The Student Room Group

Low ukcat helpppppp

Hello,
I have recently done my UKCAT and did not achieve as high as I wanted to, I got 617(Vr-500, Qr-650, Ar-700)

For GCSE's I received 6A*8A2B. I will also convince teachers for predicted grades. I wasn't planning on applying to BMAT universities as you need a high UMS which I don't really have but will consider applying to imperial.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Before I really wanted to apply to Kings is that option gone for me? (realistically)
2)People keep saying apply to Unis which aren't UKCAT heavy, but how can I view their cut off score?
3) Which other BMAT unis would you say are easier to get to compared to the rest?
4)Any international unis you could recommend?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, even if you could answer one I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
King's isn't maybe the best option for you, but if you have your heart set on it, it's worth a try. The unis that aren't UKCAT heavy don't necessarily have a certain cut-off score - they might, for example, score your application as a whole and place relatively little weight on the UKCAT. You should check out the pdf document behind the following link that explains how unis use the UKCAT this year: https://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi7yai5uoTPAhXGHpoKHfzyAcQQFggpMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ukcat.ac.uk%2FApp_Media%2Fuploads%2Fpdf%2FUsing%2520my%25202016%2520UKCAT%2520Result.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEAcj1hDtmHnAiCO7MZ8VJMS-jzug&sig2=IugBkWwDMU-fJnbOi0bTUQ&bvm=bv.132479545,d.bGs

No med school is easy to get into, but at least I've assumed that from BMAT unis, Brighton & Sussex and Lancaster might be easier than, for example, the big London schools. I'm not sure about the UMS thing though - I don't do A levels so don't have UMS which is maybe why I haven't looked into it as much, but I haven't heard of any other unis than Cambridge using UMS?

Good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ashamraad
Hello,
I have recently done my UKCAT and did not achieve as high as I wanted to, I got 617(Vr-500, Qr-650, Ar-700)

For GCSE's I received 6A*8A2B. I will also convince teachers for predicted grades. I wasn't planning on applying to BMAT universities as you need a high UMS which I don't really have but will consider applying to imperial.

1) Before I really wanted to apply to Kings is that option gone for me? (realistically)
2)People keep saying apply to Unis which aren't UKCAT heavy, but how can I view their cut off score?
3) Which other BMAT unis would you say are easier to get to compared to the rest?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, even if you could answer one I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

1) I agree with previous post; I personally think it would be a wasted option, as King's have been explicit about their cutoffs in the past, which are all higher than 617 unfortunately. If you are super keen to go there only, then I would personally take a year out and try again next year. It's a drastic option; in my opinion, no medical school is worth that kind of action if you had an alternative offer, especially when there's no guarantee you'd get in next year either

2) few medical schools like to publish their cutoffs, for a variety of reasons. If you google 'ukcat cutoff', the top few hits will be how medical schools use ukcat score (found on the ukcat website). It's not amazing, and it's incomplete, but it might give you an idea

3) I have no idea, sorry

4) I personally would steer clear of international medical schools unless you are dual-national (US/Canada/Australia/NZ); if you're thinking of a European medical school (classically, bulgaria, albania, etc), then a bit of searching in SR will give you an idea of the complications and difficulties associated this would be. Don't rule it out entirely, but don't apply just because you didn't get in to UK medical schools (if that happens, which I hope doesn't :smile:
Don't apply to UKCAT heavy universities. I think Bristol is 70% personal statement. Avoid places like Southampton which award interviews based solely on UKCAT.

1) King's isn't the best option. They tend to have somewhat higher UKCAT requirements. However, if your predicted grades are good, they might make up for it. Give it a shot if you really really want to go to King's.
2) Cutoffs aren't published often but you can check the UKCAT Consortium 2017 for an indication. Some unis may say nothing lower than 3rd decile which isn't very helpful but you can check the decile scores for previous years.
3) For BMAT unis, Brighton & Sussex and Leeds might be easier than UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge.
4) Look at Study Medicine Europe. They offer medical degrees in Bulgaria and Romania. Other than that, I have no clue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your reply and attaching the document, this will make it a lot easier!:smile:

I guess I shouldn't be stubborn when it comes to Kings because apparently getting the chance to study medicine at any university is an achievement.

By any chance do you know if it is possible to transfer unis if say you do extremely well in the first couple of years?
Reply 5
Thank you a lot for your very useful reply!:smile:

If say I do have to take a gap year will I have to write a new personal statement and do the UKCAT again?
Reply 6
Thats what I heard so I was planning to apply to Bristol but I heard they prefer applicants with a wider range of subjects such as a humanity? and I unfortunately do all sciences and maths.

Thank you also for your helpful reply!:smile:
Reply 7
Thank you a lot for your very useful reply!:smile:

If say I do have to take a gap year will I have to write a new personal statement and do the UKCAT again?

you would need to submit a fresh UCAS application, but you can use the same personal statement (though you may wish to add things you've done during any gap year you did take).
You would also have to do the UKCAT again, but that's what you'd want, right? (to improve your score to get into King's)
Would you say a score within the 8th decile according to the 2016 preliminary mean scores (between 2030 and 2100) is good enough for UKCAT heavy medical schools?
Hello,

Thank you

Hi yes Kings is unlikely because they demand a high ukcat.

Take a look at this
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf
Personally I found the BMAT horrible so applying to 2/3 BMAT unis does carry a risk.
Reply 10
I have a very similar UKCAT score and I really don't know what to do now. Mine is 620 (560- AR, 690-QR, 610-AR, band 2). I was thinking of East Anglia but they want at least an A in GCSE English Language and this is the same for Bristol. York was my first option but I don't really know anymore...

Quick Reply