The Student Room Group

Is the Medicine dream over?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ashamraad
Well if it makes you feel better you got higher than me in the UKCAT:biggrin: Still apply, you might want to apply to at least some BMAT universities.

Yeah I'm gonna take the BMAT and see how it goes so I'll have a few more options. Hopefully the UKCAT cut off will be significantly lower as Z1228 said.
Original post by EvilEarth567
My school teacher said the D will be a problem because I still have to declare it on my application. I'm just worried about getting 4 rejections then have my choices of uni's lowered even further. Thanks for the response :biggrin:

Apply for one course with a foundation year then if you are not confident.
Yeah I'm gonna take the BMAT and see how it goes so I'll have a few more options. Hopefully the UKCAT cut off will be significantly lower as Z1228 said.

yessssss Decision making was such an easy section!!! Oh well hopefully we all make it, good luck!!!!:smile:
Original post by Kattah96
Some teachers are just very bitter....who do they think they are to tell you that?!
Honestly, use that as a source of motivation by the sound of it you are very academically gifted. You GCSEs and AS grades are great!
If you just push yourself a bit more...you can achieve such great grades...drop the D and go with the best 3.

Yes of course there are some people with 11A* and other stupendous grades but all you need to remember...you might have something they do not.

Well done for making the effort to being able to get work experience, the more the better!!!

Best of Luck...remember everyone's journey to what they want to achieve is always going to be different. Its not about when you get there...its about how you get there.

Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice :biggrin:. I know I could've done better in my GCSE's but my school wasn't the greatest (below 50% for 5A*s - C). A gap year seems like a wise choice to me but I might apply just to test my luck. Thanks again :biggrin:
Original post by ashamraad
yessssss Decision making was such an easy section!!! Oh well hopefully we all make it, good luck!!!!:smile:

yeah DM wasn't too bad but AR really screwed me over :frown:. In my mocks I was getting high 600's for AR then I got 620 :frown:. Anyway whats done is done. Thank you and best of luck to you as well :smile:
Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice :biggrin:. I know I could've done better in my GCSE's but my school wasn't the greatest (below 50% for 5A*s - C). A gap year seems like a wise choice to me but I might apply just to test my luck. Thanks again :biggrin:

My pleasure, one thing I can't stand is teacher putting pupils down. I too went through the same thing and told 'I was setting myself up for failure'. Since leaving I have never been happier.

I know you think your grades could be better but always know you did your best. Some people could be doing backflips with those grades!!! Plus you seem like a lovely person.

I hope you have a great gap year. Its a great opportunity to develop further and to experience life before entering the uni bubble.

Best of Luck :smile:
Original post by richpanda
Apply for one course with a foundation year then if you are not confident.

The problem with that is I'll need to A2 predictions to be lowered so then I can't apply for the normal A100 course as well.
Original post by Kattah96
My pleasure, one thing I can't stand is teacher putting pupils down. I too went through the same thing and told 'I was setting myself up for failure'. Since leaving I have never been happier.

I know you think your grades could be better but always know you did your best. Some people could be doing backflips with those grades!!! Plus you seem like a lovely person.

I hope you have a great gap year. Its a great opportunity to develop further and to experience life before entering the uni bubble.

Best of Luck :smile:

Thank you for the kind words :smile:. Hopefully I'll do well in my A2's so I have a better chance of getting in and a gap year will give me a lot of opportunities to develop myself and enjoy life :biggrin:.
Original post by Z1228
GCSE's are amongst the weaker side for sure and the D may be a problem, any chance of a remark? A2 predictions are great but they don't really count for much! UKCAT is actually good people are forgetting this year only 3 sections are assessed. So unis will bring down the average cut off! I would recommend Sheffield, the want 617 at UKCAT this year. Definitely apply cause you can always apply for a 5th back up and also clearing and adjustment. Never give up on your dreams, hope to see you in med school!

With only 3 sections the average cut off will if anything increase, not decrease. In the past years the DA average was always a bit below the overall average so it generally pulled scores down. Also with only 3 subsections instead of 4, its likely people will have spent more time revising each section (only 3 to revise instead of 4) so chances are the cutoffs will increase from the previous years
Original post by neon_reaper
With only 3 sections the average cut off will if anything increase, not decrease. In the past years the DA average was always a bit below the overall average so it generally pulled scores down. Also with only 3 subsections instead of 4, its likely people will have spent more time revising each section (only 3 to revise instead of 4) so chances are the cutoffs will increase from the previous years

Oh really? Damn :/. I'll probably end up taking a gap year so I have to resit it anyway haha :biggrin:
Reply 30
So I just started year 13 and was hoping to apply for medicine. Teachers at my school have told me I virtually have no chance :'(

My stats are:
2A*'s, 5A's and 5B's at GCSE
AABD (bio, chem, maths (missed out on an A by 1 mark) and computing) at AS
630 average, Band 2 in my UKCAT
A2 predictions - AAA
I have also done work experience at a hospital and GP each for 1 week, helped out at a school for children with special needs for 3 months and volunteered at a care home for 1 month.

Do I have a chance at any medical school?

Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks :biggrin:

Apply to 2 Med schools to try out your luck and to 3 Biomed courses. If you don't get accepted to medicine then apply as a grad.

You may have a good chance of getting an interview at sgul........
They interview anyone who meets the minimum entry criteria and from the back of my mind I think their UKCAT cut off is quite low.
If you're eligible for a foundation year course then maybe try and get your teachers to lower your predicted grades? One of my friends got an offer for foundation medicine with bbcd at AS level.

Tbh I have similar GCSE grades to you and I was never discouraged from applying to medicine- but I (stupidly) decided to not apply last year even though I had good AS grades and A*Aa predictions. So I definitely think you should still apply, either doing a foundation course or applying to Med schools that place less emphasis on GCSE and UKCAT scores.

I also want to say that, if you do apply this year, make sure you have a backup option that you'd still enjoy if you didn't get the offer for medicine or the grades needed come results day. I had to go through clearing because I messed up my A2 grades and I'm starting neuroscience at Leicester this month! Leicester have a transfer programme where, if you perform extremely well in your first year exams, you can transfer into undergrad medicine. (However I know how competitive this is- but iys worth a shot imo!)

Personally, I'm also looking into GEM but I'm fairly conservative about it because of how competitive it is. However, to give you another little story (lol) my cousin, who did a biomed degree at Leeds, has just got into GEM after getting a 2.1, so it's possible (she also said that her friend, who had a first, didn't get in- she emphasised how other factors are also important like work experience/ caring nature etc,).

I hope that gives you some hope that, even if you don't get an offer this year, there's always other options. PM me if you'd like, about anything related to medicine :smile:
Original post by saran23
Apply to 2 Med schools to try out your luck and to 3 Biomed courses. If you don't get accepted to medicine then apply as a grad.

You may have a good chance of getting an interview at sgul........
They interview anyone who meets the minimum entry criteria and from the back of my mind I think their UKCAT cut off is quite low.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely look up details on their website :smile:.
Reply 33
Thanks for the response :biggrin:. This is what I've been thinking to do or maybe do a neuroscience degree and apply for graduate entry

Just remember the extra time and money involved in post grad entry, and it's more competitive :smile: I'd always suggest people try the gap year approach first
you could apply to unis that don't look at your AS grades?
Original post by Lularose83
If you're eligible for a foundation year course then maybe try and get your teachers to lower your predicted grades? One of my friends got an offer for foundation medicine with bbcd at AS level.

Tbh I have similar GCSE grades to you and I was never discouraged from applying to medicine- but I (stupidly) decided to not apply last year even though I had good AS grades and A*Aa predictions. So I definitely think you should still apply, either doing a foundation course or applying to Med schools that place less emphasis on GCSE and UKCAT scores.

I also want to say that, if you do apply this year, make sure you have a backup option that you'd still enjoy if you didn't get the offer for medicine or the grades needed come results day. I had to go through clearing because I messed up my A2 grades and I'm starting neuroscience at Leicester this month! Leicester have a transfer programme where, if you perform extremely well in your first year exams, you can transfer into undergrad medicine. (However I know how competitive this is- but iys worth a shot imo!)

Personally, I'm also looking into GEM but I'm fairly conservative about it because of how competitive it is. However, to give you another little story (lol) my cousin, who did a biomed degree at Leeds, has just got into GEM after getting a 2.1, so it's possible (she also said that her friend, who had a first, didn't get in- she emphasised how other factors are also important like work experience/ caring nature etc,).

I hope that gives you some hope that, even if you don't get an offer this year, there's always other options. PM me if you'd like, about anything related to medicine :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile:. I'm unsure of which uni's to apply to for medicine because from what I've seen you need either good academics (including GCSE's) or a good UKCAT. I'm also thinking of doing neuroscience as a 5th option at Bristol but I don't think they have the transfer option :frown:. If I do apply this year then neuroscience will definitely be one of my options :biggrin:. Bristol do require 3A's though so lowering my predictions won't allow me to apply for neuroscience :frown:. Anyway thank you so for the advice :smile:.
Original post by Ezme39
Just remember the extra time and money involved in post grad entry, and it's more competitive :smile: I'd always suggest people try the gap year approach first

Yeah thats looking most likely right now. Thanks :smile:
Original post by sixgreenpeas
you could apply to unis that don't look at your AS grades?

There's uni's like that? I thought all look at your AS grades?
Thanks for the advice :smile:. I'm unsure of which uni's to apply to for medicine because from what I've seen you need either good academics (including GCSE's) or a good UKCAT. I'm also thinking of doing neuroscience as a 5th option at Bristol but I don't think they have the transfer option :frown:. If I do apply this year then neuroscience will definitely be one of my options :biggrin:. Bristol do require 3A's though so lowering my predictions won't allow me to apply for neuroscience :frown:. Anyway thank you so for the advice :smile:.

No worries! I'm glad I could help a bit! :smile: I think your best option is to try and do foundation year medicine!
There's uni's like that? I thought all look at your AS grades?

nope off the top of my head UCL no longer look at your AS grades, heck some schools don't even do AS exams (they just do mocks at the end of year one and use them to get predicted grades for A2)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending