The Student Room Group

Transition Metals A2 Colours - Which ones do we need to learn?

In the table, there are so many colours of metals and their oxidation states.
Unless you are planning or have taken A2, which ones are the ones you need to know off by memory?

Thanks.
Reply 1
If they're in the book I'd memorise them all.
Reply 2
Original post by alow
If they're in the book I'd memorise them all.

The trouble is that for instance,
Fe 2+ is given as pale green
Fe 3+ is given as yellow

They make it explicitly clear that this knowledge is required.

The rest isn't explicitly mentioned, and the specification makes no note of it.
Original post by nwmyname
In the table, there are so many colours of metals and their oxidation states.
Unless you are planning or have taken A2, which ones are the ones you need to know off by memory?

Thanks.

Cu+2
Fe+2
Fe+3
Zn+2
Mn+2
Ni+2
Cr+2
Cr+3
Cr+6(Can be yellow/ orange depending on whether it's dichromate state(orange) or chromate(yellow) )
V+2
V+3
V+4
V+5

Btw, are you following Edexcel(Old spec), I told as per the Old specification as I am an International Student so if you follow this specification then you need to know the above mentioned ions and their colours.
Reply 4
Original post by sabahshahed294
Cu+2
Fe+2
Fe+3
Zn+2
Mn+2
Ni+2
Cr+2
Cr+3
Cr+6(Can be yellow/ orange depending on whether it's dichromate state(orange) or chromate(yellow) )
V+2
V+3
V+4
V+5

Btw, are you following Edexcel(Old spec), I told as per the Old specification as I am an International Student so if you follow this specification then you need to know the above mentioned ions and their colours.

No I am doing OCR A new spec, but they are the same as the old spec. Thanks very much.

I thought zn+2 does not have a colour.
No I am doing OCR A new spec, but they are the same as the old spec. Thanks very much.

I thought zn+2 does not have a colour.

It is colourless I know but I just mentioned it since you asked about the ions. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by sabahshahed294
It is colourless I know but I just mentioned it since you asked about the ions. :smile:

Appreciated :smile: thanks
Appreciated :smile: thanks

No problem! :smile:
Best of luck for A2!

Quick Reply

Latest