The Student Room Group

Does it matter how many modules you do per year?

I do 7 modules per year which I sometimes think is too much. When you consider the organisation and keeping them separate but I've got used to it now as I'm going into second year. My friend at another university does 4 modules.
I have 13 this year and had 9 last year and the year before. I don't think it makes much difference, if anything it helps because assessments are spaced out more, you do a wider variety and where there's overlap it's usually to your advantage. The downside is if some content doesn't come up every now and again you usually forget it more quickly.
Original post by Ishax
I do 7 modules per year which I sometimes think is too much. When you consider the organisation and keeping them separate but I've got used to it now as I'm going into second year. My friend at another university does 4 modules.

Hello :smile:,

Over the year I do six modules. I do three in the first semester and three in the second semester and they all overlap and with my course, every module is extremely demanding and involves working with three different groups for each and seeing as everyone is in each others groups and vice versa, it makes life very difficult!
Original post by Ishax

You should be doing the same amount of work regardless of the amount of modules. You'll require 120 CAT points a year to complete your year. This could be made up of any amount of modules with various credits associated.

For example:
120 credits - made up of 1 x 90 credit module, 1 x 30 credit module, 2 x 15 credit modules
120 credits - made up of 6 x 15 credit modules, 1 x 30 credit module
120 credits - made up of 2 x 30 credit modules, 4 x 15 credit modules

These would all be the same level of work, just with work weighted differently across the year. :smile:
That's not alot
I only do 6 over the full year. 3 in each semester.
Really think they can merge the 3 years of the degree into 2.
Reply 5
7 too much, something I'm missing here? That's about 3-4 modules per semester... which is pretty much normal for a student. Some have way more than you so be grateful! I had 8 in my final year of uni.
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
I have 13 this year and had 9 last year and the year before. I don't think it makes much difference, if anything it helps because assessments are spaced out more, you do a wider variety and where there's overlap it's usually to your advantage. The downside is if some content doesn't come up every now and again you usually forget it more quickly.

Oh okay, I do 4 in semester 1 and 3 in semester 2.
Reply 7
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:,

Over the year I do six modules. I do three in the first semester and three in the second semester and they all overlap and with my course, every module is extremely demanding and involves working with three different groups for each and seeing as everyone is in each others groups and vice versa, it makes life very difficult!

That's true, I have two group work modules in semester 2! :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Roving Fish
You should be doing the same amount of work regardless of the amount of modules. You'll require 120 CAT points a year to complete your year. This could be made up of any amount of modules with various credits associated.

For example:
120 credits - made up of 1 x 90 credit module, 1 x 30 credit module, 2 x 15 credit modules
120 credits - made up of 6 x 15 credit modules, 1 x 30 credit module
120 credits - made up of 2 x 30 credit modules, 4 x 15 credit modules

These would all be the same level of work, just with work weighted differently across the year. :smile:

Yeah, that's right! 5 of my modules are 20 credits each and the remaining two 10 each.
Reply 9
Original post by samina_ay
That's not alot
I only do 6 over the full year. 3 in each semester.
Really think they can merge the 3 years of the degree into 2.

Perhaps, I do 7 over the full year with 4 in one semester and 3 in their other semester.
Reply 10
Original post by UWS
7 too much, something I'm missing here? That's about 3-4 modules per semester... which is pretty much normal for a student. Some have way more than you so be grateful! I had 8 in my final year of uni.

I was just comparing it to my friend because he has 4 and it made me wonder why I have so many lol! I've already done 7 modules in first year, so I'm used to it now.
Original post by Ishax
I was just comparing it to my friend because he has 4 and it made me wonder why I have so many lol! I've already done 7 modules in first year, so I'm used to it now.

Because your modules are smaller. You are still only doing 120 credits.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Because your modules are smaller. You are still only doing 120 credits.

Yeah, his modules are 30 credits each and I just wondered if it matters much.
This a ridiculous thread. 1x12 = 2x6 = 3x4 as other posters have said.
Original post by Ishax
Yeah, his modules are 30 credits each and I just wondered if it matters much.

No. I think its easier to do more smaller modules becayse exams break the learning up.
Reply 15
Where I live, my university has different module definitions:
1 module = 3 to 8 credits, depending on how tough it is and how long it spans.
1 credit equals 30 hours of study.

Let me give you one piece of advice: don't put too much hay on your fork or you'll be sorry.. For me, doing 7 modules per year is fine and dandy. However, a 'regular student' usually gets around 12 modules per year, which is completely crazy (that's 60 hours per week study).
If you're a smart and regular student and you've had no problems in high school, then sure, go ahead and take ~10 modules per year, but for me it was a different story: I've had nothing but bad grades in high school and I've always struggled to keep up.

Let me just show you my study history:

1st year: 14 modules taken, 2 modules passed, 12 modules passed after re-exams
2nd year: 11 modules taken, 3 modules passed, 9 modules passed after re-exams
3rd year: 7 modules taken, 4 modules passed
4th year: 5 modules taken, 4 modules passed, 1 module passed after re-exams

How many modules you take will depend on how well and successful you study, how hard the modules are, how much outside help you get, how social you are (believe me, connections help), how motivated and how disciplined you are (giving up certain things just to pass your modules is a sour apple to bite, but a rewarding one). If you are going to take up 7 modules, I think you can do fine, but keep up your steady study rhythm, make sure you understand as much as possible from your modules and don't slack!

Schedule a meeting with your department's learning trajectory adviser before you make up your module selection for this year! They will know best how to estimate what is realistically doable and what is not.

I hope it helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
No. I think its easier to do more smaller modules becayse exams break the learning up.

I do agree with you, I have various assessments aswell and it just makes it a lot easier. It's also nice learning different subjects aswell.
Reply 17
Original post by 571122
Where I live, my university has different module definitions:
1 module = 3 to 8 credits, depending on how tough it is and how long it spans.
1 credit equals 30 hours of study.

Let me give you one piece of advice: don't put too much hay on your fork or you'll be sorry.. For me, doing 7 modules per year is fine and dandy. However, a 'regular student' usually gets around 12 modules per year, which is completely crazy (that's 60 hours per week study).
If you're a smart and regular student and you've had no problems in high school, then sure, go ahead and take ~10 modules per year, but for me it was a different story: I've had nothing but bad grades in high school and I've always struggled to keep up.

Let me just show you my study history:

1st year: 14 modules taken, 2 modules passed, 12 modules passed after re-exams
2nd year: 11 modules taken, 3 modules passed, 9 modules passed after re-exams
3rd year: 7 modules taken, 4 modules passed
4th year: 5 modules taken, 4 modules passed, 1 module passed after re-exams

How many modules you take will depend on how well and successful you study, how hard the modules are, how much outside help you get, how social you are (believe me, connections help), how motivated and how disciplined you are (giving up certain things just to pass your modules is a sour apple to bite, but a rewarding one). If you are going to take up 7 modules, I think you can do fine, but keep up your steady study rhythm, make sure you understand as much as possible from your modules and don't slack!

Schedule a meeting with your department's learning trajectory adviser before you make up your module selection for this year! They will know best how to estimate what is realistically doable and what is not.

I hope it helps!

Oh okay, that makes sense! I'm happy doing 7 modules and it adds up to 120 credits anyway.
I'm a 4th year university student, studying mathematics. I have 10 modules. I wish I had 7 or8 modules. That would be heaven.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending