The Student Room Group

Oxford and LSE law advice

Hello, I'm a student entering into year 12. I was wondering whether Biology, Chemistry and Geography are suitable choices for Law at LSE or Oxford. If so, I would like to know any precautions for the year ahead and how to prepare. I know I need to sit the LNAT. I was also thinking of work experience. How should I also prepare for my personal statement, since this is important for LSE?
Your subjects are fine, universities will be happy since they're traditional/preferred subjects (LSE have a list of preferred subjects, google it, easy to find). But since you're doing 3, why not pick up History since it's an essay subject? But you don't have to. Like the person above said, an EPQ/competitions would be sufficient but don't do them if you think they'll take too much time.

Precautions? Well, make sure you do well since I have friends who got A*/As in Bio and Chem yet got Cs/Ds and below in AS levels. Go over your notes daily, go to revision sessions, etc. Just make sure you're on top of everything.

Don't worry about the LNAT now. Do that over summer. Shepard's Mastering the National Admissions Test is the book I'm using. It's quite good. Also, the LNAT website has a few exams, you can try those too.

Also, you should definitely find work experience. Some big firms have work experience like Pinsent Masons and Clifford Chance but it is quite competitive so if you don't get those, just call a few local firms.

In terms of personal statement, it should mainly be about academic stuff. Your first paragraph should always be about why you want to study law. After that, talk about how your subjects link to law (what skills you gained), further reading you've done about law, summer schools, work experience, etc. If there's a case you thought was interesting, talk about it in detail (around a paragraph).

For extra curricular activities (should only make up around 1/4 of your PS), mention things you do at your sixth form. Debating club, school paper, head girl/boy etc. Just try to link them to law and how they'll make you a good law student.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by JohnGreek
I've personally met a girl at Oxford who only did quant subjects at A-level in preparation for a Medicine degree, but changed her mind last minute and got into Law instead. It's feasible, but I imagine that you will somehow need to compensate for having only science subjects through other means. You could do this, for example, doing an EPQ on something law related, participating in Law essay competitions (both Cambridge and Oxford have them around this time of year), and possibly taking on a fourth AS level that's a humanity (if you can still register for one).

There's plenty of LNAT advice on the Law forum - all you need to do is read through the relevant threads! A couple of useful ones are:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4290128
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4188045

Work experience will probably be done in the summer between Years 12 and 13, and usually involves shadowing a barrister or a solicitor for a week or two, or a short internship where you're entrusted to do secretarial work in an office somewhere. However, I should point out that there are definitely other acceptable alternatives out there.

Thank you for the advice. I cannot do an AS level unfortunately due to most the changes now in A Levels but knowing you knew someone who had the subjects for medicine helps. I will definitely consider an EPQ and try to find myself some work experience for the summer.
Reply 3
Original post by Punkrockfan
Your subjects are fine, universities will be happy since they're traditional/preferred subjects (LSE have a list of preferred subjects, google it, easy to find). But since you're doing 3, why not pick up History since it's an essay subject? But you don't have to. Like the person above said, an EPQ/competitions would be sufficient but don't do them if you think they'll take too much time.

Precautions? Well, make sure you do well since I have friends who got A*/As in Bio and Chem yet got Cs/Ds and below in AS levels. Go over your notes daily, go to revision sessions, etc. Just make sure you're on top of everything.

Don't worry about the LNAT now. Do that over summer. Shepard's Mastering the National Admissions Test is the book I'm using. It's quite good. Also, the LNAT website has a few exams, you can try those too.

Also, you should definitely find work experience. Some big firms have work experience like Pinsent Masons and Clifford Chance but it is quite competitive so if you don't get those, just call a few local firms.

In terms of personal statement, it should mainly be about academic stuff. Your first paragraph should always be about why you want to study law. After that, talk about how your subjects link to law (what skills you gained), further reading you've done about law, summer schools, work experience, etc. If there's a case you thought was interesting, talk about it in detail (around a paragraph).

For extra curricular activities (should only make up around 1/4 of your PS), mention things you do at your sixth form. Debating club, school paper, head girl/boy etc. Just try to link them to law and how they'll make you a good law student.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I was also wondering how often do graduates of unis like LSE and Oxford actually make it to the big firms? That's my end goal
Reply 4
Original post by JohnGreek
On the LSE side, the only thing I've heard on this is that around 50-60% of the year end up leaving with TCs, the vast majority for City (SC/MC) firms. This was from an Assistant Professor who works there, so I can imagine it to be fairly accurate. I imagine that the proportion may be even higher for Oxford, even though I haven't heard much on that front.

Thank you. Hopefully one day I can reach working for a major firm
Original post by ammad14
Thanks for the reply. I was also wondering how often do graduates of unis like LSE and Oxford actually make it to the big firms? That's my end goal

VERY often. Oxford (along with Cambridge) and LSE law students tend to get TC at top London firms quite easily. I spoke to a few law students at Trinity college who only applied to 6/7 vac schemes (or TCs, I cant remember) and managed to get most of them whilst some law students at university of Manchester were applying to 20+ TCs and still didn't get most, if any. Of course, that is not to say those at UoM don't get to big London firms. I visited Allen and Overy (Magic circle firm) this june and met 2 people who studied at Manchester uni. So, make what you will with all that.

Also, check this website (shows where firms recruit from, or at the very least which universities most trainees come from):

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
Reply 6
VERY often. Oxford (along with Cambridge) and LSE law students tend to get TC at top London firms quite easily. I spoke to a few law students at Trinity college who only applied to 6/7 vac schemes (or TCs, I cant remember) and managed to get most of them whilst some law students at university of Manchester were applying to 20+ TCs and still didn't get most, if any. Of course, that is not to say those at UoM don't get to big London firms. I visited Allen and Overy (Magic circle firm) this june and met 2 people who studied at Manchester uni. So, make what you will with all that.

Also, check this website (shows where firms recruit from, or at the very least which universities most trainees come from):

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Thanks for the reply. That's why I feel it's best if I try to get into Oxford or a London university, because it seems a better chance at the MC firms, and that's where the money is.
Original post by ammad14
Thanks for the reply. That's why I feel it's best if I try to get into Oxford or a London university, because it seems a better chance at the MC firms, and that's where the money is.

Yes, its a sound plan. Pretty much the same as me. Good luck with everything!
Reply 8
Yes, its a sound plan. Pretty much the same as me. Good luck with everything!

You too!

Quick Reply

Latest