The Student Room Group

A Few Questions...

I have a few questions about Physics.

1. With a Physics degree, will I have the same prospects as somebody with a Maths degree, and then some? Since it's mathematical and also a science I figured it would have the edge in that i'd be able to apply to scientific fields whereas a Maths graduate couldn't.

2. Are jobs in finance/accountancy readily available? I ask in case I can't get a job within Physics.

3. If I have AS grades of ABBB (all B's 1/2 UMS away from an A), and predicted grades of A*AA/A*A*A, will I be in with a chance of an offer at Imperial, Warwick, Durham, UCL?

4. If I decided to switch to Maths at the start of the course, or at the end of first year, would I be able to do so at any universities?

If you can answer any/all of these questions I will appreciate it very much.
Also as a follow on question...

What is the difference between the content of an MPhys and an MSci physics course? I've compared the two in terms of module choices but they seemed fairly similar.
Original post by W. A. Mozart

1. With a Physics degree, will I have the same prospects as somebody with a Maths degree, and then some? Since it's mathematical and also a science I figured it would have the edge in that i'd be able to apply to scientific fields whereas a Maths graduate couldn't.

2. Are jobs in finance/accountancy readily available? I ask in case I can't get a job within Physics.

3. If I have AS grades of ABBB (all B's 1/2 UMS away from an A), and predicted grades of A*AA/A*A*A, will I be in with a chance of an offer at Imperial, Warwick, Durham, UCL?

4. If I decided to switch to Maths at the start of the course, or at the end of first year, would I be able to do so at any universities?

Also as a follow on question...

What is the difference between the content of an MPhys and an MSci physics course? I've compared the two in terms of module choices but they seemed fairly similar.

1. You can apply to mostly the same jobs as someone with a maths degree but there are exceptions that only people with a maths degree can apply for and not a physics degree

2. There are quite a few jobs in finance but they are still hard to get (dependent on your experience, ie internships, participation in relevant societies etc)

3. No idea

4. this will completely depend on the universities policy but normally within the first 2-3 weeks you can change subject if you have the right grades and there is spaces on the course you want to change to but it is highly unlikely you could change to maths (without restarting back in first year) as the courses are too different

There isnt any difference between a mphys and msci, they both are undergraduate masters
Original post by madmadmax321
1. You can apply to mostly the same jobs as someone with a maths degree but there are exceptions that only people with a maths degree can apply for and not a physics degree

2. There are quite a few jobs in finance but they are still hard to get (dependent on your experience, ie internships, participation in relevant societies etc)

3. No idea

4. this will completely depend on the universities policy but normally within the first 2-3 weeks you can change subject if you have the right grades and there is spaces on the course you want to change to but it is highly unlikely you could change to maths (without restarting back in first year) as the courses are too different

There isnt any difference between a mphys and msci, they both are undergraduate masters

Thank you very much!

Do you happen to have any idea of what kind of jobs are closed up? I just hope it's not anything that I would want to go into.
Thank you very much!

Do you happen to have any idea of what kind of jobs are closed up? I just hope it's not anything that I would want to go into.

Things like being a statistician, some areas of maths research and then other careers may sometimes accept physics as a relevant subject but not all companies that offer that career do (quantitative finance researchers/developers come to mind in this case).

You should just do your research into what you would like to do career wise and see what a few companies in that area ask for, what they ask for is unlikely to change drastically over the years

1. In most of business you won't have an advantage but neither will Maths grads. The more important Maths is in the job the more Maths grads would have an edge, as you might expect. Physics is clearly more of a gateway into physics careers, but Maths graduates will go into Physics PhDs as well, especially theoretical physics.

2. Readily available but hard to get into.

3. Durham and Imperial at the least target quite high UMS scores, so I think it's unlikely. Always worth having a go at at least one though.

4. Durham might let you switch at the end of the first year as long as you do Linear Algebra, Calculus and Analysis, but it's sort of not official policy . . .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending