The Student Room Group

West Midlands Police Considers Allowing The Burka

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generallee
That's just an anecdote. Do you dispute my contention that gay Muslims in Britain face appalling prejudice from their own "community?"

You gotta love Muslim scholars on the subject, by the way. They don't argue about whether you guys should be executed, but how...

Burned to death or stoning? A tough theological question, that one, Jesus. :frown:

https://islamqa.info/en/84140

To be honest, I have never met a muslim who's bullied me for being gay or abused me or told me I should die. I have, however, met tonnes of average British people - atheists or Christian - who have.

Anecdotes ar useful. You can't really measure what you're talking about without them. Not everything is verifiable by hard measurable facts.
maybe Scottish policemen should be allowed to wear kilts on duty.
Original post by ivybridge
Pal, I'm not going to try and impress a weasel over a computer screen at half two in the morning. Don't start trying to insult my intelligence. Come back when you get offers from elite US universities then we'll compare, yeah?

Night little one.

Well done for getting those offers!
To be honest, I have never met a muslim who's bullied me for being gay or abused me or told me I should die.

If you are not celibate they hold to a belief system which if true, means that when you actually DO die, your "soul" will then spend all eternity in hell.

Maybe that is enough for them?
Sounds like a non starter.

There will be some situations where police officers will be asked to identify themselves. And, in some situations, it is a requirement that they produce their warrant card to do so, without being asked.

The main feature of a warrant card is the photo ID part. So, I'd imagine that wearing clothing that completely, or substantially, covers the face would frustrate the intended use of said card.

It's nice that we have police forces wanting to encourage all groups in society to join the police. I suspect that this is what is going on here. But in reality, I doubt we'll see police officers wearing the burka.

So all in all, TSR has four pages of Islamaphobia... and all over nothing. Nice.
(edited 7 years ago)
On the one hand, it's great that they are encouraging Muslim women to join the police force. On the other hand, I don't feel that I could trust someone if they aren't showing their face or their eyes! A huge part of being able to trust someone is eye contact.
They are the ones throwing gay men from buildings - yes you have.

There are many groups that throw gays from buildings, you assume too much.
Original post by the bear
maybe Scottish policemen should be allowed to wear kilts on duty.

In America, it's completely routine.

To be honest, I have never met a muslim who's bullied me for being gay or abused me or told me I should die. I have, however, met tonnes of average British people - atheists or Christian - who have.

Anecdotes ar useful. You can't really measure what you're talking about without them. Not everything is verifiable by hard measurable facts.

That would be because Muslims only represent around 4% of the UK population while atheists + Christians represent around 80% so statistically you would be more likely to be abused by a Christian or an atheist than a Muslim. That doesn't mean that Muslims are somehow more tolerant of gays than Christians and atheists- far from it..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by generallee
If you are not celibate they hold to a belief system which if true, means that when you actually DO die, your "soul" will then spend all eternity in hell.

Maybe that is enough for them?

I don't quite care what they believe, I care how they treat me because of it. They don't treat me poorly, therefore I couldn't care less.

Original post by Trapz99
That would be because Muslims only represent around 4% of the UK population while atheists + Christians represent around 80% so statistically you would be more likely to be abused by a Christian or an atheist than a Muslim. That doesn't mean that Muslims are somehow more tolerant of gays than Christians and atheists- far from it..

I didn't say Muslims were mor tolerant - I'm saying that we shouldn't all tar with the same brush. That goes for any denomination or mainstream religious system.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
In America, it's completely routine.

you can't see his helmet

:dontknow: *

A new undercover squad from CID gathering evidence in Birmingham.

Note the absence of helmets...
What an affront to our values. I refuse to deal with a police officer if they are wearing that. How can a member of the public trust someone whose face you can't see. It's not okay for someone in a burqa to just arrest you
Surely regular police officers need to be easily identifiable as police officers and would therefore need to show their face?
Reply 54
So what? Who are you to dictate what women should wear?

Freedom
Would members of the public feel comfortable seeing burqa clad police officers holding firearms in Euston station or Heathrow airport for example? It really Dosent inspire confidence in being able to approach and neither is it the most reassuring thing to see after an inevitable Islamic terror attack. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that extremists could infiltrate the police force and use this to their advantage. Plus, do you really think that Muslim women who wear the burqa would be permitted by their family to join? Many Muslims hate British institutions like the police and armed forces. What if they turn a blind eye to the goings on in their communities? With Rotherham Oxford dewsbury and countless other examples, this is the last thing Britain needs
(edited 7 years ago)
It wasn't muslims refusing to stand in solidarity with the Orlando LGBT community after the attacks - it was far-right extremists and Christian pastors.

People don't need "Muslims standing in solidarity", they want to cease Muslim terrorism.
Original post by Jee1
So what? Who are you to dictate what women should wear?

Freedom

Almost all schools, and places of work have a dress code..*

Infact even being out in public has a legal dress code (though a very loose one)

- you spend almost all your life living under dictation of what you can and cant wear, with the only exception being in the privacy of your own home. *

--

The real question in this debate is not should we be able to dicate what women wear, as all female police officers are told what to wear, and what not to wear.. the question is should the burqa be on the allowed list, or the not allowed list, which requires a detailed analysis of the job requirements and whether the burqa would ever impeed them.

Freedom has no place in this argument, as no police offers have the freedom to wear anything they like. Only what is allowed and what is not. **
Also how the hell would they do routine on the beat tasks l, such as seizing alcohol from minors in public places when they can't even touch alcohol. Will they give chase if a customer has stolen pork from a supermarket etc? There is to many variables that make the pursuit of a potential offender unlikely to be completed. There have been quite a few stories over the past few years where Muslims have refused to serve alcohol or pork products when working on checkouts. Transfer that same attitude to policing on the beat; what if they refuse to restrain another Muslim "because it's unislamic" or "not gods will" and then that person goes on to blow himself to smithereens in a busy public space?

Quick Reply

Latest