The Student Room Group

GCSE geography controlled assessment word limit

I have just completed my fieldwork report my ccea GCSE geography controlled assessment. My teacher never once told us that there was a 2000 word count limit, I only found out by reading the specification on their website. I've written about 9000 words. What do I do? I don't want to have to go back and re-organise it all because I have revision to be doing. Does it really matter? Surely I won't lose marks?
Original post by adz234
I have just completed my fieldwork report my ccea GCSE geography controlled assessment. My teacher never once told us that there was a 2000 word count limit, I only found out by reading the specification on their website. I've written about 9000 words. What do I do? I don't want to have to go back and re-organise it all because I have revision to be doing. Does it really matter? Surely I won't lose marks?

Apparently you do loose marks... That's what my teacher said.

I went from an A* coursework and on results day I see it got marked down by AQA to a D.

There went my A* in geo. :/
Reply 2
Wait...you're saying me you wrote 9000 words.:eek:Anyway recently,we completed our Geography coursework as well.My teacher told that they will accept 2000-2300,but seriously 9000 is a lot of words.Back to your question,in our school there were many people who went over the limit, so our head of geography is going to ring the examiner to ask this.
(edited 7 years ago)
For ours we got told that you have to go for somewhere between 1800-2200, and that's okay because the examiner won't count them but if its really obviously too many, or too few, then you can lose 2 marks. But as far as I know the methodology sections and captions, etc. don't count it's just for things like introductions, so if you are including all of those areas too in the 9000, re-count without those areas and then try and cut down the word count.
Reply 4
Our geography teacher told us to just ignore the word count, he said since it's only worth 2 marks there's no need to "jeopardise the quality of your work" since you can still get 100 UMS without those marks. Don't stress about it too much, really it's not worth it to rewrite your entire c/a for 2 marks. I'm sure you'll do great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest