The Student Room Group

Criticism of Islam is not a hate crime, nor racist, nor enophobic

Islam is an ideology. Communism is an ideology. Capitalism is an ideology. Religions themselves are ideologies. We live in a society where we can critically think and criticise anything. People never held back when it came to criticising Christianity with abortion beliefs and Catholic schools with lack of sex ed classes; but as soon as someone brings up how a disproportionate amount of people who follow the Islamic ideology are against Western culture and values (despite living here), they become the bad guy!

Get a clue people. You can criticise, you can support too. But shutting down debate doesn't do any good whatsoever.

P.S. To anyone who would like to use the buzzwords like "bigot, racist, xenophobic, islamophobic etc.", it's getting old, and you've overused those words anyway they're losing their strength in scaring people into shutting up.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I agree, critising islam is fine but hating on muslims just because they're muslim isn't.

Too often on this site threads about islam get replies like "oh another one" or "we get it you hate muslims", it seems like these kind of posts are made just to get reps or shut down the debate. (note I am talking about threads that raise legitmate concerns about islam, not threads which just bash on muslims for no reason)
Agreed.

A Muslim is simply someone who practices Islam and can be of any race, so I don't see how it's racist to criticise it. I do find it amusing how people will bash new religions such as Scientology for being ridiculous, while devoting their lives to a book written by ignorant desert dwellers thousands of years ago (not just Islam).
Au contraire, OP. Dogmas and ideologies, including those (like Islam) which is followed by people of every race under the sun is a race now. Didn't you get the memo?
Who said it was?
You should spend more time arguing with the intellectual people be they muslim or not that are actually willingly to debate the ideology with you without claiming you're a racist for doing so, rather than wasting your time with the ignorant uneducated left-wing lunatics who think otherwise because explaining this to them is a lost cause.
Guess only anti-semetism and anti christian sentiment exists then. Islamophobia is made up?
Original post by The Awakener
Guess only anti-semetism and anti christian sentiment exists then. Islamophobia is made up?

Straw-man

No one said that Islamophobia isn't an actual fear.

What OP said is that criticism of Islam as a religion is not racist, which is true.
Reply 8
Original post by JoshDawg
We live in a society where we can critically think and criticise anything.

Exactly.

Honestly what is the point of this thread? You can't be this desperate.

Say whatever you want about Islam, you are able to do so. Nobody is stopping you.
I think critisim of ideologies like Islam is fine. What angers me though, is that we are still debating critisizing Zionism, a 100% political and non-religeous ideology is anti-semitic never mind saying critisising the ideology of Judaism is not anti-semitic. How come when people dont even critisize Judaism they can call anti-semetism on it, but when people critisize Islam completley its not Islamaphobic.

People should argue that all religeon can be questioned rather than fousing on Islam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10

No the point is Christians put up with ti Jews put up with it but when it comes to islam the world is horrified you'd say anything against it.

E.g. Many programs, papers and scripts use blaspheming e.g. OMG all the time. This is incredibly offensive and rude to Christians and degrading to the religion. No one even questions it though. It is the 'norm'.

Comparez vous:

A French satire magazine humorously depicts islam's idol and they are attacked. And people think it was horrifying that the magazine would ever consider depicting this guy. Guess what? God and Jesus are depicted all the time and when was the last time you saw a Christian cop a strop or shoot an office of innocent people making satirical comedy?
Original post by BobSausage
No the point is Christians put up with ti Jews put up with it but when it comes to islam the world is horrified you'd say anything against it.

E.g. Many programs, papers and scripts use blaspheming e.g. OMG all the time. This is incredibly offensive and rude to Christians and degrading to the religion. No one even questions it though. It is the 'norm'.

Comparez vous:

A French satire magazine humorously depicts islam's idol and they are attacked. And people think it was horrifying that the magazine would ever consider depicting this guy. Guess what? God and Jesus are depicted all the time and when was the last time you saw a Christian cop a strop or shoot an office of innocent people making satirical comedy?

I don't think most of the green party or it's leaders would agree with your bigoted opinions mr bob.
Reply 12
Original post by IronicalMan
I don't think most of the green party or it's leaders would agree with your bigoted opinions mr bob.

Did you even bother to read the first comment which said 'don't bother with the pointless buzzwords' They are not stupid they are not bigoted unless you can explain how. Feel free to disagree with my argument but at least have the decency to tell me why you disagree. Because my views are perfectly reasonable. When was the last Christian 'terror' attack. The middle ages. Do Christians go around shooting up places for using OMG or depicting Jesus or God? NO THEY DON'T and that is why I am disgusted with your bigoted refusing to see the truth views. That is why I get annoyed at politicians and people like you. Just look it is not bigoted or untrue to state the facts. This year alone : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks#2016 Are you going to say this is bigoted too?
In the same time 0 terror attacks from Christians. Wow yeah. What disgustingly bigoted facts!
(edited 7 years ago)
bigot, racist, xenophobic, islamophobic
Ayyy Lmao
Reply 14
The OED definition of Islamophobia is...

Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

And if we break it down, we can immediately see the problem. It contains two, entirely different concepts. I happily admit that I support the blue definition. I would oppose the red definition.

Also, "anti-semitism" and "anti-Christian sentiment" are likewise two entirely different concepts. Anti-semitism is based on a person's ethnicity (an anti-semite will hate a Jew, regardless of their religious beliefs), anti-Christian statement is based on their belief and ideology.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alevelstresss
Correct, it isn't.

But so many of you idiots on this website can't differentiate between criticism and hate. Its not a 'criticism' to instantly incriminate Islam and all Muslims with a terrorist attack. Its not a 'criticism' to want to ban Islamic immigration and to deport refugees. Its not a 'criticism' to go around yelling "religion of peace" or "Mohammed was a pedo" on any Islamic thread on this website.

Similarly, many of you here also think that discriminating against Muslims is 'ok' because of their religion. It isn't.

You anti-PC morons are a part of the problem.

Did Muhammad marry a six or seven year old girl? And is this question hateful?
It's just a way of all religions safeguarding themselves from logic and reason. How can you argue with a theist if you'll be charged for it?
Original post by Ladbants
Did Muhammad marry a six or seven year old girl? And is this question hateful?

Did this occur 1500 years ago in a very different society to our own? Pedophilia was more common across the entire world in 500 AD, not exclusively to Islam.
Original post by alevelstresss
Did this occur 1500 years ago in a very different society to our own? Pedophilia was more common across the entire world in 500 AD, not exclusively to Islam.

So was Muhammad a paedophile or not?
Original post by Ladbants
So was Muhammad a paedophile or not?

He lived in a very different society to our own, long ago. Traditions were different back then, and they still are now. Its not a valid criticism to whinge about Mohammed being a pedophile when practically the whole world was more positively predisposed to that sort of stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending