The Student Room Group

Medicine - alevel choices help

I've currently just started sixth form and chose Biology, Chemistry and Maths for my alevels, as I wish to study Medicine at university. Ive also been put into the further Maths class as I got a B in Additional Maths. However I really disliked add maths last year and im worried i will struggle with further, and end up with a low grade. Should I take something else like History or French instead ( I will have to take this for two years because of the new alevel changes)? Or take an AS in philosophy and ethics ? Or should I just stick with further maths and hope for the best. (I will doing an AS in fm then dropping it in year 13) What would universities see as the better option? Thank you.
Reply 1
Well they would probably prefer further maths, however they would prefer an A in say history than a D in further maths . Also history / French would show a more rounded person than further maths so overall I'd say chose which one you think you'll get the best grade in . As you already have biology chemistry and maths I think you would be fine with any option 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Look up what individual universities say as I remember when I was thinking of applying for Medicine some unis said they'll accept only one of maths and further maths. Also do a subject that you actually enjoy as that will get you the highest marks. But definitely keep the maths, biology and chemistry.
Reply 3
Original post by vanyabarzilova
Look up what individual universities say as I remember when I was thinking of applying for Medicine some unis said they'll accept only one of maths and further maths. Also do a subject that you actually enjoy as that will get you the highest marks. But definitely keep the maths, biology and chemistry.

Would it be a bad idea to just take biology, chemistry and maths? That wouldnt really make my application stand out much though would it.
Reply 4
Original post by Hollyht
Well they would probably prefer further maths, however they would prefer an A in say history than a D in further maths . Also history / French would show a more rounded person than further maths so overall I'd say chose which one you think you'll get the best grade in . As you already have biology chemistry and maths I think you would be fine with any option 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really enjoyed History at GCSE and wanted to take it for alevel, but people I spoke to who took Biology and History said it was quite stressful and hard as both have a lot of context to learn and memorise. But I guess alevels are meant to be hard. Its just annoying I cant take History only to AS, otherwise I would have easily chosen it.
Original post by qwerty1928
Would it be a bad idea to just take biology, chemistry and maths? That wouldnt really make my application stand out much though would it.

Isn't it alright to do 3 a level subjects instead of doing a fourth subject at AS level since the new requirements for medical school (2017) say that only 3 a levels are needed
I've currently just started sixth form and chose Biology, Chemistry and Maths for my alevels, as I wish to study Medicine at university. Ive also been put into the further Maths class as I got a B in Additional Maths. However I really disliked add maths last year and im worried i will struggle with further, and end up with a low grade. Should I take something else like History or French instead ( I will have to take this for two years because of the new alevel changes)? Or take an AS in philosophy and ethics ? Or should I just stick with further maths and hope for the best. (I will doing an AS in fm then dropping it in year 13) What would universities see as the better option? Thank you.

Not all Medical Schools count Maths and Further Maths as separate subjects, so no need to take it as it could even limit your options.
Original post by jj.repinec
Isn't it alright to do 3 a level subjects instead of doing a fourth subject at AS level since the new requirements for medical school (2017) say that only 3 a levels are needed

Yes. Most medschools require 3 A levels anyway. Very rarely a 4th is wanted.
Reply 8
Original post by jj.repinec

Thats what i was thinking, but other applicants may be be taking 4 alevels even 5. I just thought, since im able to take a fourth subject, I should
Thats what i was thinking, but other applicants may be be taking 4 alevels even 5. I just thought, since im able to take a fourth subject, I should

The requirements are there for a reason, it's better to have 3 GREAT A level grades than 4-5 GOOD ones.

It doesn't matter if people are doing more. It won't disadvantage you in any way.

I think it's better to focus on three subjects for two years instead of doing a fourth subject and dropping it at AS level. It's better to have better grades in your three grades instead of stressing yourself out with a fourth subject and possibly not doing as good if you did three
Reply 12
I really enjoyed History at GCSE and wanted to take it for alevel, but people I spoke to who took Biology and History said it was quite stressful and hard as both have a lot of context to learn and memorise. But I guess alevels are meant to be hard. Its just annoying I cant take History only to AS, otherwise I would have easily chosen it.

Take history, personally I took psychology with chemistry, biology and maths and I got very good AS results. It just depends on if you're gonna put in the hours for revision :smile: but it's doable don't worry :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending