The Student Room Group

Is the Medicine dream over?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EvilEarth567
So I just started year 13 and was hoping to apply for medicine. Teachers at my school have told me I virtually have no chance :'(

My stats are:
2A*'s, 5A's and 5B's at GCSE
AABD (bio, chem, maths (missed out on an A by 1 mark) and computing) at AS
630 average, Band 2 in my UKCAT
A2 predictions - AAA
I have also done work experience at a hospital and GP each for 1 week, helped out at a school for children with special needs for 3 months and volunteered at a care home for 1 month.

Do I have a chance at any medical school?

Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks :biggrin:

Hey, don't think that your medicine dream is over because at the end of the day, if you still want to pursue it there's always postgraduate medicine.

The harsh reality is so many people apply with literally perfect grades. I had AABB at AS, and 8 A*s at GCSE, but unfortunately I didn't get in and I knew I was taking a gamble with my AS grades. Tbh I had an extra disadvantage because at the time my grade for English Literature was a C, which affected the med schools I applied to since most wanted a B in the fourth AS, then out of the blue in December my school's appeal came back saying onlt my grade had changed.

I think it's great you're eligible for some foundation courses, it's a much safer bet. Have you thought of applying to the extended course at King's? Because I know for that, your predictions would be fine the way they are.

Good luck applying
Original post by Lunch@Tiffany
Hey, don't think that your medicine dream is over because at the end of the day, if you still want to pursue it there's always postgraduate medicine.

The harsh reality is so many people apply with literally perfect grades. I had AABB at AS, and 8 A*s at GCSE, but unfortunately I didn't get in and I knew I was taking a gamble with my AS grades. Tbh I had an extra disadvantage because at the time my grade for English Literature was a C, which affected the med schools I applied to since most wanted a B in the fourth AS, then out of the blue in December my school's appeal came back saying onlt my grade had changed.

I think it's great you're eligible for some foundation courses, it's a much safer bet. Have you thought of applying to the extended course at King's? Because I know for that, your predictions would be fine the way they are.

Good luck applying

I just looked on the KCL website and unfortunately I can't apply for that as I didn't participate in realising opportunities. The problem with applying for foundation courses is that I'd need my predictions lowered so I won't be able to apply for the A100 course or even biomed at some uni's. Thanks for the advice though :smile:.
I just looked on the KCL website and unfortunately I can't apply for that as I didn't participate in realising opportunities. The problem with applying for foundation courses is that I'd need my predictions lowered so I won't be able to apply for the A100 course or even biomed at some uni's. Thanks for the advice though :smile:.

I think applying to A100 courses is incredibly risky. Because even if they say they don't look at AS grades etc, due to the sheer volume they're dealing with they'll take into account every single factor they possibly can. That's a real shame about King's, but would AAB predictions suffice for the other foundation courses? Then you could still apply to biomed and get the best of both worlds...
Reply 43
So I just started year 13 and was hoping to apply for medicine. Teachers at my school have told me I virtually have no chance :'(

My stats are:
2A*'s, 5A's and 5B's at GCSE
AABD (bio, chem, maths (missed out on an A by 1 mark) and computing) at AS
630 average, Band 2 in my UKCAT
A2 predictions - AAA
I have also done work experience at a hospital and GP each for 1 week, helped out at a school for children with special needs for 3 months and volunteered at a care home for 1 month.

Do I have a chance at any medical school?

Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks :biggrin:

For your 5th option you can apply to clinical sciences at bradford uni... this will give you a chance to strudy medicine if you do well. On the other hand you could apply for molecular medicine at leeds uni. This will allow you to jump into year 3 medidice after you have completed the 3 year degree.
Reply 44

Hey there, are you sure that KCL has that requirement?
Do you mind linking it please because i just checked their site and i cant see that requirement.
I think applying to A100 courses is incredibly risky. Because even if they say they don't look at AS grades etc, due to the sheer volume they're dealing with they'll take into account every single factor they possibly can. That's a real shame about King's, but would AAB predictions suffice for the other foundation courses? Then you could still apply to biomed and get the best of both worlds...

I think AAB would be enough to apply to foundation courses so I can give those a shot.
Original post by Delvine
Hey there, are you sure that KCL has that requirement?
Do you mind linking it please because i just checked their site and i cant see that requirement.

It says either selective state schools in greater London or participants of realising opportunities but I'm from Bristol so I would only be eligible if I participated in realising opportunities. Here's the link to the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/extended-medical-degree-programme-mbbs.aspx
Original post by Sayfi
For your 5th option you can apply to clinical sciences at bradford uni... this will give you a chance to strudy medicine if you do well. On the other hand you could apply for molecular medicine at leeds uni. This will allow you to jump into year 3 medidice after you have completed the 3 year degree.

I didn't know Leeds had that option. Its something I'll definitely look into. Thanks :smile:
Reply 48
It says either selective state schools in greater London or participants of realising opportunities but I'm from Bristol so I would only be eligible if I participated in realising opportunities. Here's the link to the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/extended-medical-degree-programme-mbbs.aspx

Ah okay, i didnt see that part, cheers.
biomed science and GEM for you if you wanna be studying until 30
Reply 50

The harsh reality is so many people apply with literally perfect grades. I had AABB at AS, and 8 A*s at GCSE, but unfortunately I didn't get in and I knew I was taking a gamble with my AS grades.

In fairness though, I got three interviews with ABBBB at AS, and 5A*s at GCSE. It really depends on applying to your strengths, and other aspects of the application
Original post by Ezme39
In fairness though, I got three interviews with ABBBB at AS, and 5A*s at GCSE. It really depends on applying to your strengths, and other aspects of the application

What uni's did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?
I really would try your look this year apply to your strengths as already said A lot of teachers put students down and unless they trawl through every med school requirments every year I really don't always think they are in a position to advise. My daughter had a terrible time with her chemistry teacher saying she was no good and refused to predict her an a ,but she's just about to start her 2nd year at med school and when the school found out she had gained a place no congratulations just dealing silence ,the best revenge is success.
Reply 53
The foundation year at Nottingham requires you to have biology and chemistry but I guess it depends on the uni. Doesn't Leeds require the BMAT? I feel this will be risky but what have I got to lose at this point :biggrin:. Do you think it would be wiser to take a gap year to see my A2 results first and then reapply? Thanks again for the advice :biggrin:

Honestly I think stick to triple A prediction! Much better to apply to more options, and gap year can definitely be taken too if you get rejected for your UKCAT! Leeds only weight the BMAT as 15% mine was awful but starting medicine in Leeds in a week😁 Don't give up, you will always get people giving you negative comments. Even if you don't get in this year work hard and secure the grades and redo your UKCAT next year and smash it being the main focus
Reply 54
What uni's did you apply to if you don't mind me asking?

HYMS (where I now study), Keele, Liverpool and Nottingham. Nottingham was the one which rejected me pre-interview :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by ashamraad
From where can you find cut-off values for unis?

I saw it on the entry requirements, but logically speaking it will be less than the usual 650 as there is a whole section missing! In my opinion anything more than 615 this year is good.
Reply 56
I didn't know Leeds had that option. Its something I'll definitely look into. Thanks :smile:

Yeah I did not know that too. I went to an open day and found that out its a new degree for 2017. Its best to do a bit more reasearch before applying. Good Luck!
Reply 57
Original post by neon_reaper
With only 3 sections the average cut off will if anything increase, not decrease. In the past years the DA average was always a bit below the overall average so it generally pulled scores down. Also with only 3 subsections instead of 4, its likely people will have spent more time revising each section (only 3 to revise instead of 4) so chances are the cutoffs will increase from the previous years

Having 4 sections usually increases the average especially as decision analysis was in my opinion one of the easier sections. I got that quote of the website so yh
Original post by Z1228
I saw it on the entry requirements, but logically speaking it will be less than the usual 650 as there is a whole section missing! In my opinion anything more than 615 this year is good.

What would you recommend the minimum UKCAT score being if you are looking to apply to Kings or Newcastle.
Reply 59
Original post by ashamraad
What would you recommend the minimum UKCAT score being if you are looking to apply to Kings or Newcastle.

Newcastle has been known to fluctuate recently. It was a 745 cut off a few years ago, and dropped to something like 640 because people were too scared to apply. It heavily weights the UKCAT, so I wouldn't suggest applying if you're below 680, and tbh it's still a big risk.
Kings would be a bit lower, but I'm not so sure on that one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending