The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luisa88
Hello everybody!
I am also planning to do a Maths PGCE in London next year and, since I moved in here 3 months ago, deciding on teaching is a really new idea also for me!

My next steps will be:
- send all the papers to NARIC (does anyone know what exactly are we supposed to send and what do they usually recognise?)
- try to get school experience (I have emailed some schools but they didn't answer, maybe cause it's the first week back... I also called the School Experience Program and they told me as well to call them back at the end of September [I wonder how can we manage to get some class experience if we have to send the application mid-October])
- choose the providers (I'm thinking about the King's college, cause I've read their prospectus and it seems interesting, but I expect the success rate will not be so high, especially for an EU-candidate who has no experience of the UK system like me)
- revise my English (sorry for any mistake!!)
- revise my GCSE and A levels maths
- write the personal statement (no idea of how to that: is it always the same kind of letter or does it depend on the school you choose?)

so.. I have things to do for the entire next year and the application must be sent in a month :wink: happy to have find this group guys!

Hello! Good luck with your application - given how much Maths teachers are needed I'm sure you'll have a good chance at Kings after you get a bit of experience. I believe you can do it! If you have any questions about how things work here I'm sure everyone on this thread will be happy to help you out :h:

Thanks for staying that about the school experience program though! When I called up I was told to call back in September, so it's good to know they meant the end of Septemeber instead of now. I think the only people who can apply in Ocotober are people who got experience in schools last year. It worries me because I want to send it off straight away incase they run out of places, but I try to remind myself that universities still have places for the courses starting this year now so there's no rush.

We can only wrote one personal statement for UCAS so it will have to work with all your options. For the moment I'm just making a Word document and writing down anything I think of that I could put in. For example, after I helped at a school for A Level results day I wrote a little paragraph about it. That way when I come to write it properly I just have to rearrange some things and make it all fit together (and I won't forget anything!). Maybe you could try that?

Good luck!
Reply 61
Original post by Firefly13
Hello! Good luck with your application - given how much Maths teachers are needed I'm sure you'll have a good chance at Kings after you get a bit of experience. I believe you can do it! If you have any questions about how things work here I'm sure everyone on this thread will be happy to help you out :h:

Thanks for staying that about the school experience program though! When I called up I was told to call back in September, so it's good to know they meant the end of Septemeber instead of now. I think the only people who can apply in Ocotober are people who got experience in schools last year. It worries me because I want to send it off straight away incase they run out of places, but I try to remind myself that universities still have places for the courses starting this year now so there's no rush.

We can only wrote one personal statement for UCAS so it will have to work with all your options. For the moment I'm just making a Word document and writing down anything I think of that I could put in. For example, after I helped at a school for A Level results day I wrote a little paragraph about it. That way when I come to write it properly I just have to rearrange some things and make it all fit together (and I won't forget anything!). Maybe you could try that?

Good luck!

Thank you Firefly! So encouraging :smile:
Do you or Anna.Karenina know if at the King's they require a minimum number of hours of observation? I didn't found any information about that on the website: you can find a lot about the courses (and the summer readings :smile: )but not too much about the interviews and the process of application. I am going to write to them tonight in order to know a bit more and to ask if they are going to do some open events.
Also tomorrow I will email more schools in my area, I hope to have chance and find someone interested...
And for the personal statement, I will try and do as you suggest in order not to postpone too much :smile:

I will let you know if I have any news.
Original post by Luisa88
Thank you Firefly! So encouraging :smile:
Do you or Anna.Karenina know if at the King's they require a minimum number of hours of observation? I didn't found any information about that on the website: you can find a lot about the courses (and the summer readings :smile: )but not too much about the interviews and the process of application. I am going to write to them tonight in order to know a bit more and to ask if they are going to do some open events.
Also tomorrow I will email more schools in my area, I hope to have chance and find someone interested...
And for the personal statement, I will try and do as you suggest in order not to postpone too much :smile:

I will let you know if I have any news.

I haven't been able to find out much about the hours Kings want to see in an application. I remember reading somewhere they want a week (five days) before you start, but it didn't sound like they wanted a lot before you applied. I was going to try calling round some of my local schools in a few weeks, or use the school experience program when it opens and hope I get a week where I don't need to be in university where I can do it! Let me know if you hear back from anyone! :biggrin:
King's mention they want you to have been, or plan to go, to a secondary school, but they just want general experience working with children :-) Where else are you applying, Luisa88? :smile:
Reply 64
Not sure yet ...
I visited St Mary's University (Twickenham) last week. We had the opportunity to discuss with the mentors the process of application: they require at least 2 days of observation for a secondary PGCE but they told me to get in touch if I will have troubles in obtaining answers to schools. They had also some options in case you didn't get a GCSE (and they had still positions open for Sept 2016!!)
So, that can be an option. But I am also looking forward to knowing more about the Goldsmiths and, possibly, a School Direct option.
I know I have to be quick to decide, but I still do not get how to make a choice. Did you pick yours for locations, ratings, someone you know that suggested it... ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Luisa88
Not sure yet ...
I visited St Mary's University (Twickenham) last week. We had the opportunity to discuss with the mentors the process of application: they require at least 2 days of observation for a secondary PGCE but they told me to get in touch if I will have troubles in obtaining answers to schools. They had also some options in case you didn't get a PGCE (and they had still positions open for Sept 2016!!)
So, that can be an option. But I am also looking forward to knowing more about the Goldsmiths and, possibly, a School Direct option.
I know I have to be quick to decide, but I still do not get how to make a choice. Did you pick yours for locations, ratings, someone you know that suggested it... ?

You've still got plenty of time -- applications don't open for another six weeks at least :-)

I chose mine mainly based on location (I have a 7 month old to think about) and course content. I was accepted to UCL and King's for my undergrad so I know I like the universities already, but I'm also applying to Oxford because I've secretly always wanted to go there :-)
Reply 66
I'm studying Biochemistry at the moment and am probably going to apply for Biology or Chemistry Secondary PGCE at Uni of Hertfordshire. I'd really like to apply for Maths but not sure I'd get in as my degree is science :frown: if anyone has any personal statement help I'd appreciate it!
Really need to start drafting my personal statement but it's so hard to start...
Hi. I am hoping to go for French PGCE or in- school training..don't know which yet. I am a (Very) mature student and need a bursary or salary as I'll have to leave my job. Otherwise I can't do the course (not in a position to get a loan). French was a shortage subject in 2016-2017. Has anyone seen anything about funding for shortage subjects for 2017 yet ? Or is it way too early ? Cheers
Original post by super_kawaii
Just starting a thread to find other people thinking of applying to PGCEs for 2017 entry.

I'll be applying for Mandarin and French at the University of Sheffield :smile:

I'm thinking of applying for Business! My brother did it in English and loved it!
Original post by DaisyPop32
I'm thinking of applying for Business! My brother did it in English and loved it!

At Sheffield? I did my undergrad at Sheffield and I loved it so much I want to go back! It's an amazing uni and city
Original post by Luisa88

Do you or Anna.Karenina know if at the King's they require a minimum number of hours of observation? I didn't found any information about that on the website:

Hello again! I emailed Kings a few days ago asking a few questions and they told me they like to see around three days of classroom experience, but you don't need this before you make your application (but they would prefer you have it booked, rather than you planning on doing it). Hope this helps!
Reply 72
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I'm getting dark memories from having to write my UG personal statement! I hate them!

Feeling this haha... I just hope UCAS isnt as useless this time around!
Original post by musicistherapy1
Hi. I am hoping to go for French PGCE or in- school training..don't know which yet. I am a (Very) mature student and need a bursary or salary as I'll have to leave my job. Otherwise I can't do the course (not in a position to get a loan). French was a shortage subject in 2016-2017. Has anyone seen anything about funding for shortage subjects for 2017 yet ? Or is it way too early ? Cheers

I think languages will always be a shortage subject, so the bursary will still stand at £25k for language trainees. However the payment schedules for the bursary are different to when fees will be required by the uni, (fees to be paid in three payments, whereas the bursary will be paid monthly), so funding for the first fee payment at least will have to be obtained from elsewhere
Reply 74
Original post by Firefly13
Hello again! I emailed Kings a few days ago asking a few questions and they told me they like to see around three days of classroom experience, but you don't need this before you make your application (but they would prefer you have it booked, rather than you planning on doing it). Hope this helps!

Thank you very much! Happy to read that :smile:
As SFE cover teacher training, what is the function of bursaries? :-)
As SFE cover teacher training, what is the function of bursaries? :-)

As an extra encouragement to get top quality graduates into teaching.*

Personally I'm hoping to use the bursary and savings to fund my PGCE so I don't need a loan
Original post by super_kawaii
As an extra encouragement to get top quality graduates into teaching.*

Personally I'm hoping to use the bursary and savings to fund my PGCE so I don't need a loan

So we get bursaries for teaching? :biggrin:
So we get bursaries for teaching? :biggrin:

Depending on your subject and final uni grade, you may get a bursary. Some subjects are not eligible for any bursaries, but if you get a 2:1 in MFL, like my self, you're eligible for a £25k tax free, non repayable bursary
Does anyone know if a School Direct programme is more competitive than a normal PGCE? I have a school that's already offered to take me on :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending