The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't Forget About Fasting This Sunday!

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about fasting on the day of ‘Arafah and he said: “It expiates the sins for the past and coming years.” Narrated by Muslim (1162) According to another report: “I ask Allaah that it may expiate for (the sins of) the year that comes before it and the year that comes after it.”

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-H1HR_ck1Dm8/VLFaQNmCaII/AAAAAAAADAs/G8Gavs2ksjc/s1600/assalamualaikum%2B1.png

Greetings everyone. :hi:
Original post by Saba XD
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-H1HR_ck1Dm8/VLFaQNmCaII/AAAAAAAADAs/G8Gavs2ksjc/s1600/assalamualaikum%2B1.png

Wa alaykum assalaam
حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدَةُ بْنُ سُلَيْمَانَ، عَنْ مُوسَى بْنِ الْمُسَيَّبِ الثَّقَفِيِّ، عَنْ شَهْرِ بْنِ حَوْشَبٍ، عَنْ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ غَنْمٍ، عَنْ أَبِي ذَرٍّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ ‏:‏ "‏ إِنَّ اللَّهَ تَبَارَكَ وَتَعَالَى يَقُولُ يَا عِبَادِي كُلُّكُمْ مُذْنِبٌ إِلاَّ مَنْ عَافَيْتُ فَسَلُونِي الْمَغْفِرَةَ فَأَغْفِرَ لَكُمْ وَمَنْ عَلِمَ مِنْكُمْ أَنِّي ذُو قُدْرَةٍ عَلَى الْمَغْفِرَةِ فَاسْتَغْفَرَنِي بِقُدْرَتِي غَفَرْتُ لَهُ، وَكُلُّكُمْ ضَالٌّ إِلاَّ مَنْ هَدَيْتُ فَسَلُونِي الْهُدَى أَهْدِكُمْ، وَكُلُّكُمْ فَقِيرٌ إِلاَّ مَنْ أَغْنَيْتُ فَسَلُونِي أَرْزُقْكُمْ، وَلَوْ أَنَّ حَيَّكُمْ وَمَيِّتَكُمْ وَأَوَّلَكُمْ وَآخِرَكُمْ وَرَطْبَكُمْ وَيَابِسَكُمُ اجْتَمَعُوا فَكَانُوا عَلَى قَلْبِ أَتْقَى عَبْدٍ مِنْ عِبَادِي - لَمْ يَزِدْ فِي مُلْكِي جَنَاحُ بَعُوضَةٍ، وَلَوِ اجْتَمَعُوا فَكَانُوا عَلَى قَلْبِ أَشْقَى عَبْدٍ مِنْ عِبَادِي لَمْ يَنْقُصْ مِنْ مُلْكِي جَنَاحُ بَعُوضَةٍ وَلَوْ أَنَّ حَيَّكُمْ وَمَيِّتَكُمْ، وَأَوَّلَكُمْ وَآخِرَكُمْ وَرَطْبَكُمْ وَيَابِسَكُمُ اجْتَمَعُوا، فَسَأَلَ كُلُّ سَائِلٍ مِنْهُمْ مَا بَلَغَتْ أُمْنِيَّتُهُ - مَا نَقَصَ مِنْ مُلْكِي إِلاَّ كَمَا لَوْ أَنَّ أَحَدَكُمْ مَرَّ بِشَفَةِ الْبَحْرِ فَغَمَسَ فِيهَا إِبْرَةً ثُمَّ نَزَعَهَا، ذَلِكَ بِأَنِّي جَوَادٌ مَاجِدٌ عَطَائِي كَلاَمٌ إِذَا أَرَدْتُّ شَيْئًا فَإِنَّمَا أَقُولُ لَهُ ‏:‏ كُنْ فَيَكُونُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

It was narrated from Abu Dharr that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
“Allah the Blessed and Exalted says: ‘O My slaves, all of you are sinners except those whom I have saved. So ask Me for forgiveness, I will forgive you. Whoever among you knows that I have the power to forgive and asks Me to forgive by My power, I will forgive him. All of you are astray except those whom I guide. Ask Me for guidance and I will guide you. All of you are poor except those whom I enrich (make independent of means). Ask of Me and I will grant you provision. Even if your living and your dead, your first and your last, your fresh and your dry, were all as pious as the most pious among My slaves, that would not increase my dominion as much as a gnat’s wing, and if they were to be as evil as the most evil among My slaves, that would not detract from My dominion as much as a gnat’s wing. Even if your living and your dead, your first and your last, your fresh and your dry, were to join together and each of them were to ask for all that he wishes for, that would only detract from My dominion as much as if one of you were to pass by the edge of the sea and dip a needle in it and withdraw it. That is because I am the Most Generous, Majestic. I give with a word; when I will something, all I do is say to it “Be!” and it is.’”

[Sunan Ibn Majah, graded Hassan by Darussalam]
وعن المغيرة بن شعبة رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم، كان إذا فرغ من الصلاة وسلم قال ‏:‏ "‏لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له، له الملك وله الحمد، وهو على كل شيء قدير‏.‏ اللهم لا مانع لما أعطيت، ولا معطي لما منعت، ولا ينفع ذا الجد منك الجد‏"‏ ‏(‏‏(‏متفق عليه‏)‏‏)‏‏.‏

Al-Mughirah bin Shu'bah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) used to say at the conclusion of prayer: "La ilaha illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku, wa lahul-hamdu, wa Huwa 'ala kulli shai'in Qadir. Allahumma la mani'a lima a'tayta, wa la mu'tiya lima mana'ta, wa la yanfa'u dhal-jaddi, minkal-jaddu (there is no true god except Allah. He is One and He has no partner with Him, His is the sovereignty and His is the praise, and He is Omnipotent. O Allah! None can deny that which You bestow and none can bestow that which You hold back; and the greatness of the great will be of no avail to them against You)."

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
Allah ta'ala is Ever-watchful, Ever-knowing of what we do and what difficulties we face. We face difficulties in this life, as it is imperfect, yet these difficulties create the opportunity for us to attain a life of perfection in Jannah. Without struggle, we would not seek assistance; without deficiency, we would not seek sufficiency; without feeling alone, we would not seek His walaaya (friendship, companionship, guardianship, protection). Thus, every occurrence of grief or hardship is an unmissable opportunity to become closer to Him, to develop our capacity for Sabr and tawakkul and to make firm the bond between the servant and the Creator.
Original post by h333

May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen. This is your jihad so fight back as strong as you can and insha'Allah you will succeed.
Masha'Allah, your intention is what counts and surely then Allah will help you further, Insha'Allah :smile:

Original post by HAnwar
What do you feel is stopping you, like is it work, laziness etc. ? Try and tackle that.And are you finding certain prayers harder than others like Fajr?That sounds good Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IdeasForLife
Reading prayers early helps me. I noticed the more I used to delay, the harder it became to pray.What courses you looking into?Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ash92
When imaan fluctuates, I find that 3 things are beneficial to pursue:- learning about the Qur'an, listening to it and reading it- learning about salaah and reflecting on the deeper meanings of it and the relevance of each stage on your relationship with your Rabb- listening to short reminders - good YT channels are TheMercifulServant, TheDailyReminder, HalalSheikh, etc.

I think it's a case of leaving it later and not praying early. As well as just tiredness from work, however I found out we have a prayer room in our office so I think that will help me stay on track with my prayers and is such a relief to find out.

I just want some guided learning about Islam, I feel like when I try to do it myself, I'm lost at where to start and research what. And I definitely want to get a more in depth understanding. (Instead of just knowing what's halal, and when to pray for example)

YouTube videos do help though, I'll look into those youtubers you mentioned.

Jzk for your replies :smile:
"Allah says,

“Who sees you when you stand up (for prayer), and your movements along with those who fall prostrate.” (26:218-219)

“He is with you wheresoever you may be.” (57:4)

“Truly nothing is hidden from Allah, in the earth or in the heavens.” (3:5)

“Indeed your Lord is Ever-Watchful (over them)” (89:14)

“Allah knows the fraud of the eyes and all that the breasts conceal.” (40:19)

The verses concerning this are many and well known.

There are two aspects to contemplation:

1.That you contemplate Allah, Azza wa Jall
2.That you know that Allah is watching you as He says, “and Allah is ever a Watcher (Raqeebaa) over all things.”

As for your contemplating Allah then this is that you know that Allah, the Exalted, Knows your every saying, action, or belief, as He said, “and put your trust in the All-Mighty, the Most Merciful Who sees you when you stand up (for prayer) and your movements along with those who fall prostrate.” (26:216-218)

“Who sees you as you stand” meaning at night, when the person stands in a place in seclusion from others such that no one would see him, but Allah, Subhaanahu wa Ta’aalaa, sees Him even if he be in the darkest and most intense of darkness.

“And your movements along with those who prostrate” meaning: and you move along with all those who prostrate to Allah in this hour, for indeed Allah sees a person when he stands and prostrates. Standing and prostrating have been (specifically) mention because standing in prayer is better than prostration with respect to the remembrance of Allah, and prostration is better with respect to its appearance and condition.
As for the standing being better than the prostration with respect to remembrance then this is because the legislated remembrance in the state of standing is the recitation of the Qur’an and the Qur’an is the noblest of speech.
As for the prostration being better than the standing with respect to its appearance and condition then this is because the person in the state of prostration is closest to His Lord, Azza wa Jall, as is established from the Prophet (SAW) when he said:

“The closest a person is to His Lord is when he is in prostration.” [Muslim]

This is why we have been commanded to increase our supplications while in prostration.

Also from your contemplating Allah is that you know that Allah hears everything single thing that you say as He said, “or do they think that We Hear not their secrets and private discourse? (Indeed We do) and Our Messengers are by them, to record.” (43:80)

And along with this, that you know that every good or evil thing that you say, be it openly or secretly then it is written for or against you. Allaah, the Blessed and Exalted says, “not a word does he utter, but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)” (50:18)

Know this, and beware! Beware that their emit from your tongue a saying which will count against you on the Day of Judgement. Make sure that your tongue is continuously articulating the truth or that it remains silent as the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, “whosoever believes in Allah and the Last Day then let him speak only good or remain silent.” [Bukhaaree]

(Also from your contemplating Allah) is that you do so with regards to your secrets and what is in your heart. Look to what is in your heart! Associating partners with Allah, showing off, deviations, jealousy, hatred and dislike displayed towards the Muslims, love of the disbelievers and other such things that Allah is not Pleased with. Supervise and be attentive to your heart for Allah has said, “indeed We created man, and We know what his own self whispers to him.” (50:16)

So contemplate Allah in these three places, in your actions, your saying and your heart so that your contemplation may be complete. This is why, when the Prophet (SAW) was asked about Ihsaan, he replied, “that you worship Allah as if you see Him, and if you do not see Him, then indeed He sees you.”

Worship Allah as if you see Him and witness Him with the eye, and if you do not see Him then go to the next station below this: then indeed He sees you.

So the first station is to worship Him out of hope and desire. The next is to worship Him out of fear and awe this is why he said, “and if you do not see Him, then indeed He sees you.”

So it is necessary for the person to contemplate His Lord and that he know that Allah is watching over you. Anything that you say or do or keep secret, Allah, Exalted is He, knows it. The author has mentioned a number of verses that prove this and began with the verse that we have already mentioned, “and put your trust in the All-Mighty, the Most Merciful Who sees you when you stand up (for prayer) and your movements along with those who fall prostrate.” (26:216-218)"

[Sh. Muhammad ibn Saalih al-`Uthaymeen رحمه الله , Sharh Riyaad as-Saaliheen]
Original post by Lord Samosa
I think it's a case of leaving it later and not praying early. As well as just tiredness from work, however I found out we have a prayer room in our office so I think that will help me stay on track with my prayers and is such a relief to find out.

I just want some guided learning about Islam, I feel like when I try to do it myself, I'm lost at where to start and research what. And I definitely want to get a more in depth understanding. (Instead of just knowing what's halal, and when to pray for example)

Barakallahu feek.

InshaaAllah we're all happy to share as much as we can. Perhaps suggest a topic to explore first - for example, this might be the relation of one to the Rabb, it might be Salaah or it might be contemplating on the Quran.
Reply 2069

Yes leaving it later does make you more lazy and I have experienced it myself, hence the sooner the better. Glad to know you have found a way at your work place :yep:
When it comes to tiredness, I feel it before and then after my prayers usually it goes away....it is when I realise that it was probs the shaitaan preventing me from praying :colonhash:

I take Islam as an ocean of knowledge, if that makes any sense lol, hence we all always need to learn,understand, seek guidance and need reminding throughout our life SubhanAllah.

BarakAllahu Feek :h:
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
Don't Forget About Fasting This Sunday!The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about fasting on the day of ‘Arafah and he said: “It expiates the sins for the past and coming years.” Narrated by Muslim (1162) According to another report: “I ask Allaah that it may expiate for (the sins of) the year that comes before it and the year that comes after it.”
to what extent? if I kill somebody and 'fast on the day of arafah' would I be forgiven?
via Mehdi Hasan Sheikh

For the past few months I have been working on this project to help spread the seerah and make the learning of it easier. It is a large poster measuring 8 ft x 3 ft. The intent is to spread this for free as a PDF and who ever wants to print it can print it. I used the following text books for the historical information:
1. Ar Raheeq Al-makhtum (darussalam)
2. Life of the Noble Prophet (saws) by Sallabi (3 vols)
3. Life of the Messenger by Imam Nawawi (published by Al-hidayah)
4. Life of the Prophet Muhammad by Dr. Mustafa As-Sibā'ī
5. History of Islam (Darussalam)
6. As-Sirat An-Nabawiyyah by Ibn Kathir (4 vols published by Center of Muslim Contribution to Civilization)
7. Biographies of Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali and Hasan ibn Ali by Sallabi (darussalam and IIPH)
My heartfelt thanks to all the brothers and sisters who helped out in the fruition of this project, especially to Khan HA and Moutasem Al-Hameedy for their valuable notes.
Please share this with your friends and family and if anyone wants to provide any feedback they can do so in the email address provided in the poster.
Please don't say "there's too much information" as part of the feedback. That's just retarded.

The poster:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jyzn5cwlrnwdwwt/time-line-of+the-seerah_v1.0.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BasharAssad
to what extent? if I kill somebody and 'fast on the day of arafah' would I be forgiven?

Only minor sins, for major sins a person must repent.

Incredible poster.
Thanks for sharing.
It is interesting to see inovative and new ways of spreading the serah of the prophet in this digital age we live.
Salam everyone. Are there any Australian muslims among you?
Original post by Saba XD

Original post by Warrior Gene
Salam everyone. Are there any Australian muslims among you?

Wa'alaykumasalaam guys.

Haven't seen any Australian Muslims here. Are you from Australia?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Wa'alaykumasalaam guys.

Haven't seen any Australian Muslims here. Are you from Australia?

No was just interested to know as I may move there soon.

That's good to hear.

Yh I totally get you. Knowing what's halal and what isn't is good but it doesn't give you like strong imaan at the start imo.

When I asked someone where I should learning, they recommended the seerah books + learning the Qur'an (by working on recitation and increasing understanding).

BarakAllahu Feek.
Original post by s_ahmed2
Only minor sins, for major sins a person must repent.

I don't wish to have a massive debate in this forum, but can you elaborate on minor and major sins?

Can you objectively determine if a type of sin is minor or major?

Latest

Trending

Trending