The Student Room Group

First Year Career Opportunities?

What first year career opportunities are there for Computer Science students?

I want to try and note events and deadlines in my calendar, for example summer internships, except most I find are for second year and beyond. Which internships can first years undertake and even outside of that what other things help boost your employability as a first year?
Well there are some summer intern ships. It would really help if you know someone in the field. I didn't and I tried to find an internship but couldn't :frown: also you can look for "insight weeks" which take place in March and it's a week for you to get some little experience in the industry.
Reply 2
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Well there are some summer intern ships. It would really help if you know someone in the field. I didn't and I tried to find an internship but couldn't :frown: also you can look for "insight weeks" which take place in March and it's a week for you to get some little experience in the industry.

You found insight weeks for CompSci in first year?

I guess this year I may as well chill with friends and just get a lousy part time retail gig.
Original post by TrojanH

I guess this year I may as well chill with friends and just get a lousy part time retail gig.

Banks have tech divisions bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Banks have tech divisions bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

aye pal but their spring weeks are just spring weeks, not really aimed at anything other than ibanking.
Original post by TrojanH
aye pal but their spring weeks are just spring weeks, not really aimed at anything other than ibanking.

Nah, I'm saying there specifically are spring weeks for technology roles.

Don't underestimate banks dude, Goldman's largest division is their tech division, Morgan Stanley spend a few billion a year on tech, etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Nah, I'm saying there specifically are spring weeks for technology roles.

Don't underestimate banks dude, Goldman's largest division is their tech division, Morgan Stanley spend a few billion a year on tech, etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^ yup, what Prince said

Goldman has various student opportunities, when I went for interview the tech division looked a great place to work. Hard work, but plenty of benefits.
Original post by TrojanH

That's exactly what I did for the summer between 1st and second year cuz it's a long summer (May to September) and I made over 3 grand, saved up about 2 and got some nifty things for second year. Don't expect much in terms of "profession" before you're in second year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending