The Student Room Group

Council tax question

Im going to be a full time masters student this year but i will be living with 2 part time students. Am i liable to pay for a share of the tax? Im in a private rent. Could we get a discount. Will the council bill us individually?

Cheers for any advice just ive been given a few contradictory views. Ill be under Tower Hamlets but i did not find their website that clear.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're a student you won't be required to pay council tax- write to the council with proof eg. a letter of student status from uni and they'll take your name off. If you live with non - students they will have to pay (there's a 25% discount for single occupants which also applies if there's only 1 adult non - student, but not if there are two). It's up to the group of you to work out who is going to pay- the council won't be able to come after you personally, but your housemates might find it unfair if they have to pay and you don't. So it may be that you end up splitting 3 ways anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I am assuming by the way that the student exemption is only for full - time students, it usually only applies to people studying more than 21 hours/wk, but that's worth checking with the council to be sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RhiAG
If you're a student you won't be required to pay council tax- write to the council with proof eg. a letter of student status from uni and they'll take your name off. If you live with non - students they will have to pay (there's a 25% discount for single occupants which also applies if there's only 1 adult non - student, but not if there are two). It's up to the group of you to work out who is going to pay- the council won't be able to come after you personally, but your housemates might find it unfair if they have to pay and you don't. So it may be that you end up splitting 3 ways anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is misleading. Students are not exempt from any tax.
A household occupied by only students is exempt from council tax.
If one person in the house is not a student then the house is no longer exempt.
That does not mean all students in the house are not responsible for the council tax.
The council will look to the named occupiers to pay yhe bill.
They will not remove names.
Original post by Cassiusblack
Im going to be a full time masters student this year but i will be living with 2 part time students. Am i liable to pay for a share of the tax? Im in a private rent. Could we get a discount. Will the council bill us individually?

Cheers for any advice just ive been given a few contradictory views. Ill be under Tower Hamlets but i did not find their website that clear.

Individuals cannot get exemption through being students; the tax applies to properties.The council will bill you collectively (if it isn't already billing the landlord). The property is only exempt if all occupants are full-time (defined as more than 21 hours per week) students.
Reply 5
Going based on what my council has on their website and by personal experience, a council cannot come after a student for council tax as they are exempt. The property itself is not exempt, but the student cannot be held liable. In practice though, if you live with non - students it's likely you will end up needing to pay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay

This website goes through exemptions in detail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My understanding is that a full time student is exempt and disregraded for coubcil tax purposes.

The two part time students are not exempt unless they count as qyalifying students. That information is on the TH website.

That means they will be liable for the CT between them.. Prety much what Rhiag said.
Original post by RhiAG
Going based on what my council has on their website and by personal experience, a council cannot come after a student for council tax as they are exempt. The property itself is not exempt, but the student cannot be held liable. In practice though, if you live with non - students it's likely you will end up needing to pay

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to read more carefully.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-full-time-students

And here's a typical council website. It makes it quite clear that the tax is property-based and the exemption applies to the property:

https://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/content/council-tax-exempt-properties

The property may be eligible for a discount if not everyone is a full-time student.
Reply 9
http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/council-tax/

The NUS also says only the non - students are held liable for council tax, despite the household being non - exempt. Same advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

The outcome is still the same regardless though- if you're sharing with non - students you're going to end up paying council tax unless they're particularly generous and willing to split it between them.

And discounts are generally only if there's just one non-student under single occupancy, unless other exemptions apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RhiAG

The NUS also says only the non - students are held liable for council tax, despite the household being non - exempt. Same advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

That is supported by this council:

https://www.thanet.gov.uk/your-services/council-tax/who-should-pay-the-bill/who-should-pay-the-council-tax-bill/

No sane non-student should ever share a house with a bunch of students.
Original post by Good bloke
You need to read more carefully.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-full-time-students

And here's a typical council website. It makes it quite clear that the tax is property-based and the exemption applies to the property:

https://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/content/council-tax-exempt-properties

The property may be eligible for a discount if not everyone is a full-time student.

RhiAg is correct the student will be disregarded for CT purposes,. Its up to the other two to pay if they are not on a qualifying course. The property isnt exempt, just the OP wont have to pay.
Original post by 999tigger
just the OP wont have to pay.

Or may be kicked out by the other two when he doesn't, of course.
Original post by Cassiusblack

The Council will not bill you, but the house will be billed. You aren't legally liable to pay, because full time students are exempt, however, your two part-time colleagues will be liable, and may ask you why you should be exempt from paying your third. You will have to resolve that between yourselves.
Original post by RhiAG
http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/council-tax/

The outcome is still the same regardless though- if you're sharing with non - students you're going to end up paying council tax unless they're particularly generous and willing to split it between them.

And discounts are generally only if there's just one non-student under single occupancy, unless other exemptions apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really dont see why the FT student should pay as its his exemption.
Original post by threeportdrift
The Council will not bill you, but the house will be billed. You aren't legally liable to pay, because full time students are exempt, however, your two part-time colleagues will be liable, and may ask you why you should be exempt from paying your third. You will have to resolve that between yourselves.

Which is correct and what RhiAg said.
Or may be kicked out by the other two when he doesn't, of course.

Why should the other two kick him out because he is exempt and they may not be? Its not his liability. Doesn't change the fact he is still exempt.
Why should the other two kick him out because he is exempt and they may not be? Its not his liability. Doesn't change the fact he is still exempt.

Well, if you received a bill for, say £600, and there were three candidates for sharing it, would you prefer to take a one-third share (if they all paid) or a half-share (if one didn't)? The tax is not calculated per capita but per roof.
Well, if you received a bill for, say £600, and there were three candidates for sharing it, would you prefer to take a one-third share (if they all paid) or a half-share (if one didn't)? The tax is not calculated per capita but per roof.

Its calculated on the basis of liable people. I wouldnt ask you to pay my credit card bill, jst because I shared the house. The FT student is exempt. They would have to pay the same amount whether I was there or not. You were barking up the wrong tree.
Its calculated on the basis of liable people. I wouldnt ask you to pay my credit card bill, jst because I shared the house. The FT student is exempt. They would have to pay the same amount whether I was there or not. You were barking up the wrong tree.

The council tax bill for a house stays the same regardless of occupation unless a discount applies. In this case, I believe, no discount applies as there are two non-student adults living in it. Assuming a bill of £600, the bill has to be shared between them - £300 each. The bill is not cut to two-thirds because of the student who is the third-occupier. The tax is property-based, not person-based.

The £600 has to be paid and it is between the two non-students but, if the house can accommodate three, then a third non-student would pay his share without demur, making each share lower - which gives them an incentive to find such a co-tenant or to move out and into such a share. I'm not saying they would do that, of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending