The Student Room Group

Downloading films at university?

Are universities generally strict about people using torrent sites to download films/tv shows/music? Don't want to end up with an internet ban lmao
I've never been aware of somebody being warned for illegal use, but hypothetically if somebody didn't take measures to hide their IP address and a company tracked them to the university network, I think the university would be obliged to take action.

Torrents are exceptional in that you upload as well as download the same file, and your IP address can be easily detected by others with the magnet link, so companies can snoop in and track down pirates and bring charges of sharing the content to others as well as simply using it themselves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nah. For the first month I was so paranoid about downloading or watching anything but after I stopped caring. One week I even downloaded around 80 GB worth of stuff and never got a warning.
Reply 3
If you download the Opera Developer browser, it has a built in VPN.*
Original post by josh_v
If you download the Opera Developer browser, it has a built in VPN.*

That's not useful if you're using torrents, you'd need the VPN details to put in the torrent client or windows, or a vpn app.
When I was in halls everyone had DC++ I'm not sure if it's still a thing but people were able to see and download any film you had (I saw Star Wars, and so many others through that thing)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could torrent at my halls, but it was throttled to the point of it not being worthwhile.
Talking 100kbps max

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Very much depends on the uni. Some will have no written policy but as for the above poster, will intentionally throttle back available bandwidth until it isn't feasible.

My current uni has a specific policy which forbids illegal downloading, monitors for it and treats it as an acaemic offence - genral uni regs prohibit anyone from using uni facilities/services for illegal purposes anyway. The usual first offence will get you a temporary internet block on campus and in Halls (access restricted to internal uni services only, usually for a month) but repeat offenders risk being thrown out.

If you do download from not-quite-legit sites frequently, don't be a charlie and draw attention to yourself. One of my pillock undergrad colleagues decided to store their bulk downloads on a uni server, filled the disk array and crashed it. That resulted in tea & biscuits with a disciplinary panel (without the biscuits) (or indeed the tea), an official warning on his permanent record which may be referred to in future job references, and no internet access from the uni network for six months.

And just because the guy in the room next door is getting away with it, doesn't mean you will. He might be using all sorts of interestig spoofing/proxy tricks that you don't know. At least ask him before you try it :wink:
Just tear the arse out of your parents' internet before you go. Stock up.
Netflix is a great investment....believe me it is!
You need to check the usage policy or guidelines. Our one specifically bans torrenting as far as I'm aware and you can get a pretty hefty fine.
If you're torrenting you should really be using a VPN anyway.
But no, very few monitor.
Make sure you're behind 11 proxies

Quick Reply

Latest