The Student Room Group

What exactly is propaganda?

And how do you prove something is propaganda? Don't all cultures spew propaganda to some degree? Don't people just dismiss something they don't like hearing as propaganda? How do you know what you being told is right and you not the one being fed propaganda?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
" Propaganda is information, especially of a biased nature, used to promote or publicise a particular political cause or point of view. "

The above is the official Wikipedia definition of Propaganda. Obviously I do not claim this information to be factually licensed however it goes without saying it's a very reliable source.

What you can also do to help your understanding is by trying to use the word in actual sentences as you are speaking. The best way to learn something is to try yourself, and to also eavesdrop other conversations to hear when they use the word themselves.

I hope that helps, and if you need any more advice/guidance please let me know.

Goose
(edited 7 years ago)
That Wikipedia definition tells only half the story, as propadanda can also be used to attack a cause. Here is the definition from a reputable dictionary:

Collins English Dictionary
noun
1. the organized dissemination of information, allegations, etc, to assist or damage the cause of a government, movement, etc

2. such information, allegations, etc

Note, also, the use of "organized".
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Good bloke
That Wikipedia definition tells only half the story, as propadanda can also be used to attack a cause. Here is the definition from a reputable dictionary:

Thanks Good bloke. That highlights right there why you cannot always trust information that hasn't been factually licensed. It's good to make people aware of the pros and cons.
Original post by UniGoose
That highlights right there

Yes, with emphasis on the word "highlights".
Reply 5
making sure people have a good look, as cockneys say "a proper gander"
Reply 6
Yes, with emphasis on the word "highlights".

Original post by NJA
making sure people have a good look, as cockneys say "a proper gander"

I couldn't agree more. I think it's important to go through life looking through the eye of a needle. Little details make up a big detail which then gives yourself a larger perspective on everything.
Reply 7
" Propaganda is information, especially of a biased nature, used to promote or publicise a particular political cause or point of view. "

The above is the official Wikipedia definition of Propaganda. Obviously I do not claim this information to be factually licensed however it goes without saying it's a very reliable source.

What you can also do to help your understanding is by trying to use the word in actual sentences as you are speaking. The best way to learn something is to try yourself, and to also eavesdrop other conversations to hear when they use the word themselves.

I hope that helps, and if you need any more advice/guidance please let me know.

Goose

wiki is not reliable nor credible
That's the thing couldn't you argue that most forms of media is propaganda? A youtuber made a music video about North Korea( where he was teaching the North Koreans to surf) and a lot of the commentators were quick to say it was propaganda. His aim was to show the Western world of a different side to North Korea. Is that propaganda?
Reply 9
Original post by shawtyb
wiki is not reliable nor credible

This is a debatable subject which I do not feel we should talk about on this thread to destabilise calling03's original query.

If you create another thread I'd be happy to discuss this with you on there.

Goose
"All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension to the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach."- Kanye
Original post by unigoose
this is a debatable subject which i do not feel we should talk about on this thread to destabilise calling03's original query.

If you create another thread i'd be happy to discuss this with you on there.

Goose

when you emphasise everyhing, your emphasising no longer has any meaning.

thanks

ss
Original post by Supersaps
when you emphasise everyhing, your emphasising no longer has any meaning.

thanks

ss

Supersaps I appreciate what you are trying to say however it's a common human misconception that everything actually needs a meaning. Are we not permitted to bold when we please? I didn't know that there is a rule for that.

Now I would suggest that you stick to the topic instead of trying to derail the thread.

Thanks,

Goose
Original post by calling03
And how do you prove something is propaganda? Don't all cultures spew propaganda to some degree? Don't people just dismiss something they don't like hearing as propaganda? How do you know what you being told is right and you not the one being fed propaganda?

Supersaps I appreciate what you are trying to say however it's a common human misconception that everything actually needs a meaning. Are we not permitted to bold when we please? I didn't know that there is a rule for that.

You may bold whenever you please. However the flipside is, I may criticise where I please.

I find your constant use of italics, boldness and underlining to be both difficult to read and annoying.

Kindly,

SS
(edited 7 years ago)

Now I would suggest that you stick to the topic instead of trying to derail the thread.

Thanks,

Goose

Siupersaps is correct. Your posts are very irritating and tiresome to read. I assume you were giving a witty take on propaganda in your first posts, but I now realise you always over-emphasise in your posts.

The effect is that your meaning is lost in the noise of the typography, people are irritated, and your message is devalued.

Still, if that is what you want then it is your right to do it. Don't expect a future employer to like it though.
Original post by Supersaps
You may bold whenever you please. However the flipside is, I may criticise where I please.

I find your constant use of italics, boldness and underlining to be both difficult to read and annoying.

Kindly,

SS

Siupersaps is correct. Your posts are very irritating and tiresome to read. I assume you were giving a witty take on propaganda in your first posts, but I now realise you always over-emphasise in your posts.

The effect is that your meaning is lost in the noise of the typography, people are irritated, and your message is devalued.

Still, if that is what you want then it is your right to do it. Don't expect a future employer to like it though.

It's important to note that although you are entitled to criticise, this is not on topic and in future should be directly messaged to myself without interfering with somebody else's thread.

As the great man once said - "if you don't like the look of the shoe, don't put it on your feet".

Goose

As the great man once said - "if you don't like the look of the shoe, don't put it on your feet".

Goose

As the great bard had Cleopatra say:

Be choked with such another emphasis!

Quick Reply

Latest