The Student Room Group

How would you do this maths question?

Mr and Mrs Jones have two children. The youngest child is called Helen. What is the probability that Mr and Mrs Jones have 2 daughters?

I have a feeling that I'm overcomplicating what is a rather simple question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chandmeister
Mr and Mrs Jones have two children. The youngest child is called Helen. What is the probability that Mr and Mrs Jones have 2 daughters?

A half. Eliminating the gender of one child leaves room for only 2 options for the other child. Either that, or I am missing complexity here. It's a rather simple question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
A half. Eliminating the gender of one child leaves room for only 2 options for the other child. Either that, or I am missing complexity here. It's a rather simple question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_or_Girl_paradox
wouldn't you do conditional probability

Reply 4
Original post by zainyyyyy
wouldn't you do conditional probability

Did you read the article?

Oh dear. Don't ask that question on TSR, you'll have 75 people rapidly descend on you calling you a cis gendered moron. What if Helen identifies as a donkey with 3.5 legs etc?

SS
Reply 6
are you unable to answer a simple question or are you up your own arse for going cambridge?

lol wat
Reply 7
Hmmmmmm
Original post by Zacken
Did you read the article?

are you unable to answer a simple question or are you up your own arse for going cambridge?

I think someone's salty
(edited 7 years ago)

Wikipedia lies. I wouldn't trust it mate. Even I could edit it and type in some bs.
salty about?

him going cambridge doesnt mean he's better than me
Original post by ValerieKR
I think someone's salty
salty about?

Where did you pull Cambridge from? What does that have to do with anything???
Reply 12
Original post by Kryptonian
Wikipedia lies. I wouldn't trust it mate. Even I could edit it and type in some bs.

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/15055/in-a-family-with-two-children-what-are-the-chances-if-one-of-the-children-is-a

Better? It's a well known paradox.
salty about?

You took personal offence at a simple question - nobody was/is thinking 'haha i'm better than you' and he never even mentioned anything about Cambridge nor valuation of people based on maths abilities.
(edited 7 years ago)
50% me thinks
Reply 15

B = Boy G = Girl
BB = 0.25
BG | GB = 0.50
GG = 0.25
Reply 16
Original post by skkrrr
B = Boy G = Girl
BB = 0.25
BG | GB = 0.50
GG = 0.25

See above- you are not incorporating useful information that tells you BB = 0
Reply 17
Original post by mik1a
See above- you are not incorporating useful information that tells you BB = 0

What do you mean? Nothing in the question tells you the gender of 'Helen' or there is no boys. So you have to assume Helen can be male or female meaning what I said above is correct in that sense?
Reply 18
so was i right?
Reply 19
Original post by skkrrr
so was i right?

No.

Quick Reply

Latest