The Student Room Group

Sixth form: Grammar school or state school?

I have my heart set on studying law at Cambridge university. I am 15 and just starting year 11 with 2 A* in Maths and English already. By the end of this year, I hope to have 6 A* in total, 3 A and a B (my realistic aspirations).
I go to a brilliant school that, this year, had the best GCSE results in the county and is in the top 5% of schools, nationally. Unfortunately, the A-Level results are not coherent with the GCSE results and the head teacher has, in the past, considered getting rid of the sixth form center.
So, what do you think of grammar schools? I live about 45 minutes from a grammar school which isn't convenient, but I have to realistically weigh up what will be most beneficial and opportunistic. Apparently Cqmbridge judge undergraduate candidates by comparing the performances of the candidate to the other students in that school. How true is this?
Also if their are any Cambridge students reading this, I'd be interested in asking some questions so please leave a comment!
Any comment are much appreciated!
Original post by mhopkins
I have my heart set on studying law at Cambridge university. I am 15 and just starting year 11 with 2 A* in Maths and English already. By the end of this year, I hope to have 6 A* in total, 3 A and a B (my realistic aspirations).
I go to a brilliant school that, this year, had the best GCSE results in the county and is in the top 5% of schools, nationally. Unfortunately, the A-Level results are not coherent with the GCSE results and the head teacher has, in the past, considered getting rid of the sixth form center.
So, what do you think of grammar schools? I live about 45 minutes from a grammar school which isn't convenient, but I have to realistically weigh up what will be most beneficial and opportunistic. Apparently Cqmbridge judge undergraduate candidates by comparing the performances of the candidate to the other students in that school. How true is this?
Also if their are any Cambridge students reading this, I'd be interested in asking some questions so please leave a comment!
Any comment are much appreciated!

I'm in year 13 at a girls' grammar school. The environment is very high pressure, but it gets the results. Every year we have several people going to Oxbridge, and the support system is amazing, in terms of UCAS, teaching etc.

I would say definitely go and look at some grammar schools, and consider them, because I've never heard anything about candidates being judged based on school performance (can they even do that?) and it is in the school's interest to get all good results, so yours will be good too.

I travel 40 minutes to school and have since year 7: it isn't a problem if transport is reliable. It's quite a nice slot to 'wind down' between school and starting homework.

If high pressure environments aren't your thing, don't do it, but judging by the fact you want to do Law at Cambridge, I'd say not!
Reply 2
Original post by stressedaquarius
I'm in year 13 at a girls' grammar school. The environment is very high pressure, but it gets the results. Every year we have several people going to Oxbridge, and the support system is amazing, in terms of UCAS, teaching etc.

I would say definitely go and look at some grammar schools, and consider them, because I've never heard anything about candidates being judged based on school performance (can they even do that?) and it is in the school's interest to get all good results, so yours will be good too.

I travel 40 minutes to school and have since year 7: it isn't a problem if transport is reliable. It's quite a nice slot to 'wind down' between school and starting homework.

If high pressure environments aren't your thing, don't do it, but judging by the fact you want to do Law at Cambridge, I'd say not!

As odd as it sounds, I love working under pressure and I am accustomed to it as I often put myself under a lot of pressure when it comes to school. No one in my family has ever been to university to do such a professional degree so my education is extremely important to me.
The distance between me and the school does not hinder me, the issue is that I'd have to travel by train and due to connections, it will take about 90 minutes, (on the contrary to what you said, is probably use this time to do homework).
I will definitely be looking around at the open evenings of various grammar schools as only then will I have a greater perception of what to expect.
In the last 2 years, only 3 people from my current school have been accepted to Oxbridge.
Are you applying to Oxbridge?
Thank you fo commenting :smile:
Reply 3
I think I'm just anxious that if, for whatever reason, I am not accepted into Cambridge, I will forever be wondering if I mad the right decision for high school.
Original post by mhopkins
As odd as it sounds, I love working under pressure and I am accustomed to it as I often put myself under a lot of pressure when it comes to school. No one in my family has ever been to university to do such a professional degree so my education is extremely important to me.
The distance between me and the school does not hinder me, the issue is that I'd have to travel by train and due to connections, it will take about 90 minutes, (on the contrary to what you said, is probably use this time to do homework).
I will definitely be looking around at the open evenings of various grammar schools as only then will I have a greater perception of what to expect.
In the last 2 years, only 3 people from my current school have been accepted to Oxbridge.
Are you applying to Oxbridge?
Thank you fo commenting :smile:

There is quite a big difference between 40 and 90 minutes! Personally I would find that exhausting after a long day. You would simply have to try it several times, I guess. You have to always remember that something that is fine in bright sunshine will also be done in rain, dark, snow, with a cold, etc, etc.

Personally I'm applying to Russel Group unis but not Oxbridge, though a few of my friends are.

Also, remember not to worry if you change your mind about what you want to do. You will know more stuff by the end of year 12 than you do at the beginning of year 11, and that's fine. It won't mean you've failed, even if you change your priorities. :smile:
I've been at a grammar school since year 7 and I wouldn't look anywhere else; I'm now at its sixth form and only after 5 days, I can tell that the support system will get me places. I also want to study law at Cambridge, and with the standard of teaching that I receive, I think it is very much probable. My school is one of the top three in my borough, and in the top ten in the region. If you have high expectations you want to go to a school where they understand what it is like to get students into Oxbridge, and that is more likely at a grammar school.

Quick Reply

Latest