The Student Room Group

Hmm? What should I do?

Hi,

I've successfully completed my first week in sixth form, and all has been pretty well.

I'm currently studying:
Computer Science
History
Media Studies

I pretty much like all my subjects, and I aspire to do a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science.

I wanted to do Maths at A-level, but my school requires an A/A* for Maths/Further Maths respectively. Maths is pretty important at A-level for a Computer Science degree, so I was thinking that maybe I could drop out of sixth form, resit Maths GCSE, get an A or A*, then apply back into the sixth form (in September 2017) and study:

Computer Science
Maths
Further Maths
Economics

Good idea, or nah?
(edited 7 years ago)
Drop out of sixth form just to do one GCSE? Bad idea.

See if you can do it at the same time.
Reply 2
Try and resit it this summer, and then maybe next year you can drop a subject and you can do the full Maths A level in one year next year (i know someone who's done it) or just do the AS and then do an extra year to just finish off the Maths A level.
Reply 3
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Drop out of sixth form just to do one GCSE? Bad idea.

See if you can do it at the same time.

I was planning to self-teach myself A-level Maths (AS C1, C2, S1) and do the OCA course in this time also. As much as I'd like to do this, none of my parents approve... I've become pretty reckless now in my day to day school life. I've stopped turning up to some lessons, I don't do homework, etc.. etc.. I know that this reckless behaviour will only result in me being kicked out (even though part of me really wants this), but I don't know what else to do. It's just embarrassing turning up to lessons without doing the homework or showing any interest towards the subject. Another issue that I may face is that if I do go elsewhere at the start of the next academic year, I won't be going to my school (which has really good teachers/facilities). I'm genuinely unhappy with life, and I'm just overall pretty fed up. I wanted sixth form to be a fresh start, but evidently this clearly wasn't the case. I really don't know what to do... I'm disappointing my family/teachers on a day to day basis and I'm sick of it. I can't convince myself to just "get on" with subjects I despise, so what are my alternatives?
Original post by Aklaol
I was planning to self-teach myself A-level Maths (AS C1, C2, S1) and do the OCA course in this time also. As much as I'd like to do this, none of my parents approve... I've become pretty reckless now in my day to day school life. I've stopped turning up to some lessons, I don't do homework, etc.. etc.. I know that this reckless behaviour will only result in me being kicked out (even though part of me really wants this), but I don't know what else to do. It's just embarrassing turning up to lessons without doing the homework or showing any interest towards the subject. Another issue that I may face is that if I do go elsewhere at the start of the next academic year, I won't be going to my school (which has really good teachers/facilities). I'm genuinely unhappy with life, and I'm just overall pretty fed up. I wanted sixth form to be a fresh start, but evidently this clearly wasn't the case. I really don't know what to do... I'm disappointing my family/teachers on a day to day basis and I'm sick of it. I can't convince myself to just "get on" with subjects I despise, so what are my alternatives?

Your end goal is to do a Computing related degree. And not all unis require maths to do Computing. Therefore, just work hard, get good grades, stick at it and go to a good uni where you'll be doing a subject you enjoy. If you didn't get an A in Maths this year you won't do well in A level maths anyway.
Original post by Aklaol
Hi,

I've successfully completed my first week in sixth form, and all has been pretty well.

I'm currently studying:
Computer Science
History
Media Studies

I pretty much like all my subjects, and I aspire to do a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science.

I wanted to do Maths at A-level, but my school requires an A/A* for Maths/Further Maths respectively. Maths is pretty important at A-level for a Computer Science degree, so I was thinking that maybe I could drop out of sixth form, resit Maths GCSE, get an A or A*, then apply back into the sixth form (in September 2017) and study:

Computer Science
Maths
Further Maths
Economics

Good idea, or nah?

If its 100% what you want to do then go for it, does your school not offer a re-sit in maths? In my sixth-form, if you didn't pass maths at GCSE (C) then you could resit while studying other subjects in A-Level. You could do all your A-Levels this year + a resit maths and then pick up maths and stay on an extra year to get the full maths A-Level. If you spoke to your head of sixth form or another teacher you think would direct you in the right place, they would probably recommend something.
Reply 6
Original post by life.of.pablo
Your end goal is to do a Computing related degree. And not all unis require maths to do Computing. Therefore, just work hard, get good grades, stick at it and go to a good uni where you'll be doing a subject you enjoy. If you didn't get an A in Maths this year you won't do well in A level maths anyway.

Yeah but like I mentioned, the reason why I didn't get an A/A* in GCSE Maths is because I was lazy. Throughout my time in Year 11 I didn't revise for GCSE Maths at all (even when I was only a few days away from the real exam...) I didn't get a B because I wasn't able to get an A/A*, it was because I didn't spend my time refreshing my memory on a few key topics. If I spent even a day or two before the exam revising I would of got a guaranteed A*. Wouldn't it be a shame if I don't take Maths/Further Maths at A-level because of my stupidity @ GCSE? Subjects where I could potentially excel in?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by livvy99xox
If its 100% what you want to do then go for it, does your school not offer a re-sit in maths? In my sixth-form, if you didn't pass maths at GCSE (C) then you could resit while studying other subjects in A-Level. You could do all your A-Levels this year + a resit maths and then pick up maths and stay on an extra year to get the full maths A-Level. If you spoke to your head of sixth form or another teacher you think would direct you in the right place, they would probably recommend something.

I got a grade B at GCSE. My school are very strict about entry requirements. They don't make any compromises at all.... It's either get the required grades for the subjects you want to study, or leave the school. After speaking to every high up person in the school (Head of Maths, Head of Year 12, Head of Sixth Form, Assistant Headteacher, Deputy Headteacher, Associate Headteacher, Learning Coordinator), they all pretty much said no, and were pretty much done with talking to me about the topic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Aklaol
Hi,

I'm currently studying:
Computer Science
History
Media Studies

Computer Science
Maths
Further Maths
Economics

Good idea, or nah?

Tbf most unis don't require A-level maths for a comp sci course - they have a dedicated unit for it at the ones I've looked at. You'll be fine as you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Andy98
Tbf most unis don't require A-level maths for a comp sci course - they have a dedicated unit for it at the ones I've looked at. You'll be fine as you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's moreover the fact that I don't enjoy the subjects I'm currently studying, which would probably mean that I'll fail them.
Reply 10
Original post by Aklaol
It's moreover the fact that I don't enjoy the subjects I'm currently studying, which would probably mean that I'll fail them.

I've given my thoughts, but it's your choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aklaol
I got a grade B at GCSE. My school are very strict about entry requirements. They don't make any compromises at all.... It's either get the required grades for the subjects you want to study, or leave the school. After speaking to every high up person in the school (Head of Maths, Head of Year 12, Head of Sixth Form, Assistant Headteacher, Deputy Headteacher, Associate Headteacher, Learning Coordinator), they all pretty much said no, and were pretty much done with talking to me about the topic.

In that case, I'd say don't do it, if you got a grade B, it is likely that you wouldn't be able to be able to keep up with the work or understand it. At my sixth-form they only recommend taking maths if it is a subject that you really enjoy and have an interest for. If you are taking it just to have as a qualification to get into another area, do you really think you will be good at it? You really need to be realistic in order to spend your time wisely and not make any mistakes. There will be many universities that will accept you onto a course you want without maths.
Reply 12
In that case, I'd say don't do it, if you got a grade B, it is likely that you wouldn't be able to be able to keep up with the work or understand it. At my sixth-form they only recommend taking maths if it is a subject that you really enjoy and have an interest for. If you are taking it just to have as a qualification to get into another area, do you really think you will be good at it? You really need to be realistic in order to spend your time wisely and not make any mistakes. There will be many universities that will accept you onto a course you want without maths.

Refer to this:

Original post by Aklaol
Yeah but like I mentioned, the reason why I didn't get an A/A* in GCSE Maths is because I was lazy. Throughout my time in Year 11 I didn't revise for GCSE Maths at all (even when I was only a few days away from the real exam...) I didn't get a B because I wasn't able to get an A/A*, it was because I didn't spend my time refreshing my memory on a few key topics. If I spent even a day or two before the exam revising I would of got a guaranteed A*. Wouldn't it be a shame if I don't take Maths/Further Maths at A-level because of my stupidity @ GCSE? Subjects where I could potentially excel in?

Original post by Andy98
I've given my thoughts, but it's your choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for sharing your opinion.
Reply 13

You can cope with a B so long as you work hard. But I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest