The Student Room Group

My teacher is acting slightly strangely?

Hi, so a bit of backstory here, I've just started my A2 year and I've got a new science teacher. He's a pretty good teacher, and I'm actually enjoying my lessons but he's a bit odd...

There's only four of us in the class so its pretty quiet, to make up for that he asks a load of questions, but specifically he's always looking at me?? He doesn't stand at the front of the class/at his desk to teach, he's always to the side of the first row so he faces me diagonally. I'm quite a shy student and I've always had problems with speaking up in class, but with this new teacher I find it easier, however the constant eye contact does make it a bit awkward. I also had a bit of extra knowledge on a topic because I've studied it in another subject and he seemed quite surprised/impressed by it. Due to this he's also learned my name, and keeps calling on me, but he struggles with one of the other student's names, even if there are only four of us!

I read ahead and made some notes for our most recent lesson, thinking it was set homework, but nope! It was the stuff we were doing in class that day, he also asked me if I read ahead every lesson, and made up some extra extension questions for me. He also kept staring at me again, but realised what he was doing and apologised...

Am I just reading into things too deeply or do things actually seem weird? Why is he so focused on me? I'm not disruptive, I just get on with my work but he tends to always ask me questions and yeah i just find it awkward.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so a bit of backstory here, I've just started my A2 year and I've got a new science teacher. He's a pretty good teacher, and I'm actually enjoying my lessons but he's a bit odd...

There's only four of us in the class so its pretty quiet, to make up for that he asks a load of questions, but specifically he's always looking at me?? He doesn't stand at the front of the class/at his desk to teach, he's always to the side of the first row so he faces me diagonally. I'm quite a shy student and I've always had problems with speaking up in class, but with this new teacher I find it easier, however the constant eye contact does make it a bit awkward. I also had a bit of extra knowledge on a topic because I've studied it in another subject and he seemed quite surprised/impressed by it. Due to this he's also learned my name, and keeps calling on me, but he struggles with one of the other student's names, even if there are only four of us!

I read ahead and made some notes for our most recent lesson, thinking it was set homework, but nope! It was the stuff we were doing in class that day, he also asked me if I read ahead every lesson, and made up some extra extension questions for me. He also kept staring at me again, but realised what he was doing and apologised...

Am I just reading into things too deeply or do things actually seem weird? Why is he so focused on me? I'm not disruptive, I just get on with my work but he tends to always ask me questions and yeah i just find it awkward.

Do you mind if I ask if you are a guy or girl?
Reply 2
Original post by Kryptonian
Do you mind if I ask if you are a guy or girl?

Not at all, I'm a girl
Not at all, I'm a girl

You could be being paranoid i think buddy. Perhaps you are just the best student?
Maybe you are in a good position within his view to stare toward. Some places are just better to stare at when day dreaming etc than others.

Teachers often like the best students so maybe it's that.
With regards to him asking you questions, maybe its because your name is easy to pronounce so, he just feels like asking you all the questions.

Why not ask other students in your class what they feel about this new teacher, it might give you a new perspective and some may have spotted the staring.
Not at all, I'm a girl

Maybe he thinks you're cute. Some teachers do this for different reasons, like if they think that you're the smartest there, or the opposite ;P
This exact thing has been happening to me for ages, its because you're perceived as the smartest in the class to teacher looks at you all the time for constant reassurance that they're doing a good job. So hey be proud of it its certainly not a bad thing
Reply 7
Original post by Squishy•
You could be being paranoid i think buddy. Perhaps you are just the best student?
Maybe you are in a good position within his view to stare toward. Some places are just better to stare at when day dreaming etc than others.

Teachers often like the best students so maybe it's that.

Aha yeah, I guess that could just be it.
Reply 8
Original post by Blackstarr
With regards to him asking you questions, maybe its because your name is easy to pronounce so, he just feels like asking you all the questions.

Why not ask other students in your class what they feel about this new teacher, it might give you a new perspective and some may have spotted the staring.

Yeah I suppose so😅 but all our names are pretty common, and that's a good idea, I'll definitely do that! Thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by mcneill98
Maybe he thinks you're cute. Some teachers do this for different reasons, like if they think that you're the smartest there, or the opposite ;P

Yikes, well I guess I'll never know:biggrin:
Original post by tombellsdfg
This exact thing has been happening to me for ages, its because you're perceived as the smartest in the class to teacher looks at you all the time for constant reassurance that they're doing a good job. So hey be proud of it its certainly not a bad thing

How do you cope with it? Like do you just ignore it or?? And thats quite flattering, but he's definitely overestimating me hahaha
I doubt there's more to it than the fact you sound like the strongest student in the class so it makes sense to look to you for answers
How do you cope with it? Like do you just ignore it or?? And thats quite flattering, but he's definitely overestimating me hahaha

Idk hahaha im just used to it the eye contact gets a bit extreme at sometimes so i just look down and pretend im concentrating on my work:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending