The Student Room Group

High salary and honest people, is it possible?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rachel58
Of course it's possible!

My dad is an IT manager, is very well paid, and is completely honest. I did work experience at his work and everyone was lovely, even when I messed up somebody's code so they had to reboot their system :frown: They're all currently sponsoring me for running for GOSH as well, so they're not all money-hungry and evil!

There are awful people in all careers, though generally if you're nice, people won't want to backstab you.

plz giv me enturnship gud sur
Reply 21
In order to not skew anyone's views on what I think are crappy people, here's what I think is crappy behavior:

- wanting to leave the office I am in as soon as possible for no good reason (I'm a quiet person, sorry if I don't talk to you), not even saying good morning to me, pulling weird condescending faces at me like I'm some socially inept case
- declining your invitation when you ask them to go for a quick bite for lunch, only accepting it if multiple people go (what's wrong with going with me alone? Am I not cool?)
- not taking seriously anything I say, often mocking me
- making stupid, unacceptable jokes
- stigmatizing poor people (that makes me really angry because I'm poor myself) and even worse, calling them dumb
- talking alllllllllllllllll day long about their stupid salaries, their lame cars and the options to get for their cars
- not letting me know about events they go to, making me feel invisible
- moving away from me as far as possible during meetings (that is hugely offensive), never picking me to do group work (they quickly run to their buddy during programming challenges)

Bah, the list goes on but I think I made my point.
I'm talking about my internship at the large corporation (that same one with all the successful consultants). Boy, that was a horrid experience. I'm sure you would not feel welcome like this.
Original post by 571122
In order to not skew anyone's views on what I think are crappy people, here's what I think is crappy behavior:

- wanting to leave the office I am in as soon as possible for no good reason (I'm a quiet person, sorry if I don't talk to you), not even saying good morning to me, pulling weird condescending faces at me like I'm some socially inept case
- declining your invitation when you ask them to go for a quick bite for lunch, only accepting it if multiple people go (what's wrong with going with me alone? Am I not cool?)
- not taking seriously anything I say, often mocking me
- making stupid, unacceptable jokes
- stigmatizing poor people (that makes me really angry because I'm poor myself) and even worse, calling them dumb
- talking alllllllllllllllll day long about their stupid salaries, their lame cars and the options to get for their cars
- not letting me know about events they go to, making me feel invisible
- moving away from me as far as possible during meetings (that is hugely offensive), never picking me to do group work (they quickly run to their buddy during programming challenges)

Bah, the list goes on but I think I made my point.
I'm talking about my internship at the large corporation (that same one with all the successful consultants). Boy, that was a horrid experience. I'm sure you would not feel welcome like this.

And why do you care, like surely you're there to pay the bills and that's it?
I recommend Goldman Sachs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by IronicalMan
And why do you care, like surely you're there to pay the bills and that's it?

No, I want the full package. I want to do a job that I love, so that I can further complete my path of happiness.
Original post by 571122
No, I want the full package. I want to do a job that I love, so that I can further complete my path of happiness.

Sounds like an entitlement complex tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
I thought IT people are the nerdy types that sit down in a dark room to code computers all day long. But then I might be wrong because there are all those people with shiny titles in the IT sector such as IT Managers
I'd probably stay away from banking if I were you. Why not medicine? It's hard but it's pretty much the only job I've shard of which has both the things you asked for.
Original post by Princepieman
Big tech company (google, facebook, uber etc) or startup. Good luck passing the CV screen and interview questions though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

😂😂😂😂 Silicon Valley/big tech corporations are possibly the last places you want to work if you want to avoid the overly ambitious soulless corporate monkeys.
Original post by CharlieGEM
😂😂😂😂 Silicon Valley/big tech corporations are possibly the last places you want to work if you want to avoid the overly ambitious soulless corporate monkeys.

Have you worked in one? Do you know anyone working in one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you worked in one? Do you know anyone working in one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Recently got "engaged" by a Silicon Valley start up. They first offered equity for my work as a consultant but I asked for cash up front instead (I'm not an idiot) which they agreed to but then never materialised. The very definition of untrustworthy/dishonest.
Original post by CharlieGEM
Recently got "engaged" by a Silicon Valley start up. They first offered equity for my work as a consultant but I asked for cash up front instead (I'm not an idiot) which they agreed to but then never materialised. The very definition of untrustworthy/dishonest.

Loooooool ok, so you got mugged off by a startup and now all big tech company/unicorn startup workers are drones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loooooool ok, so you got mugged off by a startup and now all big tech company/unicorn startup workers are drones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The founders have backgrounds from the big tech companies: too dumb to do their own work, too dishonest to pay someone else to do it...
Might have been unlucky in your placement - sales can be full of spouters, engineers are usually pretty honest though. if you don't like being in the office maybe some sort of field service job unrelated to sales would be better (and bring a company car)

largely sounds like you're being a bit unrealistic though, maybe get a hobby to make you happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Besides you are a wannabe corporate drone, hence not exactly likely to have a balanced view.
I would consider watching Mr. Robot for inspiration on your future career path.

SS
And what, exactly, is wrong with being proud of your salary? These people have worked their backsides off to earn the high wages they do, let them flaunt it all they like for all I care.

Same with being Conservative - if you're earning a large amount of money, why would you want the government to steal a significant proportion of it and spend it on nonsense such as welfare payments and foreign aid? Right-wing parties and Trump are the way to go, if you care about your money.
Reply 37
Original post by TrojanH
man

ive just realised

your a freak

1) who ****ing cares if they leave the office or not. like why do you give such a huge pile of **** about what sort of faces they make at you? i cant believe ive just read that from a working man

2) maybe you send the wrong tone, maybe they assume its romantic, perhaps they're more comfortable in larger groups as less time is spent on their focus, who ****ing knows man and more importantly who cares, the fact they are willing to go out with you in groups is more than enough to outright show they likely don't hate you the same way you think they do

3) if people aren't taking you seriously you can either take yourself more seriously or meet different people

4) dont be so PC, some people just aren't witty enough for clever jokes and try their best to make you smile with stupid ****. appreciate what they do for you.

5) steotyping is bad. its sheep mentality. why dont you just break their stereotypes for them and literally broaden their mind set?

6) tbf they can flaunt what they want. it says i worked hard to get where i am today and this is proof of that. people ask for respect in many different ways and thats one of them.

i cant be bothered responding to each of your points because its so stupid man. you're what, 22? 23? i honestly couldn't tell you weren't a 12 year old describing how they didnt like their first week of school.

Reported.
Reply 38
Original post by biglad2k16
I'd probably stay away from banking if I were you. Why not medicine? It's hard but it's pretty much the only job I've shard of which has both the things you asked for.

Yes, medicine sounds nice.
Reply 39
Original post by Joinedup
Might have been unlucky in your placement - sales can be full of spouters, engineers are usually pretty honest though. if you don't like being in the office maybe some sort of field service job unrelated to sales would be better (and bring a company car)

largely sounds like you're being a bit unrealistic though, maybe get a hobby to make you happy.

Engineers are the only people I have worked with and I find them horrible and dishonest.

Quick Reply