The Student Room Group

Can I still get onto a speech and language therapy course?

Hi, so I've been very interested in becoming an SLT and have looked at many universities. My current AS Level options were Psychology, English Literature, French and Biology. The original plan was to drop French, but seeing as I got a U in Biology, I've decided to drop that instead. I wasn't able to take English Language, as it overlapped with Biology, so I chose Eng Lit instead.

I was just wondering that, with my current A Levels, would it still be possible to get onto any SLT courses?
Copying in @evantej, hopefully he can offer some advice.
Reply 2
Original post by perfectpieces
Hi, so I've been very interested in becoming an SLT and have looked at many universities. My current AS Level options were Psychology, English Literature, French and Biology. The original plan was to drop French, but seeing as I got a U in Biology, I've decided to drop that instead. I wasn't able to take English Language, as it overlapped with Biology, so I chose Eng Lit instead.

I was just wondering that, with my current A Levels, would it still be possible to get onto any SLT courses?

Your A level choices are excellent for speech and language therapy. Lots of colleges and sixth forms do not offer English language on its own so literature is a fine alternative. The fact there was a clash with your timetable does not matter too much; the universities do not need to know this.

The problem with you dropping biology is that is an entry requirement for some courses which cover anatomy and physiology properly. For example, Newcastle ask for at least a grade B at AS level if you have not got a full A level. When I applied for this course I had a degree and master's degree but they still turned me down because I had no biology (other universities gave me an unconditional offer). I did a part-time HEFC course in human biology and got in the following year. I honestly cannot imagine doing the course with only GCSEs in science. You are being taught proper anatomy and physiology by people who teach dental and medical students.

Newcastle might be the only university who actually ask for biology outright, but I have just had a look at a few of the other courses and they list biology as a desirable subject. If you fancied resitting biology then I would strongly recommend it. If not that is fine; your other choices are good.

Good luck with your application.

Original post by Snufkin
Copying in @evantej, hopefully he can offer some advice.

Duly obliged!
Reply 3
Plenty would take you on those A levels. Manchester doesn't ask for any specific A levels and Leeds Beckett have a preferred set but don't restrict entry requirements to those alone.*

Do you have experience with different client groups? *
Reply 4
Original post by evantej
Your A level choices are excellent for speech and language therapy. Lots of colleges and sixth forms do not offer English language on its own so literature is a fine alternative. The fact there was a clash with your timetable does not matter too much; the universities do not need to know this.

The problem with you dropping biology is that is an entry requirement for some courses which cover anatomy and physiology properly. For example, Newcastle ask for at least a grade B at AS level if you have not got a full A level. When I applied for this course I had a degree and master's degree but they still turned me down because I had no biology (other universities gave me an unconditional offer). I did a part-time HEFC course in human biology and got in the following year. I honestly cannot imagine doing the course with only GCSEs in science. You are being taught proper anatomy and physiology by people who teach dental and medical students.

Newcastle might be the only university who actually ask for biology outright, but I have just had a look at a few of the other courses and they list biology as a desirable subject. If you fancied resitting biology then I would strongly recommend it. If not that is fine; your other choices are good.

Good luck with your application.

Duly obliged!

thank you so much!! i was aware of Newcastle's condition, so that one is out of the picture, unfortunately. I've heard about the anatomy and physiology classes, too, and I did pass all my sciences at GCSE and even achieved a B in GCSE biology. i was considering still applying, and if they don't accept me, i'll resit biology.

i was wondering that when Newcastle didn't accept you, did they still specifically tell you that it was because you didn't do biology?
Reply 5
Original post by giella
Plenty would take you on those A levels. Manchester doesn't ask for any specific A levels and Leeds Beckett have a preferred set but don't restrict entry requirements to those alone.*

Do you have experience with different client groups? *

no, unfortunately, but i'm still looking. i've applied to one, but i'm not even sure if it's certain. i'm looking to do my EPQ on something related to speech therapy, and just for the extra mile, i'm learning the international phonetic alphabet. i actually learned it a long while ago for fun, but most of it has drifted from my mind.

i'm also looking to read more books about speech and language therapy to give myself a better understanding. do you think that this could be enough?
Reply 6
Original post by perfectpieces
no, unfortunately, but i'm still looking. i've applied to one, but i'm not even sure if it's certain. i'm looking to do my EPQ on something related to speech therapy, and just for the extra mile, i'm learning the international phonetic alphabet. i actually learned it a long while ago for fun, but most of it has drifted from my mind.

i'm also looking to read more books about speech and language therapy to give myself a better understanding. do you think that this could be enough?

Getting experience with the client groups is important. Experience in a primary school or an old people's home would be ideal. Even if you're not over eighteen you should be able to get this.

Learning the IPA is all well and good but unless you can apply it in some way there's not much benefit that you can get out of it in terms of fodder for a personal statement. Except perhaps in analysing poetry at a phonetic level for your Literature A level which I can heartily recommend!

Raising money for charities like ICAN, the Stroke Association or others that are similar would always be welcome. Shows a commitment to the profession and the causes they work in. If you do something like a sponsored silence or something that teaches you empathy with service users, all the better.*

Reading books is great as long as you learn something. Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a bit dull but something like Falling and Laughing is a good read.*

They ultimately want to see that you have skills that they can nurture. My personal statement was mostly skills-based and demonstrating my ability to work with specific client groups and the general public. I wasn't all singing and all dancing and worshipping at the temple of Speech and Language Therapy and I just presented myself as I was. Harder to do perhaps as an A level student but not impossible. If you find out what skills and qualities are needed in an SLT and can point to times that you have demonstrated them then that's half the battle won.*

Do PM if you have any questions. *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending