The Student Room Group

A*A*A* achieved, applying for AAB course. Guaranteed offer?

This is out of curiosity, haven't achieved these grades neither am I planning to take a gap year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JohnGreek
Course?

BSc social policy at LSE
It's 95% chance you'll get a guaranteed offer. Some courses/universities require a good personal statement and experiences and interests rather than just grades.
Reply 3
Original post by Sarah1778
It's 95% chance you'll get a guaranteed offer. Some courses/universities require a good personal statement and experiences and interests rather than just grades.

Fair enough, thanks
Reply 4
Nothing is ever guaranteed but it's very likely an AAB course will give you an offer assuming the subjects you are offering are appropriate for the course.

Most people who meet the stated entry requirements for most courses will receive an offer.

You can check average offer rates at http://university.which.co.uk
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Nothing is ever guaranteed but it's very likely an AAB course will give you an offer assuming the subjects you are offering are appropriate for the course.

Most people who meet the stated entry requirements for most courses will receive an offer.

You can check average offer rates at http://university.which.co.uk

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by JohnGreek
Ye no one applies for that sh*t

Spoiler

True that :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by manlike99
Thanks

The addition of the info that it is LSE does make it a bit tougher - it's a competitive course even with "lower" requirements.

46% offer rate at http://university.which.co.uk/london-school-of-economics-and-political-science-university-of-london-l72/social-policy-3-years-8500-l400
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
The addition of the info that it is LSE does make it a bit tougher - it's a competitive course even with "lower" requirements.

46% offer rate at http://university.which.co.uk/london-school-of-economics-and-political-science-university-of-london-l72/social-policy-3-years-8500-l400

Thank you, very helpful, do you still think one would have a high chance though? Like is predicted/achieved grades a major factor or are GCSEs looked at a lot
Reply 9
Also are certain courses only available for adjustment and do you have to reject your offers to enter adjustment?
Reply 10
Also are certain courses only available for adjustment and do you have to reject your offers to enter adjustment?

Adjustment is only if you exceed your Firm Offer. And it means if you exceed the offer you can then check if a "better" course is available. And the bonus is you still hold the original Firm while you do so.

But be aware that Adjustment isn't very common, and can cause logistical problem especially with accomodation. It's not as great an option as it may appear.
Reply 11
Thank you, very helpful, do you still think one would have a high chance though? Like is predicted/achieved grades a major factor or are GCSEs looked at a lot

I don't know enough about the admissions requirements for that course at LSE.

Best to check this : http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/socialPolicy.aspx
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
Adjustment is only if you exceed your Firm Offer. And it means if you exceed the offer you can then check if a "better" course is available. And the bonus is you still hold the original Firm while you do so.

But be aware that Adjustment isn't very common, and can cause logistical problem especially with accomodation. It's not as great an option as it may appear.

Thanks man, so there's a chance the course won't be available?
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
I don't know enough about the admissions requirements for that course at LSE.

Best to check this : http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/socialPolicy.aspx

Thanks so much for all this help, I shall do
Reply 14
Thanks man, so there's a chance the course won't be available?

Not all universities participate in Adjustment, those that do may not offer all courses, so yes there's no guarantee.

If you are predicted A*A*A* why not just apply to 1 or 2 courses asking higher than AAB?

"Even" Cambridge "only" asks for A*AA for humanities courses. (A*A*A for sciences and also economics). And Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and St Andrews (and I think LSE) do not participate in Adjustment.
Reply 15
Original post by jneill
Not all universities participate in Adjustment, those that do may not offer all courses, so yes there's no guarantee.

If you are predicted A*A*A* why not just apply to 1 or 2 courses asking higher than AAB?

"Even" Cambridge "only" asks for A*AA for humanities courses. (A*A*A for sciences and also economics). And Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and St Andrews (and I think LSE) do not participate in Adjustment.

Thanks, basically I currently want to do medicine, my predicted grades are AAA but i am aiming for A*A*A*, just wondering in case I do get those grades and feel like going to banking, the least competive degree at LSE seems like a good idea since it's a massive target and I think it'd be easier to get into than any Oxbridge course, but currently its medicine that is my aim
Reply 16
Thanks, basically I currently want to do medicine, my predicted grades are AAA but i am aiming for A*A*A*, just wondering in case I do get those grades and feel like going to banking, the least competive degree at LSE seems like a good idea since it's a massive target and I think it'd be easier to get into than any Oxbridge course, but currently its medicine that is my aim

Oh.

There is NO point doing a course at any university (and especially LSE) unless you are deeply interested in it.

Stop. Take a breath. Figure out if you want to be a doctor or a banker (the two career paths are very different), then single-mindedly identify the right courses at the right universities to do so.

Also Oxbridge is not really any more competive for medicine that other Med Schools (and their courses may or may not be any better depending on what area of medicine you want to go into).
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
Oh.

There is NO point doing a course at any university (and especially LSE) unless you are deeply interested in it.

Stop. Take a breath. Figure out if you want to be a doctor or a banker (the two career paths are very different), then single-mindedly identify the right courses at the right universities to do so.

Also Oxbridge is not really any more competive for medicine that other Med Schools (and their courses may or may not be any better depending on what area of medicine you want to go into).

It does interest me but not as much as Med. And I know I'm just applying to the med schools where I have most chance to get an interview. Med is my aim, this is incase I don't get offers really.
Reply 18
It does interest me but not as much as Med. And I know I'm just applying to the med schools where I have most chance to get an interview. Med is my aim, this is incase I don't get offers really.

I very much doubt LSE would give you an offer if you apply for Social Policy with a Medicine PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by jneill
I very much doubt LSE would give you an offer if you apply for Social Policy with a Medicine PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hence I would take a gap year do some work experience and build a new PS for whichever course and apply, none of this will probably happen anyway, was just wondering

Quick Reply

Latest