The Student Room Group

PS4...PRO!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NotNotBatman
huh? I thought it was the CPU and hard drive that determine loading times.

And the RAM, but the CPU is never the bottleneck, it's always the storage device, whether directly or indirectly. Just ran a benchmark of my computer to get some figures to use, even already under load, CPU isn't breaking a sweat, and the RAM has a bandwirdth of about 40GBps, the HDDs are running at between 90 and 120 MBps (so peaking at only 0.3% the speed of the RAM on the fastest one) and the SATA SSDs are still only 400MBps, only 1% the speed of the RAM.

The bottleneck in loading is always the storage device, so a faster CPU will make no noticeable difference, if you want better load times you use faster storage media, and I doubt the PS4 pro will support an equivalent to PCIe based SSDs.
Original post by ChrisD0
Nope, consoles kick pc ass when looking at price to performance.
An i3-6100 coupled with a 750ti and 8Gb Ram ties a PS4 whilst costing well more. Don't forget a clean copy of Windows costs like £90.

Why would anybody get a 750ti when you can get triple the power for an extra £50?

So, how much is the laptop needed on the side to actually get any work done? Got something sat here that would easily blow a PS4 pro out of the water for about the cost of a PS4 pro, a laptop that isn't so slow that one's grandmother could move faster than it, and a year of PSN (we'll leave out the savings on the games shall we, don't want it to be too unfair) with a lot of shaving that can be done to bring it down.
350 pounds is pretty obscene for the undoubtedly marginal performance increase it will give.

I might consider picking up a slim, since I'm too poor right now to upgrade my laptop for multiplats and for the exclusives like KH3 and FFXV.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quasa
it could be because the gpus are polaris based (ie amds current tech vs the outdated tech used for ps4). sadly the "master race" will probably be going on about 1080s, 1070s and titan x's but who cares tbh.

People who don't want to play with the muddy textures and frame rate drops on consoles?

I don't really have anything against consoles. They are cheap gaming machines at a decent value for money and occasionally pop up good exclusives, particularly Japanese devs. They should just know their place.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
Why would anybody get a 750ti when you can get triple the power for an extra £50?

If you spend 100 pounds than the 750ti more you can also get a GTX 1060 as well, which has roughly the same performance as the 980.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fango_Jett
If you spend 100 pounds than the 750ti more you can also get a GTX 1060 as well, which has roughly the same performance as the 980.

Or a Rx 480 which you can actually get for 200 atm, which is what i went for in the hypotherical rig to shave a bit of money off
Or a Rx 480 which you can actually get for 200 atm, which is what i went for in the hypotherical rig to shave a bit of money off

AMD CPUs are cheap as well and have comparable performance. I don't know why they get such a bad rep. They're quite nice from what I've heard.

The idea that quality PC gaming is something only people crapping out money can afford is just plain silly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fango_Jett
AMD CPUs are cheap as well and have comparable performance. I don't know why they get such a bad rep. They're quite nice from what I've heard.

The idea that quality PC gaming is something only people crapping out money can afford is just plain silly.

Although crapping out money is fun

They get such a bad rep because they're behind in all but the APU market, so their pieces are less efficient and they aren't pushing the innovation anymore, again, outside APUs. Consequently they have the budget tag attached, which isn't unfair given that is their current strategy on the GPU side, rather than the premium, innovative tag of Intel and Nvidia

Personally I prefer blue and green, but that's a case of having the money to not need to worry about the extra cost
I already have a PS4. Concentrate on games, Sony.
Original post by Crack Cupcake
Cue the thousands of people buying a PS4 Pro because they want to play games in 4K, even though it won't actually play games in 4K.

Pretty much this. It's such a bloody waste of time, they would have been better off investing money into the PS5 and actually make it a substantial improvement over what we have now.
This is a very significant improvement with very little work needed, and apparently to stave off an exodus to PC
Reply 31
I don't really care about 4K, I just want true 1080p 60fps gaming, as well as 1080p share play capture:tongue:
Reply 32
Especially destiny rise of iron, I'm sure Bungie can now increase the framerate to a solid 60fps with the ps4 pro they have no excuse now
This is a very significant improvement with very little work needed, and apparently to stave off an exodus to PC

Not really. Compared to the technology out there PS4 wasn't that much of a jump from PS3, and PS4 Pro ain't much of a jump from PS4. Twice as powerful, maybe, but again compared to what's available...they could do better.
And they could have the problem the PS3 had in the early days where people thought it was too expensive and sales were poor.
I'm far more interested in 1080p/60fps. Way too many games can't run that on PS4. What is kind of concerning is Sony never mentioned frame rate. They only talked about resolution. Pretty graphics are great, but I would prefer a game that runs well first. Many of the current gen games can't even hold a stable 30fps. Developers only seem to care about pushing the graphics as far as they can, rather than increasing the frame rate to 60.

I will probably still end up buying one.
Original post by NathanW18
I'm far more interested in 1080p/60fps. Way too many games can't run that on PS4. What is kind of concerning is Sony never mentioned frame rate. They only talked about resolution. Pretty graphics are great, but I would prefer a game that runs well first. Many of the current gen games can't even hold a stable 30fps. Developers only seem to care about pushing the graphics as far as they can, rather than increasing the frame rate to 60.

I will probably still end up buying one.

Well, 4k capability implicitly says 1080p60 capable, remember, 4k is still a cool new thing and people like justifying that consoles are fine at 30fps and 60 adds nothing :tongue:
So, say you're playing multiplayer, the person with the PS4 pro can get an advantage over the person with an old ps4 because of better resolutions and higher frame rates. I hardly play multiplayer, but when I do on PC it has hardly been a problem for me, but I imagine people will be more salty during multiplayer matches.
So, say you're playing multiplayer, the person with the PS4 pro can get an advantage over the person with an old ps4 because of better resolutions and higher frame rates. I hardly play multiplayer, but when I do on PC it has hardly been a problem for me, but I imagine people will be more salty during multiplayer matches.

Probably not, they won't be able to tell who is on what and it shouldn't make a massive difference anyway, it will just be the new excuse for sore losers who lack any skill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sony confirmed that all players will be locked at 30fps dring multiplayer, so Pro players won't have an advantage. Prettier resolutions might still be there for the expensive console, but it won't give a competitive advantage

Original post by Carthaginian
Just get a PC you filthy console 30fps 720p peasants.

Tell me how to run Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, and I might consider it :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest