The Student Room Group

Challenging an overdraft limit?

I start uni in a few week and received my overdraft limit today which is ALOT less than expected. HSBC gave me £250 overdraft and living in London it won't be much of a help. I've been working for the past three years and have a credit card that I use frequently and never missed a payment (it's completely paid off now). I've also used credit rating website which have only returned positive things about my personal rating. Could they have made a mistake or do they increase it often?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TomFitness
I start uni in a few week and received my overdraft limit today which is ALOT less than expected. HSBC gave me £250 overdraft and living in London it won't be much of a help. I've been working for the past three years and have a credit card that I use frequently and never missed a payment (it's completely paid off now). I've also used credit rating website which have only returned positive things about my personal rating. Could they have made a mistake or do they increase it often?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should change who you bank account is with. Santander give you a £1500 overdraft and a free rail card. Also, try not to go into your overdraft too much, it's a ***** to pay off.
Reply 2
Original post by Hayley Williams
You should change who you bank account is with. Santander give you a £1500 overdraft and a free rail card. Also, try not to go into your overdraft too much, it's a ***** to pay off.

Can I change even though I've already opened it? I kind of need my overdraft as my loan covers accommodation. I hope to get a weekend job though so will only use it until I find one suitable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TomFitness
Can I change even though I've already opened it? I kind of need my overdraft as my loan covers accommodation. I hope to get a weekend job though so will only use it until I find one suitable

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES, you can change banks whenever you want. Santander do really great student bank account.
Just a note that, whilst Santander usually do give a £1500 overdraft to students, the amount isn't guaranteed. HSBC usually gives a much higher overdraft so it may be worth checking you didn't make any mistake in your application and your credit report isn't showing outstanding debt or something.

I suggest doing your own research as if you don't like Santander or don't get the overdraft amount you want changing banks a lot will look dodgy and banks could start rejecting your application. This site is quite reputable and provides some good information.

Also keep in mind that an interest-free overdraft on a student account is like taking out a credit card but with less pressure on you to pay it back. You should try to not rely on it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bonoahx
Just a note that, whilst Santander usually do give a £1500 overdraft to students, the amount isn't guaranteed. HSBC usually gives a much higher overdraft so it may be worth checking you didn't make any mistake in your application and your credit report isn't showing outstanding debt or something.

I suggest doing your own research as if you don't like Santander or don't get the overdraft amount you want changing banks a lot will look dodgy and banks could start rejecting your application. This site is quite reputable and provides some good information.

Also keep in mind that an interest-free overdraft on a student account is like taking out a credit card but with less pressure on you to pay it back. You should try to not rely on it.

Thank you. It states on the HSBC website all applicants are guaranteed a £500 minimum but they gave me £250 overdraft. I must have done something wrong! I have no outstanding debts and have a good credit rating from experian!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Go talk to them. This happens if you already have credit. Mine was 250 but I had a CC of 500. I asked "wtf bro" turns out I have a higher limit the system lowered as it's based on your available credit. My limit is now 750.

If you need a good overdraft there is co op

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending