The Student Room Group

I don't understand how people do well on the UKCAT

I have been studying for 2 weeks now and God help me i keep failing the QR and AR sections, i have been practising with the 1000qs book but the ukcat practice tests are much harder.
I feel like I'm going to get 300 in AR and QR please help :frown:
My exam is in 3 weeks :frown:
Reply 1
Try watching some videos on the sections you are struggling with on youtube. I was struggling a lot with AR when I first started practising and found some decent advice on youtube for tackling that section. If you are struggling with your maths in QR then I really recommend going through the GCSE Bitesize stuff as a refresher.

As difficult as it sounds try not to stress too much over the exam as it only causes extra distraction, you can only do your best and if it isn't enough this year there will be further opportunities in the future! Focus on practising and improving and not speculating. My exam is 3 weeks away too, relax it is plenty of time to continue to improve.

How much practise are you doing per day? Are you using medify (most I speak to swear by it and I love it!)?
Reply 2
Original post by Marathi
Try watching some videos on the sections you are struggling with on youtube. I was struggling a lot with AR when I first started practising and found some decent advice on youtube for tackling that section. If you are struggling with your maths in QR then I really recommend going through the GCSE Bitesize stuff as a refresher.

As difficult as it sounds try not to stress too much over the exam as it only causes extra distraction, you can only do your best and if it isn't enough this year there will be further opportunities in the future! Focus on practising and improving and not speculating. My exam is 3 weeks away too, relax it is plenty of time to continue to improve.

How much practise are you doing per day? Are you using medify (most I speak to swear by it and I love it!)?

Hello, I am doing like maybe 2 hours minimum but i tend to do bulk studying so i study like 8-10 hours on weekends.
Also i am going to get medify when i have 2 weeks left so i wont hit my peak too early, thank you for replying, btw do you think the ukcat official practices are harder or similar to the actual exam?
Reply 3
Firstly, as a response to your original post, is the main problem that you have inaccuracy or timing for AR and QR? If accuracy in the problem, then I would suggest marking your practice questions ridiculously thoroughly, so that you pick up on any underlying problems with AR and QR. Also, it takes time to get used to the format of the questions properly, so be patient. Timing-wise, use Medify. It really helped to get my timings down for answers, as I had a problem initially with taking too long on QR.
Also, I would advise you not to 'cram' UKCAT practice on the weekends, but spread out the study more evenly so that you don't lose ability from week to week. Two or three days before the exam, I would suggest tapering off your practice, just so that you aren't absolutely sick of UKCAT questions on the day and you are nice and fresh.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions as I have recently gotten my UKCAT out of the way, so it's fresh in my mind.
Reply 4
Original post by HMarles
Firstly, as a response to your original post, is the main problem that you have inaccuracy or timing for AR and QR? If accuracy in the problem, then I would suggest marking your practice questions ridiculously thoroughly, so that you pick up on any underlying problems with AR and QR. Also, it takes time to get used to the format of the questions properly, so be patient. Timing-wise, use Medify. It really helped to get my timings down for answers, as I had a problem initially with taking too long on QR.
Also, I would advise you not to 'cram' UKCAT practice on the weekends, but spread out the study more evenly so that you don't lose ability from week to week. Two or three days before the exam, I would suggest tapering off your practice, just so that you aren't absolutely sick of UKCAT questions on the day and you are nice and fresh.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions as I have recently gotten my UKCAT out of the way, so it's fresh in my mind.

I am having problems with answering the question right, also the questions and graphs for QR intimidates me, i am super scared i can do the ones in the ISC 1000Qs but not the UKCAT practice tests.
Reply 5
Firstly, you sound very stressed for someone whose UKCAT is a few weeks away, chill out :smile: Try taking your time doing each and every question correctly for QR, then work on building up speed over the next 2 weeks. Tbh, I thought the questions I got for QR on the real thing were waaay easier than the mocks, so don't worry too much. If you do enough practice and are patient with yourself you'll be absolutely fine!

For analysing the graphs, pick out the key bits of data that you are likely to be asked about such as what different colours represent or percentage changes etc. One quick tip, get used to the number pad on your computer, it helps speed you up in the exam.
Reply 6
Original post by HMarles
Firstly, you sound very stressed for someone whose UKCAT is a few weeks away, chill out :smile: Try taking your time doing each and every question correctly for QR, then work on building up speed over the next 2 weeks. Tbh, I thought the questions I got for QR on the real thing were waaay easier than the mocks, so don't worry too much. If you do enough practice and are patient with yourself you'll be absolutely fine!

For analysing the graphs, pick out the key bits of data that you are likely to be asked about such as what different colours represent or percentage changes etc. One quick tip, get used to the number pad on your computer, it helps speed you up in the exam.

Thank you so much, i think the idea of maths just puts me off, i mean i studied it at AS and got a B but for some reason im still scared, thank you for your advice i will definitely try your tips thankss!
Reply 7
Original post by Light Venom
i went into the exam last year blind folded with no revision. i got band one :smile:

How??? Well done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending