The Student Room Group

Loopa website for psychology revision

Has anyone here who does AQA psychology used the website called loopa? If so, was it successful in improving your overall grade?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by FNugent
Has anyone here who does AQA psychology used the website called loopa? If so, was it successful in improving your overall grade?

Yes - quite a lot of psychology students use it every year.
Reply 3
Original post by Psychteacher33
Dear AQA A-level Psychology students

This is a general comment to do with the LOOPA website and the products it
offers.

If you are thinking of using LOOPA products, it is HUGELY important that you
read the below.

I’m a very experienced Psychology teacher and examiner. Some of my students have paid for and shown me LOOPA’S notes. They also showed me an email he apparently sent out to people on his mailing list a few days ago saying that his notes cover ALL OF THE QUESTIONS you might be asked in the exams.

I’m sure LOOPA is a lovely guy and means well, etc…

His essays were useful for some sections of the old syllabus - which is where the pictures of the smiling students on his website come from…

But…
The ‘model answers’ he is selling are NOT APPROPRIATE for the vast majority of the NEW 2015+ AQA A-LEVEL PSYCHOLOGY exams.
He wrote them for the OLD syllabus and has edited them/included some new
topics but has ignored the fact that the TYPES of questions AQA ask have now
CHANGED.

Most questions are now short and medium length whereas his products only provides the longest 12 and 16 mark essays.
% of 12 and 16 mark long essays for both AS and the A-level exams are now:
Unit 1: 33% essays, 66% short and medium length questions
Unit 2: 13% essays, 87% short and medium length questions
Unit 3: 50% essays, 50% short and medium length questions

Therefore, overall, the 12 or 16 mark long essays only account for 23% of the AS exams + 32% of the A-level exams.

The LOOPA email my students showed me suggested that the vast majority of the exams were based on essays that could be answered using his model
answers.

This is simply wrong.

His website’s main tagline is ‘How To Get An A* Easily’.

With the new syllabus, you are not going to get an A* or anywhere near it by memorising LOOPA’s full-length essay answers.

This is basically MISINFORMATION and MARKETING SPIN and COMPLETELY IMMORAL.

The new A-level is much more about responding to shorter questions and requires a more tailored approach to answering exactly what the question asks rather than just memorising long essays.

There’s plenty more I could say about what LOOPA claims to be offering but...
enough said for the moment.

FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, PLEASE TAKE THIS MESSAGE SERIOUSLY.

ALSO PLEASE PASS THIS EMAIL AROUND to any friends you have who are sitting Psychology AS or A-level to let them know.

There are websites out there which definitely can help you but I would avoid
LOOPA.

I've used an essay from loopa (changed the wording and structure a bit) and given it to my psychology teacher to mark and she said it was full marks. I know you should learn from other textbooks to be able to answer short questions but the model answers are very good in my opinion if you want to get full marks in the essay questions.

Quick Reply

Latest