The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Failing a resit of a core module

So I had to resit some required core modules for BSc MORSE.

I'll pass all of them but may fail one: Mathematical Programming 1.
Since it is a 'required core module', I think you need to withdraw from the course if you fail a resit.

The thing is I had like 12 modules in year 1 and this module is only 12 CATS and not that important (leads to one module in the future).
I also have mitigating circumstances and my resits will be classified as 'first attempt'.

So my question is to a student who failed a resit for a required core module, could they allow you to proceed to second year? Anyone got experience with this?

Thanks
Reply 1
Bump.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Kevkev1
So I had to resit some required core modules for BSc MORSE.

I'll pass all of them but may fail one: Mathematical Programming 1.
Since it is a 'required core module', I think you need to withdraw from the course if you fail a resit.

The thing is I had like 12 modules in year 1 and this module is only 12 CATS and not that important (leads to one module in the future).
I also have mitigating circumstances and my resits will be classified as 'first attempt'.

So my question is to a student who failed a resit for a required core module, could they allow you to proceed to second year? Anyone got experience with this?

Thanks

Kev, I've seen students in similar situations and it's not good news.

Unless you also have mitigating circumstance for your resits I'm afraid it is department policy to require you to withdraw if you fail a core module.
Have you got your results back?
Reply 4
Original post by CherishFreedom
Have you got your results back?

It makes sense that you need to withdraw since it is university regulation.

However what I wonder about is: considering that I have mitigating circumstances and that I almost passed the module the first time I sat it in the summer (but failed the resit), could the board of examiners consider it as an individual case and potentially let me proceed to year 2 because of the mitigating circumstances and as well since I was very close to passing it anyway?

I didn't get my results back yet
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kevkev1
It makes sense that you need to withdraw since it is university regulation.

However what I wonder about is: considering that I have mitigating circumstances and that I almost passed the module the first time I sat it in the summer (but failed the resit), could the board of examiners consider it as an individual case and potentially let me proceed to year 2 because of the mitigating circumstances and as well since I was very close to passing it anyway?

The thing is, there is an official procedure and there is no way round it.

If you have a mitigating circumstance on your resit exam, and you didn't or weren't able to raise to to the department's attention, for good reason - then you will have be eligible to appeal to the Board of Examiners for reconsideration.

If, however, you did raise it with your department before hand, their final decision would have considered the mitigating circumstance. If this was the case, this would mean you are not eligible to appeal. There is also no provision for condoned pass, so it is not within the Board's power to issue it.

The process is very bureaucratic. If you want to convince the board to reconsider your place under exceptional grounds, you must find a way to get past the appeal screening stage (by being eligible to appeal), otherwise your appeal will not reach the Board's end.

However, I am unfamiliar with the procedure concerning failing a resit as a first attempt. There could be a small chance that the University may allow you another resit as a final attempt. This is a very specific situation so I would assume that the University's regulation probably would not have specified that. It is best if you ask your student union or your senior tutor on the department's conventions.

I hope this helps.
Reply 6

If you have a mitigating circumstance on your resit exam, and you didn't or weren't able to raise to to the department's attention, for good reason - then you will have be eligible to appeal to the Board of Examiners for reconsideration.

If, however, you did raise it with your department before hand, their final decision would have considered the mitigating circumstance. If this was the case, this would mean you are not eligible to appeal. There is also no provision for condoned pass, so it is not within the Board's power to issue it.

The process is very bureaucratic. If you want to convince the board to reconsider your place under exceptional grounds, you must find a way to get past the appeal screening stage (by being eligible to appeal), otherwise your appeal will not reach the Board's end.

However, I am unfamiliar with the procedure concerning failing a resit as a first attempt. There could be a small chance that the University may allow you another resit as a final attempt. This is a very specific situation so I would assume that the University's regulation probably would not have specified that. It is best if you ask your student union or your senior tutor on the department's conventions.

I hope this helps.

Makes sense.

I reported the mitigating circumstanes after the summer exams so they haven't been considered yet, they will be soon for the September's resits board of examiners.

I know that every department has a pre-board meeting and they make a recommendation to the main board of examiners, so I hope the department has some say whether to let me proceed to year 2 by considering my mitigating circumstances and a close fail in a module...
Reply 7

I hope this helps.

So it seems they will decide 'resit without residence' as I failed a resit of one core module by 5% (got 35).
I may be able to present mitigating circumstances for the resits since I was actually ill during the period.

The thing is I know better than 35% for that module and would like to convince them that.
Do you think the department has some discretion for deciding whether to let me proceed to year 2 and perhaps require me to resit that module alongside year 2 modules?

I'll talk to them tmrw and if necessary appeal on the grounds of being impaired during that exam due to unforeseen circumstances.
Since its close to a pass perhaps they could consider an aegrotat pass...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest