The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
Okay Sabretooth, well here that grade is a b. And i managed to get that for my degree. One of my friends who went to a good us university, actually told me that she thought it is easier to get good grades in the us, from her year over there. She also got a 2.1 (b).

Thanks for making me feel better. It's "easier" yet I still get Ds... :facepalm:
Original post by Sabertooth
Thanks for making me feel better. It's "easier" yet I still get Ds... :facepalm:

@Sabertooth sorry to make you feel bad. I found university very hard, and it was't unusual to see me working three to four hour days, most days a week, to get the grades. I am sure that if you up your work output, and also try to get in to most lectures (i also attended for nearly 100% of the time), you grades will grow accordingly. Put it like this, you have already secured a 'professional' role on tsr, something which only yesterday, i was very close to getting banned from.

You are bound for high places. I also heard that the uk has a better support network than the usa. Keep your head down, work hard, take your meds, and i am 95% sure that things will work out fine. Good luck!
Hi all - I hope everyone is doing okay.

I am starting my final year project for my university course. I am looking at an aspect of mental health, and I would be interested in your views around this area.

I am going to be looking at Section 136 of the Mental Health Act and it's impact on the human rights of service users. In particular, if we can improve the human rights of service users through schemes such as "Street Triage". For those who do not know, Section 136 is a section of the Mental Health Act which gives police officers the power to remove someone from a public place who they feel is suffering from a mental disorder and needs further assessment. A person can be detained and removed from a public place and kept in a "Place of Safety" (commonly a special suite in a psychiatric hospital, or in a police cell) for up to 72 hours to allow them to be assessed under the Mental Health Act (known as a Mental Health Act Assessment, or MHAA).

Street Triage is a new scheme which is operating in some parts of the UK where a psychiatric nurse will attend mental health related calls with police officers to try and decide if a person needs to be detained under section 136, rather than relying solely on a police officer's opinion. It has had some impact on section 136 numbers. In the areas I have looked at, the amount of section 136s have declined and the proportion of those detained under s136 who are then admitted to hospital have increased.

I would be interested if anyone has any areas that they feel could be explored further? If you have been detained under section 136, do you feel your human rights have been respected? Could something have been better? As service users, do you feel that this is an area that needs to be explored further?

Any feedback would be very welcome. If you would like to PM me instead then that is fine. Thank you so much for any responses.

In the meantime, I hope you are all well, and for those of you who are due to start university or go back to university, good luck! :smile:
Original post by bullettheory

I am starting my final year project for my university course. I am looking at an aspect of mental health, and I would be interested in your views around this area.

I am going to be looking at Section 136 of the Mental Health Act and it's impact on the human rights of service users. In particular, if we can improve the human rights of service users through schemes such as "Street Triage". For those who do not know, Section 136 is a section of the Mental Health Act which gives police officers the power to remove someone from a public place who they feel is suffering from a mental disorder and needs further assessment. A person can be detained and removed from a public place and kept in a "Place of Safety" (commonly a special suite in a psychiatric hospital, or in a police cell) for up to 72 hours to allow them to be assessed under the Mental Health Act (known as a Mental Health Act Assessment, or MHAA).

Street Triage is a new scheme which is operating in some parts of the UK where a psychiatric nurse will attend mental health related calls with police officers to try and decide if a person needs to be detained under section 136, rather than relying solely on a police officer's opinion. It has had some impact on section 136 numbers. In the areas I have looked at, the amount of section 136s have declined and the proportion of those detained under s136 who are then admitted to hospital have increased.

I would be interested if anyone has any areas that they feel could be explored further? If you have been detained under section 136, do you feel your human rights have been respected? Could something have been better? As service users, do you feel that this is an area that needs to be explored further?

Any feedback would be very welcome. If you would like to PM me instead then that is fine. Thank you so much for any responses.

In the meantime, I hope you are all well, and for those of you who are due to start university or go back to university, good luck! :smile:

I cant really help, but i think i saw this happen on 999 whats your emergancy, and wasnt even aware it was a new thing!
I MH nurse attended along with police and ambulance to a guy who was fairly delusional and from what i saw it seemed like a really good idea, and deffinately was a hrlp to tge paramedics and police.

However he kicked up more when she arrived because he was convinced he was fine and wasnt happy a MH professional was there.

IIRC they let him go as he convinced them things were fine and later that same night they had another call regarding him. So in a way its a good idea, but as with lots of things it might not work all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is the problem individual in question, still has to be taken to an assessment unit, to be assessed by first sight a qualified psychiatrist, and then when the sentence switches over, a social worker and g.p. plus a second psychiarist too, so there are already safeguards in place at the moment. I don't think that having a nurse attend crisis points, when 999 has been called, will help much, it could actually get in the way of the police doing their jobs. I do think that it is a good idea for all police stations to have a nurse based there, as is now being done. Just my opinion though.
@Sabertooth don't beat yourself up too much about the D! From what I remember seeing it's a improvement from what you got before. Improvement is always a good thing! :hugs:

--

Think I've got the beginnings of a allergic reaction again. Think I've figured out what it could be now and it's going to be a pain in the arse trying to explain to work what's happened. (I think it's work related - the soap we use to wash our hands with) Getting a bit pissed off now with the itchyiness and stuff. It's like 3am and I can't sleep because of it.

I'm the one twin with issues and it gets me down. I'm the one with allergies. I'm the one with baldness. I'm the one with scars from birth. I'm the one in constant pain everyday which the doctors have no clue what's caused it or how to treat it. I'm so fed up of being the one with problems yet I'm the only one who has a job. She gets to be around in the house all day doing nothing yet I'm the one who has to, for example, get up at 5am and go to work. Pretty much everyone in the house was still asleep when I got back today at 11am! It annoys me because I get called lazy and pathetic and stupid and told off for saying that my sister should get a job and stop being so selfish. Whilst my sister doesn't do any of that and gets away Scot free!

Sorry for the rant guys. I'm just frustrated. Nothing's ever fair anymore and I'm just fed up.
Original post by Midnightmemories
@Sabertooth don't beat yourself up too much about the D! From what I remember seeing it's a improvement from what you got before. Improvement is always a good thing! :hugs:

--

Think I've got the beginnings of a allergic reaction again. Think I've figured out what it could be now and it's going to be a pain in the arse trying to explain to work what's happened. (I think it's work related - the soap we use to wash our hands with) Getting a bit pissed off now with the itchyiness and stuff. It's like 3am and I can't sleep because of it.

I'm the one twin with issues and it gets me down. I'm the one with allergies. I'm the one with baldness. I'm the one with scars from birth. I'm the one in constant pain everyday which the doctors have no clue what's caused it or how to treat it. I'm so fed up of being the one with problems yet I'm the only one who has a job. She gets to be around in the house all day doing nothing yet I'm the one who has to, for example, get up at 5am and go to work. Pretty much everyone in the house was still asleep when I got back today at 11am! It annoys me because I get called lazy and pathetic and stupid and told off for saying that my sister should get a job and stop being so selfish. Whilst my sister doesn't do any of that and gets away Scot free!

Sorry for the rant guys. I'm just frustrated. Nothing's ever fair anymore and I'm just fed up.

Thanks MM. It is an improvement on Fs but it's still a fail. :frown:

I get what you mean about being the one with all the problems; I have allergies, eczema, GERD, freckles, hemophilia, migraines, messed up thyroid, mental health ****....my brothers are all healthy and hardly ever see doctors. Pisses me right off and I get why you say it's not fair because it definitely isn;t. However, it sounds like you're really trying to improve your situation in life. That's really admirable. Yes, it sucks that your sister does nothnig but tbh that rarely pays off for people - eventually their laziness will catch up with them and they'll be ****ed whereas you'll hopefully by then moved up at work and are successful. :hugs:

I get what you mean about being the one with all the problems; I have allergies, eczema, GERD, freckles, hemophilia, migraines, messed up thyroid, mental health ****....my brothers are all healthy and hardly ever see doctors. Pisses me right off and I get why you say it's not fair because it definitely isn;t. However, it sounds like you're really trying to improve your situation in life. That's really admirable. Yes, it sucks that your sister does nothnig but tbh that rarely pays off for people - eventually their laziness will catch up with them and they'll be ****ed whereas you'll hopefully by then moved up at work and are successful. :hugs:

I know what you mean, life can feel SO ridiculously unfair sometimes. :frown: If it is karma of some sort? but I believe in karma so I often think it is, even though I'd like to think I'm a good person, not a saint but I wouldn't hurt a fly intentionally.

But I came across this quote awhile back,
“I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”
it's not a solution to anything, life is still ridiculously unfair but it helps calm me down because there is always some poor, poor soul in the world that has it just that little bit worse. :frown:
Drank a beer a couple of hours ago, then an hour later took some clonazepam. I feel really out of it, but in a nice way though, kinda floaty and relaxed. My wife got me to take them as I couldn't stop crying and both voices were shouting - was trying to revise and getting absolutely nowhere.

I read over and corrected this SPAG for this post multiple times so sorry if I missed anything :colondollar:
Greetings from Boston, USA, peeps! (Hence why I'm posting whilst you're all asleep, doh! :tongue: ) :hi:

I don't think I've written here in a while, so forgot to tell you all that I was going on holiday :facepalm: I've FINALLY managed to get TSR working on laptop again. I figured it out all by myself :proud: So I'll hopefully be on here a lot more in future and more able to reply posts. I find it difficult on the app. Plus I'm lazy :getmecoat:

Discrimination against people with Schizophrenia,

I has started getting pretty nasty on here against me recently!

#SozNotSoz mods, I've really tried not to say anything, but this takes the biscuit.

@john2054 : Ngl, this post above made me seriously LOL :lol: If you wanna come back in here and pretend to play "nice", fine. But don't think for a minute that any of us have forgotten who started that row with their inflammatory posts :wink: I know I have serious memory problems but even MY memory is not that bad :wink:

Top TLG tip here (alliteration FTW): if you don't want it "getting pretty nasty on here", don't post nasty stuff yourself. Treat others as you wish to be treated :wink:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Greetings from Boston, USA, peeps! (Hence why I'm posting whilst you're all asleep, doh! :tongue: ) :hi:
#SozNotSoz mods, I've really tried not to say anything, but this takes the biscuit.
@john2054 : Ngl, this post above made me seriously LOL :lol: If you wanna come back in here and pretend to play "nice", fine. But don't think for a minute that any of us have forgotten who started that row with their inflammatory posts :wink: I know I have serious memory problems but even MY memory is not that bad :wink:

Sorry but i don't know what you are talking about.
(edited 7 years ago)

Sorry but i don't know what you are talking about.

Of course you don't :angel:
x

Big, big hugs from here. :lovehug:

It wont let me rep you TLG. :eek3: :gasp: :loveduck:
Original post by sherbet_lemons7

It wont let me rep you TLG. :eek3: :gasp: :loveduck:

TSR conspiracy against us! We must overthrow the hierarchy! :headfire: :mob: :horse:

:ninja:
Original post by PandaWho
I cant really help, but i think i saw this happen on 999 whats your emergancy, and wasnt even aware it was a new thing!
I MH nurse attended along with police and ambulance to a guy who was fairly delusional and from what i saw it seemed like a really good idea, and deffinately was a hrlp to tge paramedics and police.

However he kicked up more when she arrived because he was convinced he was fine and wasnt happy a MH professional was there.

IIRC they let him go as he convinced them things were fine and later that same night they had another call regarding him. So in a way its a good idea, but as with lots of things it might not work all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

@Deyesy did a thread about 999 what's your emergency. No idea if that would be of any use to Bullet Theory?
Original post by Anonymous
I fit near enough all the symptoms of schizoid personality disorder, reading out the symptoms is like reading a description of my personality. I have felt like this for some time but now I feel like it is starting to stop me from going out and doing stuff, as well as not caring much at all for friends and certain family members, I feel like I should ask for help, however I feel like that there is little that someone could do to help me, because I would struggle to engage in any therapy. Also, medication is completely out of the question, God only knows what poison they would be giving to me.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Hiya :hugs:

Schizoid PD is one of mine. I know what it feels like to feel alone and think as though you have no support. However, PDs can only be diagnosed by trained professionals. :yep:

The medication isn't poison, btw. I'm on my sixth attempt. There is many side effects, oh yes, but it's not poison. Medication usually goes hand in hand with some of therapy.

Honestly, do PM me if you need a rant about anything. I also don't engage in therapy, there is a worry that it might mess me up way too much. :redface:
Original post by Tiger Rag
@Deyesy did a thread about 999 what's your emergency. No idea if that would be of any use to Bullet Theory?

Yes you are right. Thanks for reminding me, I will try to find it :smile:

Original post by PandaWho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Yes I heard that it was on that programme, I don't watch it but I may try to dig that one out. Sounds interesting though - shame that they weren't able to support him the first time, but hopefully he got some help in the end. I think it is important to support the police as much as possible when it comes to mental health - for their sake and also for service users.

The thing is the problem individual in question, still has to be taken to an assessment unit, to be assessed by first sight a qualified psychiatrist, and then when the sentence switches over, a social worker and g.p. plus a second psychiarist too, so there are already safeguards in place at the moment. I don't think that having a nurse attend crisis points, when 999 has been called, will help much, it could actually get in the way of the police doing their jobs. I do think that it is a good idea for all police stations to have a nurse based there, as is now being done. Just my opinion though.

From what I can gather, the point of the mental health professional attending calls is to triage people out and about and to provide a medical/social viewpoint to the police so they can make appropriate decisions. A lot of the statistics show that there is a significant number of people detained under section 136 who have no mental illness at all and also a lot of people being released after being assessed. The idea is that a mh professional will be able to determine who actually is mentally unwell and who needs to be assessed for admission, rather than relying on a police officer's somewhat limited knowledge.

Are you saying that you feel that provided there is some medical opinion one a person has been detained that is fine for you? Thank you for your view - it's great to hear different opinions.
Original post by Tiger Rag
@Deyesy did a thread about 999 what's your emergency. No idea if that would be of any use to Bullettheory?

X

I did indeed :smile:

See: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4232088 ^_^

I believe if you get a grade you don't "fail". You just don't get to hit the high bar that some random person has set.

Sorry for the rant last night, i was just annoyed at how i can still not pass the one thing i wanted to yet i can somehow do other things? It doesn't make sense.
Does anyone feel like getting admitted to hospital?

I know I always hate in there and it upsets my family but I just feel like I need a brake :frown:

Latest