The Student Room Group

June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Davij038
Will there be an extra £350 million for the NHS then?

I always said Britain would of course survive leaving the EU but that we'd be worse off (just as Scotland would survive leaving the UK). I am quite willing to be proved wrong if brexit turns out to be great- but I doubt it. All we've had is waffle and the likes of Boris and Fox supporting squalid dictatorships as they desperately try and make quick fix trade deals. Our kith and kin in Australia have already said it's going
To take a while.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/australia-says-there-will-not-be-a-brexit-trade-deal-with-uk-for-years-a7229366.html%3famp?client=safari

That said I think we may as well get on with brexit and crack on with doing what we can certainly do now- cutting immigration into this country and end this unhealthy fixation.

@Foo.mp3

So which major campaign said there would be an extra £350m a week for the NHS, I kept asking people but nobody has yet been able to tell me, just like most questions asked to Remain supporters and now remoaners

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james813
"Will there be an extra £350 million for the NHS then?"
I never said that. You are confusing my personal views with a westminister campaign (I supported Grassroots Out). But there will certainly be economic growth, and reclaiming our EU contributions, if the government handles brexit correctly.

It was the officially designated brexit group. I'm sorry your Judean people's front group didn't win :smile:

"I always said Britain would of course survive leaving the EU"
That's not the impression you gave but I am glad you have turned a corner.

No corner has been turned- it was always my position.

"Our kith and kin in Australia have already said it's going to take a while."What?!
Australia has been calling for a free trade agreement since the vote, at the earliest possible opportunity (we can't make deals until we leave the EU, as I told you before). So have New Zealand and tons of other nations before we even asked!!

Taking at least three years until after the deal most likely with us with a WTO deal:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/australia-says-there-will-not-be-a-brexit-trade-deal-with-uk-for-years-a7229366.html%3famp?client=safari

(And it remains to be seen if we are better off).

And if you ever have a real job you will see why our current immigration policy (not the immigrants) is such a huge problem.

The libertarian in me wants to point out that immigration isn't really a problem for 'real' jobs- you never hear doctors complaining about immigrants taking their jobs etc.

Personally in my experience working a variety of jobs from construction worker to nurse I can say that immigration is seldom the issue* except in terms of domestic policy - but this is generally a problem with third world immigration. Open borders isn't a problem with similar countries.

* I disagree with the idea of wage compression, and it is an idea just like trickle down economics.

For instance in the care sector we rely overwhelmingly on immigration. This is because generally the natives aren't prepared to do the work and the companies/ government aren't prepared to raise wages. A lack of supply (immigration) will not mean that care staff are going to get paid significantly if anything more.

Or for instance the editor of the express not giving his newspaper staff a pay rise whilst giving himself a big bonus every year ( whilst printing out stories about Romanians keeping your wage down) -

...many, many more examples.

In short I think the answer ideally would have been an EU wide minimum wage and stronger non EU border controls.
It was the officially designated brexit group. I'm sorry your Judean people's front group didn't win :smile:

Which no remainer or remoaner has yet been able to cite a source for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cite a source for what?

Also, the oh so hilarious 'remoaner' label I don't really think is applicable to me as I want brexit to go ahead (and be judged accordingly)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by queen-bee
My ex was Russian. But what will happen to my European friends? Will they be deported? Some of them are expats and some students

Original post by queen-bee
What are you talking about,ofcourse we will!

#votelondonindependence

lmaoo of course they won’t be deported.
and trust me, nobody will miss london.
Original post by frankielogue
lmaoo of course they won’t be deported.
and trust me, nobody will miss london.

Spoken like a true non Londoner :u:
Original post by Rakas21
Did you not once say that you intend to marry a foreigner and feel more Syrian than English anyway?

who knows who I'll marry but I suppose I will. And yes,I don't really feel English,not that I can call myself that? British is more like it*

osted from TSR Mobile

Gisela Stuart, who was chair and leader of the official leave campaign said:

"Every week we send £350m to Brussels. I'd rather that we control how to spend that money, and if I had that control I would spend it on the NHS."

The claim was challenged many times during the campaign - by Remain supporters and official statistic authorities. The opportunity for Leave to say "oh, we don't actually mean it... it's just all bluster really" was there, yet they stuck by it.
Cite a source for what?

Also, the oh so hilarious 'remoaner' label I don't really think is applicable to me as I want brexit to go ahead (and be judged accordingly)

Vote leave saying Brexit=£350m a week more to the NHS

Original post by InnerTemple
Gisela Stuart, who was chair and leader of the official leave campaign said:

"Every week we send £350m to Brussels. I'd rather that we control how to spend that money, and if I had that control I would spend it on the NHS."

The claim was challenged many times during the campaign - by Remain supporters and official statistic authorities. The opportunity for Leave to say "oh, we don't actually mean it... it's just all bluster really" was there, yet they stuck by it.

So now we've shifted from the campaign saying it, to a member of it saying it who has a total of no say on the matter?

Makes a change from the usual "look at teh bus, it clearly says a bazillion pounds are definitely going to go to the NHS!!!11!!1!"
Vote leave saying Brexit=£350m a week more to the NHS

!1!"

Here is Dominic Cummings director of vote leave saying it- is that proof enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjShkGCa4c

I also got sent a leaflet with that figure from vote leave and that figure is also plastered on their site.
Here is Dominic Cummings director of vote leave saying it- is that proof enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjShkGCa4c

I also got sent a leaflet with that figure from vote leave and that figure is also plastered on their site.

That's hilarious, because so much of it is Tyrie saying "these two different things are different"

I have a pair of leaflets in front of me right now, and I would guess one of them will be the one you refer to, one is the 5 positive reasons one, the other is the NHs leaflet, and this is what each one says:

"We send over £350m to the EU every week... If we Vote Leave, we can spend our money on out priorities - like the NHS, schools, and housing"

"Every week politicians send £350m of our money to the EU... If we stop sending millions every week to Brussels we could spend it on our priorities like the NHS...If we Vote Leave we will be able to spend a lot of that £20bn a year on the NHS rather than the EU"

Nowhere there does it say that £350m a week will be spent on the NHS, in fact the latter explicitly states that there is no expectation for this to be the case.

How about we change the wording and situation a little to this: "If my pay were doubled I would be able to spend more on my priorities, such as buying a new suit." Now, what does that say to you, that I will buy a suit that costs tens of thousands or that I will (technically could) buy a new suit, with no specified price?
So now we've shifted from the campaign saying it, to a member of it saying it who has a total of no say on the matter?

She isn't just a member of the campaign. She was the leader and chair of the campaign.

You asked for a source - and I gave it to you.
That's hilarious, because so much of it is Tyrie saying "these two different things are different"

?

I have a pair of leaflets in front of me right now, and I would guess one of them will be the one you refer to, one is the 5 positive reasons one, the other is the NHs leaflet, and this is what each one says:

"We send over £350m to the EU every week... If we Vote Leave, we can spend our money on out priorities - like the NHS, schools, and housing"

"Every week politicians send £350m of our money to the EU... If we stop sending millions every week to Brussels we could spend it on our priorities like the NHS...If we Vote Leave we will be able to spend a lot of that £20bn a year on the NHS rather than the EU"

Nowhere there does it say that £350m a week will be spent on the NHS, in fact the latter explicitly states that there is no expectation for this to be the case.

Except it's half that amount as the other half stays with us. It's like us taking out 359 out in cash but only spending half of it.

How about we change the wording and situation a little to this: "If my pay were doubled I would be able to spend more on my priorities, such as buying a new suit." Now, what does that say to you, that I will buy a suit that costs tens of thousands or that I will (technically could) buy a new suit, with no specified price?

Sure. Except the pay is the same, you have to pay lengthy sums to relocate to your new job and the new suit you've ordered is not in the colour or size you wanted.

When you try and return the suit the shop keeper refuses and says that if you liked the colour he sent you and if you shrunk a couple of inches the suit would be perfect.

Edit: oh and it turns out that you for even have the job after all and have to reportage your house and you can't afford the suit and are now in debt.

http://www.gponline.com/brexit-leave-nhs-facing-500m-a-week-shortfall-2030/article/1401105

@L i b
@gladders
(edited 7 years ago)

X

The delusion from you is astonishing.

You're like Daniel Hannan. Pretending the brexit vote was some massive vote of populist support for free markets.

Libertarians riding a wave of **** they don't understand (or don't want to) and can't control.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The delusion from you is astonishing.

You're like Daniel Hannan. Pretending the brexit vote was some massive vote of populist support for free markets.

Libertarians riding a wave of **** they don't understand (or don't want to) and can't control.

The experience in the US suggests that it will be sooner rather than later that their self-delusion bubble gets popped by the authoritarian right whose coat-tails they have ridden.
Interesting article in the Telegraph saying that the commision expects us to beg... i dare say given the current movement that the real shock for them will be how little we want, how far detached we want our relationship to be.

When i voted, in my mind i expected a pretty easy transition to a Norway agreement (people overreacting but in the end, eu-lite). It's somewhat suprising how much pressure there is to actually leave the single market for better or worse and also how willing May is to go with it.

Eventually i think we'll go for Canada with a bit more icing on the cake.
Original post by Rakas21
Interesting article in the Telegraph saying that the commision expects us to beg... i dare say given the current movement that the real shock for them will be how little we want, how far detached we want our relationship to be.

When i voted, in my mind i expected a pretty easy transition to a Norway agreement (people overreacting but in the end, eu-lite). It's somewhat suprising how much pressure there is to actually leave the single market for better or worse and also how willing May is to go with it.

Eventually i think we'll go for Canada with a bit more icing on the cake.

France and co are spouting the nonsense of them demanding a visa from British citizens if we go over there, well two can play at that game and they'd need a visa to come here as well. Wonder how long they'd like that for.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
France and co are spouting the nonsense of them demanding a visa from British citizens if we go over there, well two can play at that game and they'd need a visa to come here as well. Wonder how long they'd like that for.

That's alright - they still have the rest of the EU in which they can travel around.

A 2013 survey found that most French people stayed in their own country for vacations. This is probably down to the fact that they have access to nice beaches and good weather. The same can be said of most other continental EU countries - especially given that the top reason for going on holiday was 'sun/beaches'.

The UK didn't even come within the top 5 holiday destinations for other EU countries.

So I'd still say that the UK is getting the poorer deal.
There are plenty of other more exotic countries besides France Germany and co that British citizens can go to on their holidays without needing a visa. For example many countries in South America, Malaysia, Thailand etc. If anything maybe this will encourage people to broaden their horizons.

Also we'll be getting reduced influx of certain citizens of certain Eastern European countries, which is really what the aim was anyway
Original post by InnerTemple
That's alright - they still have the rest of the EU in which they can travel around.

A 2013 survey found that most French people stayed in their own country for vacations. This is probably down to the fact that they have access to nice beaches and good weather. The same can be said of most other continental EU countries - especially given that the top reason for going on holiday was 'sun/beaches'.

The UK didn't even come within the top 5 holiday destinations for other EU countries.

So I'd still say that the UK is getting the poorer deal.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
There are plenty of other more exotic countries besides France Germany and co that British citizens can go to on their holidays without needing a visa. For example many countries in South America, Malaysia, Thailand etc. If anything maybe this will encourage people to broaden their horizons.

Cool - lets sort out my Autumn holiday plans!

London to Barcelona. Flight time: 2 hours and 15 minutes. Cost: £40

London to Phuket. Flight time: 21 hours and 40 minutes. Cost: £430

Lets try Rio! Flight time: 11 hours (Yay!) Cost: £690... (oh)

10 times the cost. 10 times duration of travel. I'm still not seeing how this is a good thing... especially given that non EU destinations were already an option for British holiday makers.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending