The Student Room Group

A homosexual CofE Bishop!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mactotaur
Do you also kill women who are raped in the city (Deuteronomy 22:24-25)? No? Then you're violating the word of God and are not a true Christian.

Thats false

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read this sentence

Original post by StudyJosh
Catholics aren't even Bible-believing Christians so that's irrelevant.

and then ask yourself is this person in the mainstream of Christian, let alone Anglican, thought?

Why should this poster's opinions on this question be given any more importance than that of a Buddhist's?

Would you like me to quote the relevant section? It's absolutely true.
Original post by nulli tertius
Read this sentence

and then ask yourself is this person in the mainstream of Christian, let alone Anglican, thought?

Why should this poster's opinions on this question be given any more importance than that of a Buddhist's?

I think he is right although his statement is incomplete; there are essentially zero Bible-believing Christians in the world.

That is why the Church of England has homosexual bishops.
Reply 244
... All Christians (Catholics included) believe the Bible, it's just that most do not take it as 100% literal fact
1) You're right. Celibacy as a requirement for Anglican clergy was abolished in 1549.

2) Homosexual behaviour is a sin in the eyes of God. If you want to serve God but don't accept the fact that the wrong thing you desire to do is sinful then it obviously interfering in his job. God doesn't make people homosexual and that logic doesn't work otherwise everyone would be gay or straight. God didn't make a mistake making him but he made the mistake of seeing homosexual behaviour as something that is right.

However, it is mostly accepted that one is born homosexual or heterosexual, or any other varient for that matter. Plus, plenty of things are sins in Gods eyes, yet we still do them anyway, wearing Jewellery or braiding ones hair, consulting physics, women speaking in Church, trimming a beard or getting tattoos, are all examples of batshit crazy sins which do not apply in our time. As we move forward, we accept that the Lords teachings, although once relevant perhaps, now do not fit the world we live in. In that very same regard, does your hatred for homosexuality really override Jesus's own command to "love one and other as I have loved you"?
Original post by nulli tertius
Read this sentence

I never said that. the person that posted that was an atheist. I just dislike being related or associated with ideologies I dont believe in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you like me to quote the relevant section? It's absolutely true.

No, its false that if I dont kill raped women, then Im not a true Christian.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, its false that if I dont kill raped women, then Im not a true Christian.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Deuteronomy 22:23-24 -

23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

Go on, justify that.
Original post by MPH125
However, it is mostly accepted that one is born homosexual or heterosexual, or any other varient for that matter. Plus, plenty of things are sins in Gods eyes, yet we still do them anyway, wearing Jewellery or braiding ones hair, consulting physics, women speaking in Church, trimming a beard or getting tattoos, are all examples of batshit crazy sins which do not apply in our time. As we move forward, we accept that the Lords teachings, although once relevant perhaps, now do not fit the world we live in. In that very same regard, does your hatred for homosexuality really override Jesus's own command to "love one and other as I have loved you"?

Oh goodness. Braiding your hair and wearing jewelry are not sins. Consulting psychics is wrong, so?

Tattoos aren't banned, shaving a beard isnt a sin. Oh, and woman can speak in church.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deuteronomy 22:23-24 -

23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

Go on, justify that.

What do you want me to explain the verse or the fact its no longer required now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you want me to explain the verse or the fact its no longer required now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
18For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
19Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
18For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
19Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

'until everything is accomplished'

Christ's resurrection kthx

Posted from TSR Mobile
'until everything is accomplished'

Christ's resurrection kthx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got a quote to support that?
Got a quote to support that?

How about when he said at the cross:

'It is finished'
Oh goodness. Braiding your hair and wearing jewelry are not sins. Consulting psychics is wrong, so?

Tattoos aren't banned, shaving a beard isnt a sin. Oh, and woman can speak in church.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you should do some research first. Check Peter 3:3-4 and Timothy 2:9 for the passages about Braided hair and Jewelry. Check Leviticus 19:28 for the part about tattoos, Leviticus 19:27 for the part about trimming a beard, and 1 Conrinthians 14:34 for the sin about women speaking in church. All of these things are sins. All of these things are also stupid things to sin. Why do we now accept that it's ok to braid ones hair, but not ok to be in a loving relationship with someone of the same sex as you? Surely it should be one rule for all, or no rules at all, because you can't cherry pick the 'sins' that fit into your own backwards and hateful views.
I have no issue with it myself, but I don't see how a gay bishop can be a bishop if he is a homosexual.
Original post by MPH125

AMEN!!
I had such issues with this when I started uni, as some of the most "studenty" churched were anti- homosexuals, and even werent keen on women leading sermons, instead nurturing the spirit within them
Original post by MPH125
Maybe you should do some research first. Check Peter 3:3-4 and Timothy 2:9 for the passages about Braided hair and Jewelry. Check Leviticus 19:28 for the part about tattoos, Leviticus 19:27 for the part about trimming a beard, and 1 Conrinthians 14:34 for the sin about women speaking in church. All of these things are sins. All of these things are also stupid things to sin. Why do we now accept that it's ok to braid ones hair, but not ok to be in a loving relationship with someone of the same sex as you? Surely it should be one rule for all, or no rules at all, because you can't cherry pick the 'sins' that fit into your own backwards and hateful views.

Oh, don't think I didn't know of all these verses, I'm just telling you they're not sins.

Guess it's time to go in depth.

1) Jewelry and Braided Hair
Timothy 2:9-10 says:

'I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.'

Paul isn't forbidding women from wearing makeup, jewelry or braided hair - he is just telling women to not let their outward appearance become more important than their inner beauty.

Also, with that 1 Peter 3:3-4 you quoted... how about you include verse 5 too.

1 Peter 3:3-5 says:

“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight”

In essence, there is nothing wrong with wearing jewelry, makeup or braided hair as long as it is done in a modest manner.

Inner spiritual life > outward appearance. And if someone has the other way around like Outward appearance > Inner spiritual life then there is a problem with their priorities.

Expensive jewelry and clothing are results of the problem, not the actual problem itself.

2) Tattoos

Leviticus 19:28 says:

“Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD”

First of all, believers today are not under Old Testament Law which you can see in Romans 10:4, Galatians 3:23-25, Ephesians 2:15.

The New Testament itself does not say anything about getting tattoos. But the fact the Old Testament talks about it is quite interesting.

As 1 Peter 3:3-4 said, our spiritual beauty is more important than physical beauty.

In essence, a Christian can have a tattoo as long as it is for the right motives and we should really be thinking of a way for it to glorify God like the Bible says. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

3) Trimming/shaving a beard

As I said before, believers today are not under Old Testament Law which you can see in Romans 10:4, Galatians 3:23-25, Ephesians 2:15.

In fact, the only principle about hair we still have to follow is in 1 Corinthians 11:3-16, which basically says that men should have masculine hairstyles and women should have feminine hairstyles.

Even with that rule, there is still lots of flexibility as the difference between masculine and feminine hair varies between cultures.

4) Women speaking in church

Just see the post I made earlier on the thread here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67410422#post67410422

Woman can speak in church...

Homosexuality

Homosexuality was condemned in both the Old Testament and New Testament which is why it is a sin.

Conclusion
No-one is cherry-picking any sins... You're simply confused about what are sins or whether things from the Old Testament are still sins now.
Original post by Soontobesuper

Original post by MPH125

AMEN!!
I had such issues with this when I started uni, as some of the most "studenty" churched were anti- homosexuals, and even werent keen on women leading sermons, instead nurturing the spirit within them

Read your Bible carefully, homosexuality is a sin. And women not being allowed to lead sermons isn't a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest