The Student Room Group

North Korea has done its fifth nuclear test

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
Yes I know that. However we can insist on it with the threat of military action without compliance and when I say we I mean NATO nations not the UN

On what grounds could NATO become involved?

Unless my world geography is bizarrely far off, South Korea is not a NATO country, nor does the peninsula jut into the Atlantic, north or otherwise.
North Korea will kill itself.
Original post by paul514
If we turn up in force they will get flattened they have a big Air Force and army but their weapons are crap compared to ours

North Korea has approximately 8million in its armed forces, and every citizen would be expected to fight in the case of an invasion.

NATO has, depending on how you work it out, slightly less than a third of that.

Those are not good odds, no matter how outdated their weaponry.
Original post by Drewski
North Korea has approximately 8million in its armed forces, and every citizen would be expected to fight in the case of an invasion.

NATO has, depending on how you work it out, slightly less than a third of that.

Those are not good odds, no matter how outdated their weaponry.

It sounds from defectors as if things like morale and professionalism in their armed forces are pretty low and as you say, probably most of their armour and weaponry is mediocre. You make a good point though, they could probably win a lot of battles with blind obedience and sheer numbers, assuming the troops don't turn round and massacre the leadership in the meantime.

There are millions and millions of mines laid in between the DPRK and the South, so that's another rather large problem that gets in the way of sudden attacks, on both sides.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It sounds from defectors as if things like morale and professionalism in their armed forces are pretty low and as you say, probably most of their armour and weaponry is mediocre. You make a good point though, they could probably win a lot of battles with blind obedience and sheer numbers, assuming the troops don't turn round and massacre the leadership in the meantime.

There are millions and millions of mines laid in between the DPRK and the South, so that's another rather large problem that gets in the way of sudden attacks, on both sides.

You can take their Air Force first and carpet bomb the mined areas.

They would crumble

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
On what grounds could NATO become involved?

Unless my world geography is bizarrely far off, South Korea is not a NATO country, nor does the peninsula jut into the Atlantic, north or otherwise.

The fact that they are more of a threat to the USA by the months that pass.

The USA is a NATO member

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
You can take their Air Force first and carpet bomb the mined areas.

They would crumble

You are grossly over simplifying matters due to your own ignorance.

Original post by paul514
The fact that they are more of a threat to the USA by the months that pass.

The USA is a NATO member

They're not a threat to the US. The only countries they're a direct threat to are SK and, at a push, Japan. Neither of whom are NATO members.
Original post by Drewski

No they're not.

NATO's units have a higher attack power than North Korean ones, which are also terrible at anti-air. Just move the NATO units onto the NK city and in a few turns it'll be in NATO control.

I mean it works like that in Civ 5.
Original post by Drewski

They're not a threat to the US. The only countries they're a direct threat to are SK and, at a push, Japan. Neither of whom are NATO members.

So the development of the bomb and long range missiles aren't going to be a threat to the west coast in the coming years....

Ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
So the development of the bomb and long range missiles aren't going to be a threat to the west coast in the coming years....

Ok

Have you seen their long range missiles? They're lucky if they find the sea...

Technically, they can already hit US soil. They're still not a threat directly to the states, but they are a threat to that part of the Pacific.
Original post by Drewski
Have you seen their long range missiles? They're lucky if they find the sea...

Technically, they can already hit US soil. They're still not a threat directly to the states, but they are a threat to that part of the Pacific.

In the coming years I said.

It will happen if the current government is in charge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
In the coming years I said.

It will happen if the current government is in charge

You have remarkable knowledge of their weapons programme.

Since you're into telling the future, could you also give me tomorrow's lottery numbers?
Reply 32
Original post by paul514
If we turn up in force they will get flattened they have a big Air Force and army but their weapons are crap compared to ours

Posted from TSR Mobile

What part of usable nukes and decimation of Asia are you not understanding here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
What part of usable nukes and decimation of Asia are you not understanding here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't have them yet but they will in the coming years hence why now is the time it's too late in ten years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
You have remarkable knowledge of their weapons programme.

Since you're into telling the future, could you also give me tomorrow's lottery numbers?

Look your taking the piss the point of a weapons program is to make what you are developing, they will get there, especially when it is existing tech.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by paul514
They don't have them yet but they will in the coming years hence why now is the time it's too late in ten years

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do have them now. They have between 10 and 15. They've carried out 5 nuclear tests already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Look your taking the piss the point of a weapons program is to make what you are developing, they will get there, especially when it is existing tech.

I'm taking the piss but you, being happy to cause hundreds of thousands of deaths at minimum, are not? Sure fella.

And no, is not guaranteed, because the development will cost money and resources, neither of which NK are rich in.
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can tell residents of South Korea, and especially Seoul why they're going to get their cities glassed.
Problem has never been we can't take out North Korea, especially if an arrangement for China-friendly government is proposed, problem is they have nukes and we'd rather not see Seoul nuked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending