely a valuable experience and much easier to do while Brexit hasn't happened (and on the same terms as German students, i.e. for free). But I think it matters more which one is more interesting and/or helpful for your career...
Original post by tj23
What makes you think that you would be out of your depth for the biomathematics master in Germany? How good is your German? Studying abroad is surely a valuable experience and much easier to do while Brexit hasn't happened (and on the same terms as German students, i.e. for free). But I think it matters more which one is more interesting and/or helpful for your career...

The course will be taught in English so the language shouldn't be an issue- I also have an a level so would cope with everyday life.

I just find programming and using IT for maths/biology very confusing. During my undergrad (biology), I would avoid the programming modules but I think that was mainly because of the bad teacher we had.

In London, I would be well in my comfort zone and things seem to be easier to navigate- like I know my timetable already and would know the area very well.*

I would study in Germany if it was the economics course for sure. *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending