The Student Room Group

West Midlands Police Considers Allowing The Burka

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/british-police-force-says-it-may-allow-female-officers-to-wear-f/ "A police force could become the first in the country to allow officers to wear the full-face veil after it launched a recruitment drive to increase diversity.

West Midlands Police said it has “no barriers” relating to the burka as they announced that they would discuss allowing the traditional Islamic dress to become part of a policewoman’s uniform.

Chief Constable David Thompson said he would look into employing officers who wear the burka if the issue arose, as the force tries to increase the percentage of black and minority ethnic (BME) officers in the region to 30 per cent."

One of them moments where I simply don't know where to begin.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

And what will the Burka officer do when a young single man, full of sinful lust, asks to see some identification so he knows they're a real police officer?

They'll have to show their face!
Reply 2
Original post by TelAviv
And what will the Burka officer do when a young single man, full of sinful lust, asks to see some identification so he knows they're a real police officer?

They'll have to show their face!

Arrest him for causing offense.
Diabolical. The police are meant to be on our side.
Reply 4
This guy must be sacked.
Reply 5
Original post by ivybridge
"our side" is what, exactly? My side is the right to wear whatever the **** you want and believe in anything you ****ing want. That's what this country has stood for, for many years now. Don't like it? Sod off out then.
You do realise that we are talking about police uniforms, not day to day clothing right?
Reply 6
Original post by Josb
This guy must be sacked.

Sadly, it is people such as him that infect the chambers of power in this country, hence why the country is either doomed or heading for a war in the medium-future.
"our side" is what, exactly? My side is the right to wear whatever the **** you want and believe in anything you ****ing want. That's what this country has stood for, for many years now. Don't like it? Sod off out then.

IDGAF what people wear but the above point is correct. Police officers have to produce a warrant card at times to prove who they are which will be a bit difficult. It would be like wearing a balaclava in a passport photo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Opinion
You do realise that we are talking about police uniforms, not day to day clothing right?

Yes? And? I don't see how it infringes on one's ability to do their job. Oh wait, that's because it doesn't. You simply don't like it. Well, well, well, the world doesn't need to bend to your insecurities I'm afraid. Laws are there that stipulate these individuals can wear what they wish and follow any religion they wish. Don't try and bend them to suit your irrational fears. Especially when you're probably the same guy who'd cry about people wanting a second referendum and how undemocratic it is. Lmfao.

This is the epitome of a democracy.
Original post by JamesN88
IDGAF what people wear but the above point is correct. Police officers have to produce a warrant card at times to prove who they are which will be a bit difficult. It would be like wearing a balaclava in a passport photo.

So? They'll overcome that within the force. It'll be duely considered and thought out. Get over it.
Original post by Josb
This guy must be sacked.

For being respectful of other people's lifestyle choices and clothing choices? Right. Go and live in somewhere like the Middle East or Russia or China if you want to limit people's freedoms and basic rights as human beings. Close the door on the way out.
Yes? And? I don't see how it infringes on one's ability to do their job. Oh wait, that's because it doesn't. You simply don't like it. Well, well, well, the world doesn't need to bend to your insecurities I'm afraid. Laws are there that stipulate these individuals can wear what they wish and follow any religion they wish. Don't try and bend them to suit your irrational fears. Especially when you're probably the same guy who'd cry about people wanting a second referendum and how undemocratic it is. Lmfao.

This is the epitome of a democracy.

So police officers should be allowed to walk around naked? You are against all forms of uniform I take it? You are happy with all police officers wearing their civilian clothes, meaning that police officers are not identifiable? No wonder leftists like police states where people can be taken away at will.
Original post by JohnGreek
How exactly will it be "thought out"? Saying "they will think it out at some point in the indefinite future" is hardly a convincing answer.

Also, would you mind giving us an example of how patrol officers who are wearing a garment specifically designed to shield them from the male gaze are supposed to interact comfortably and professionally with members of the opposite sex?

(I personally don't care about desk jobs, but I can't see this being feasible for actual patrolling work)

My point was that they'll deliberate that issue. If they can't overcome it, it won't happen. Simple. Get over it already.
So? They'll overcome that within the force. It'll be duely considered and thought out. Get over it.

It won't happen so there's nothing to get over. I don't support banning the burka but this is impractical.

If I understand correctly the ultra-conservative brand of Islam that leads women to wear one also forbids physical contact between males and females who aren't related so it won't be much good if they have to tackle a male criminal.
Original post by JamesN88
It won't happen so there's nothing to get over. I don't support banning the burka but this is impractical.

If I understand correctly the ultra-conservative brand of Islam that leads women to wear one also forbids physical contact between males and females who aren't related so it won't be much good if they have to tackle a male criminal.

"It won't happen"

Then why debate it? You're so overly certain - who gave you authority?

You know as well as I do that people cherry-pick in their faith. If they wouldn't dare handle cases then they wouldn't go up for the role in the first place.
So, your arguments so far have consisted of "get over it", "they'll find out a way" and "didn't read your post".

I think that you've revealed to us all that you have no real reason to be in favour of this other than a dubious appeal to the freedom to wear whatever one wants. Nice.

She still has not gotten over the Florida shooting and discovering that her political ideology has made it easier for the mass murder of gays to happen by supporting the immigration of a group of people who statistically are much more anti-gay than the population as a whole.
"It won't happen"

Then why debate it? You're so overly certain - who gave you authority?

It's a free country as you so rightly pointed out so I was giving my opinion on the matter.

You know as well as I do that people cherry-pick in their faith. If they wouldn't dare handle cases then they wouldn't go up for the role in the first place.

The role of a police officer which will inevitably include arresting males. Like I said it'll never happen.

I know people cherry pick religion but come on, if someone's devout enough to wear a burka I'd be very surprised if they don't follow the part about male contact.
For being respectful of other people's lifestyle choices and clothing choices? Right. Go and live in somewhere like the Middle East or Russia or China if you want to limit people's freedoms and basic rights as human beings. Close the door on the way out.

Its installing sexism within the police force.Muslim women dont wear the burka out of free choice,they wear it because the religion they believe in is inherently sexist.The religion tells them that they must cover up otherwise they're being imodest.This is nonsense.Its ironic that you're telling him to go live in the middle east when certain middle east countries oppress women by forcing them to wear the hijab or the burka.Even the burka is considered the extreme end of islam and there is no obligation to actually wear a full burka.By defending this decision and screaming bigot at everyone you are actually being sexist yourself.We have no obligation to respect other peoples cultures if they are sexist or homophobic or racist cultures which im afraid islam qualifies as.
I was wondering why he/she was so defensive of a religion that treats him/her as both a kuffar and a sickening pervert, but whatever, I've dealt with enough self-contradicting idiots for one night.

I wonder if he/she would use the "if you don't like the country, get out" argument against homophobic Muslims.

It is the same with other leftists, they have this strange position of defending two opposites. It is like me supporting fox rights but also supporting fox hunting, it would not make sense.

I think it comes down to leftist racism. They view Muslims as brown and black, and as leftists view them two groups and inferior (which I disagree with by the way), they feel that those groups need leftist help.
I doubt any hijab-wearers would be able to pass the fitness requirements tbh.

Why would this even be considered though? If I was robbed and a police officer was taking statements etc, I (and many others) wouldn't feel comfortable talking to someone whose face was covered; that's not something to "get over" because calming civvies down and putting them at ease in such situations is part of the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending