The Student Room Group

Bus Driver Triggered My Social Anxitey?

Okay so,my friend told me it would be okay to go ok go on the school bus with her and that she even asked. I got on the bus and all the kids I knew were like "you don't go on here!1!" She didn't say anything when I entered. But then right when I sat down she say,"you don't go on here, get off my bus!" And so I started staring up and getting social anxiety. It was all a misunderstanding and I went to go explain but instead she yelled at me and said,"NO GET OFF MY BUS!". It was all a misunderstanding and it triggered a social anxiety attack and I still can't get over it. I'm hesitating to tell the school I have S.A.D. I know I was in the wrong, but couldn't she have been nicer? Like it made me so embarrased. I can't even show my face in school on Monday.
If anything comes of it, tell the school the truth. At the end of the day you probably need kindness and understanding here rather than yelling at.
"Getting social anxiety" lol this is 100% misuse of the disorder, it doesn't happen after one event. And "she" may be two different people.
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
"Getting social anxiety" lol this is 100% misuse of the disorder, it doesn't happen after one event. And "she" may be two different people.

I show symptoms of social anxiety, it wasn't just one event. I LITTERALY can't work in a group with people, I couldn't stay at a graduation party because of how uncomfortable I got, I start shaking and tearing up, also sweating. I can't raise my hand like other kids because of how scared I am of getting something wrong. I can't read aloud to the class because I stutter and mess up. So your point of me not having S.A.D?
Reply 4
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
If anything comes of it, tell the school the truth. At the end of the day you probably need kindness and understanding here rather than yelling at.

I've honestly only told a few people about it, not even my own parents yet. But yeah, I should tell the school. I don't wanna go up there without being medically diagnosed. They'll think I'm lying even though why TF would anyone lie about a mental illness.
Original post by crybabybliss
I show symptoms of social anxiety, it wasn't just one event. I LITTERALY can't work in a group with people, I couldn't stay at a graduation party because of how uncomfortable I got, I start shaking and tearing up, also sweating. I can't raise my hand like other kids because of how scared I am of getting something wrong. I can't read aloud to the class because I stutter and mess up. So your point of me not having S.A.D?

Nah, wasn't accusing you of not having it. But you should know that your thoughts determine your actions, and in pretty much everyone with anxiety, their thoughts can be described as systematic risk-aversion, to the point that the only person they are comfortable with is their own self, and something as harmless as being talked to causes them to trigger their risk-aversion; to act in ways that repel others.

Does that give you an idea of how to overcome it?
Reply 6
I've honestly only told a few people about it, not even my own parents yet. But yeah, I should tell the school. I don't wanna go up there without being medically diagnosed. They'll think I'm lying even though why TF would anyone lie about a mental illness.

People lie about it because they think they can get away with things they wouldn't usually be able to. Most people know that you can't take things without paying, but someone with self diagnosed social anxiety thinks that this is a reason they shouldn't be told off. Someone with self diagnosed social anxiety knows they are in the wrong, but thinks they should be excused because of their issues that they have no medical proof for.
A lot of bus drivers are complete dicks, don't get worried about it. :smile: Also, whoever dropped my post, rep it again please, will be much appreciated. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by shawn_o1
Nah, wasn't accusing you of not having it. But you should know that your thoughts determine your actions, and in pretty much everyone with anxiety, their thoughts can be described as systematic risk-aversion, to the point that the only person they are comfortable with is their own self, and something as harmless as being talked to causes them to trigger their risk-aversion; to act in ways that repel others.

Does that give you an idea of how to overcome it?

Okay I see where you are coming from, but it wasn't her yelling it was the kids //mostly the ones I knew// and what they would think of me. I honestly feel like a joke. But I do see what you mean now.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
People lie about it because they think they can get away with things they wouldn't usually be able to. Most people know that you can't take things without paying, but someone with self diagnosed social anxiety thinks that this is a reason they shouldn't be told off. Someone with self diagnosed social anxiety knows they are in the wrong, but thinks they should be excused because of their issues that they have no medical proof for.

Like I said, I want to go to the doctors and see if it even have it. I honestly think I do because I show symptoms. I do not think you should use your mental illness as a defense for things It's not that I think that I shouldn't be told off, I know I was in the wrong but it was a misunderstanding because I didn't know that I couldn't be on the bus without permission and I was going with what my friend said. It wasn't how she addressed it, even if she did say it nicely, I would still have hella social anxiety. Because I would think of all the kids that I just embarrassed myself in front of. But her being rude and not letting me explain it made it worse.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
A lot of bus drivers are complete dicks, don't get worried able it it. :smile:

Yeh maybe I'm just overthinking but idk.
Yeh maybe I'm just overthinking but idk.

It's okay, I get it, I have problems with anxiety too. But, try not to get upset about idiotic bus drivers. :smile:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
A lot of bus drivers are complete dicks, don't get worried about it. :smile: Also, whoever dropped my post, rep it again please, will be much appreciated. :biggrin:

Hahah I'll try. How do you drop a rep? This is my first day here.
Hahah I'll try. How do you drop a rep? This is my first day here.

Arrgh, more of my spelling mistakes. Apple's spellcheck can go to the deep recess of hell. Sorry. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
btw I'm curious to know whether OP is an employee at the school, it doesn't seem like she's a fellow pupil at that school because she does infer she's a graduate. I guess one way to feel better about yourself is how you got your role at the school despite your social anxiety - I got just 3 months of work in the year after I graduated and I am failing interviews one after the other, there's only so much I can take until I lose heart in everything and become no longer surprised that I fail an interview.

SAD is actually an acronym for Seasonal Affective Disorder, not social anxiety. Just a heads up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending