The Student Room Group

Maths 9-1: Who gets like 70+? Any advice for on how to do well?

My current marks in the papers are keep changing from paper to paper like one has 58 and the other one has 68. I've seen a few people who say that they have gotten like more than 70 on each of the papers and that astonishes me. Like how on earth do you guys revise? Any tips/advice/techniques for the rest of us?

Edit Just realized that the title doesn't make sense at all.:colondollar: Sorry
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bluepearl7
My current marks in the papers are keep changing from paper to paper like one has 58 and the other one has 68. I've seen a few people who say that they have gotten like more than 70 on each of the papers and that astonishes me. Like how on earth do you guys revise? Any tips/advice/techniques for the rest of us?

I got 73,73,60 in my mocks. The 60 is quite disappointing because I knew how to answer the questions but I didn't check my calculations and my units so I lost loads of marks there. I think that time management is key because I finished my third paper in the last minute so I couldn't check my work. I didn't manage to get 70+ in each of the exams but I did do better than I expected.
What papers are you guys talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ChallengeLover
I got 73,73,60 in my mocks. The 60 is quite disappointing because I knew how to answer the questions but I didn't check my calculations and my units so I lost loads of marks there. I think that time management is key because I finished my third paper in the last minute so I couldn't check my work. I didn't manage to get 70+ in each of the exams but I did do better than I expected.

Oh wow Congrats! How did you revise for it?Any tips?

Original post by BobBobson
What papers are you guys talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The new maths GCSE papers that the current year 11s are going to be sitting summer of 2017.The grade system is now 9-1 and there are 3 papers each out of 80.

The new maths GCSE papers that the current year 11s are going to be sitting summer of 2017.The grade system is now 9-1 and there are 3 papers each out of 80.

yeah I know that, but there's no past papers? What papers are you talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
yeah I know that, but there's no past papers? What papers are you talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are the specimen papers but I was talking about the Edexcel style Pixl mocks . Pixl is basically a company that creates papers

The only thing I did was read through my edexcel maths 9-1 revision guide.
lol I saw my sister's paper and like good luck bro, they've thrown some AS maths in there
have fun :yy:
If u want some help feel free to ask :wink:
Just spam yourself with past paper questions and get a good textbook :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by ChallengeLover
The only thing I did was read through my edexcel maths 9-1 revision guide.

oh ok. What text book do you have? I usually watch the maths watch clips and do the past papers

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
lol I saw my sister's paper and like good luck bro, they've thrown some AS maths in there
have fun :yy:
If u want some help feel free to ask :wink:
Just spam yourself with past paper questions and get a good textbook :wink:

Yeah , I know. I'm really stressed out rn . To get a grade 9, you would need to get 95% or something.
oh ok. What text book do you have? I usually watch the maths watch clips and do the past papers

Yeah , I know. I'm really stressed out rn . To get a grade 9, you would need to get 95% or something.

:lolwut:Deffo PM me if you want a hand dude :yy:
But sounds like u have the right study attitude, so keep up the good work and I'm sure you will get there :smile:

We don't know that yet, but I do believe it's going to be unlikely to be anywhere near that. Consider that a 9 is like the top 4%. If an A* now encompasses 6-7%, and is placed at around 80-85% raw, the top 4% is unlikely to be 95% after considering the increased difficulty of the new papers.
Original post by _gcx
We don't know that yet, but I do believe it's going to be unlikely to be anywhere near that. Consider that a 9 is like the top 4%. If an A* now encompasses 6-7%, and is placed at around 80-85% raw, the top 4% is unlikely to be 95% after considering the increased difficulty of the new papers.

For this year, as it's the first, I think making any sort of prediction is pretty useless. The grades will be scaled according to the spread of the raw mark, so those scoring in the top 4% of candidates will get the 9. Who knows, perhaps the paper is completely botched as it's the first year and a score of like ~80% will be enough! It is pointless to worry about grade boundaries at this stage. Think it's a change for the good though, as it certainly spices up GCSE's a bit. A 9 is going to be a real achievement now and I think you are going to see a lot less people 'sweeping the field' getting 10+ top grades (formerly A* now 1). What sort of questions are in these papers? I wouldn't mind seeing a couple/helping out if you guys get stuck on anything as I have just finished maths A level :smile:
Original post by k.russell
For this year, as it's the first, I think making any sort of prediction is pretty useless. The grades will be scaled according to the spread of the raw mark, so those scoring in the top 4% of candidates will get the 9. Who knows, perhaps the paper is completely botched as it's the first year and a score of like ~80% will be enough! It is pointless to worry about grade boundaries at this stage. Think it's a change for the good though, as it certainly spices up GCSE's a bit. A 9 is going to be a real achievement now and I think you are going to see a lot less people 'sweeping the field' getting 10+ top grades (formerly A* now 1). What sort of questions are in these papers? I wouldn't mind seeing a couple/helping out if you guys get stuck on anything as I have just finished maths A level :smile:

Theres just a couple more previously a-level topics added in, and theres more algebra. It also tests problem solving more and real-world scenarios rather than things like Solve for x:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

With a mark of 58 to 68 out of 80 in the specimen paper is really impressive and I think you shouldn't panic much. My best was 37 out of 80 which may sound bad but it can be worked on. I think to get the highest grade possible so Grades 7-9, you need to practice, practice, practice every topic and go over weaker areas and I can't stress that enough but it will help. Also doing past papers even though the spec has changed will help. P.S: You can edit the title somehow :P
Theres just a couple more previously a-level topics added in, and theres more algebra. It also tests problem solving more and real-world scenarios rather than things like Solve for x:

Posted from TSR Mobile

what sort of A level topics? Funny about those real world scenarios, because that didn't seem to be a particular feature of A level maths to me. The core units are fairly straight up in what you are being asked to do in that the question was always posed in a very mathematical sense without any BS
Original post by k.russell
what sort of A level topics? Funny about those real world scenarios, because that didn't seem to be a particular feature of A level maths to me. The core units are fairly straight up in what you are being asked to do in that the question was always posed in a very mathematical sense without any BS

Yeah, I guess the idea is that the GCSE is more for everyone and teaches maths you'll use in the real world and the A Level is for people who want to study maths theoretically.

There's quite a few topics they added, off the top of my head: Interval bisection, Fixed point iteration, Subscript notation, Set notation (Basic). And they got rid of kinematics though, so i guess there's that.
I'm terrified for maths
Yeah, I guess the idea is that the GCSE is more for everyone and teaches maths you'll use in the real world and the A Level is for people who want to study maths theoretically.

There's quite a few topics they added, off the top of my head: Interval bisection, Fixed point iteration, Subscript notation, Set notation (Basic). And they got rid of kinematics though, so i guess there's that.

Interval bisection?? That's in FP1 (A level further maths) which I'm doing atm in my gap year. Wow they really toughed it up! All you boys who get the 1 are gonna be stallions

Quick Reply

Latest