The Student Room Group

Life...

Deep questions i know, but hey ho...
Whats the point in life??
Why do i and many others feel no belonging anywhere??
Why are we living?

Anyone got any answers or theories about these questions ??
There's not really much point in life but you can choose to make life your own; make a difference, help those that need help. I had been deeply depressed from age 9-16 (literally!) and I've tried committing suicide several times until this summer when I went on an NCS (National citizen service) course and we helped the homeless that I realised these people literally have next to nothing, they've been through tonnes of rough patches yet they still haven't given up so it's up to you what you decide to make with your life...
Reply 2
If you feel this way i urge u to travel and get out there in the world!! you will completely see a new perspective in life, just take a few weeks or a month off if you can
Original post by Bluebutterfly310
Why are we living?

First of all, I have to congratulate you for asking this question - it shows (speaking from experience) that you're finally coming to senses with reality. You're feelings may be jumbled up - but that can be a good thing because it will allow you to sort them out.

The point in life, well someone once said it's "what you make it out to be" and others agree that "it's all about having fun". I think a lot of people think they belong nowhere because they lack a sense of purpose, a sense that someone or something needs or wants them. And I and so many others have asked this same question "Why are we living"? I asked this when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to be in life. I still haven't reached an answer and I am happy I haven't. If however you already know, that's great! But for me, I don't want to be forced into an abrupt career path. And if you are suffering from a terminal illness, it's okay. It's not the end - always have hope.

Sometimes it's enough to simply have fun and enjoy the present time. It's also okay to not "belong to anywhere" because you can experience wondrous freedom!

Life is a lot about the moments in your years, not your years in your life. It's those moments when you have fun, or maybe you might find romance, maybe you enjoy playing games, maybe you enjoy talking about things with your family/friends/acquaintances, maybe you enjoy watching Anime...the list is something which looks like a long scroll reaching into the skies - each time you do something new, there's a faint scribble above which is an experience waiting to be discovered.

"Motivational videos" may provide some insight into others' life and the struggles they battle every day. On the other hand, sometimes you just accept what you have, and be nicer to your friends and family and community. I mean, compared to how long we'll be dead, this short life is full of meaningful things. In fact, you have to make sure it is.

Oh and one last thing, there's plenty of other opinions and religious interpretations, so feel free to look at them too :smile:

Contemplate these feelings... Challenge them? Conquer them!
What is the meaning of life? Well, maybe there is no point. But then again, there is a tonne of wonderful and amazing stuff to see and experience all around. You say you don't understand why you are striving for success, but maybe the journey is more important than the goal? It is easy to sit around moping out the pointlessness of it all, but if you go out, open your eyes, experience everything, try everything, do everything, then actually life is very much worth living.

I have just gone back to university having plodded through 16 years in a career I didn't enjoy. But the last 16 years weren't pointless. They were all part of the journey that has bought me to make one of the best decisions of my life!

If you want a glimpse of what it is to be free from a climbers perspective, have a watch of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW1cTQqlLwI

It makes for interesting watching even if climbing isn't your thing.

Good luck!
Original post by thaliawaters
If you feel this way i urge u to travel and get out there in the world!! you will completely see a new perspective in life, just take a few weeks or a month off if you can

tell that to the people who can't afford it :colonhash:
literally, some people may only have the 5-10 mile radius around them but then get bored of having to walk all the way and back
Why are we living?

There is no point, no reason. Why can people not accept this ?
Why are we living?

The odds against you being alive are trillions to one.You should enjoy it while you can.Richard dawkins puts it well he says that we are the lucky ones because we',re going to die.Most people are not going to die because they are never going to be born.For every person alive a million other people could have been,simply because the genetic variety is so high.The fact that life ends actually
makes it more valuable and meaningful if it didnt end it would have no value.The less you have of something the more valuable it is.
Why are we living?

Life has no predefined meaning. It is up to us to define the meaning.

Spoiler

Reply 10
How can i travel when i barely have money though?

Make it a goal to save up, took me 2 years but it was so worth it, it may seem expensive but once the flight is out the way you can be spending under £30 a day including accommodation & food, especially in South East Asia. Just ensure you get away regularly its very important for your mindset
Reply 11
I might make it my second goal off saving for something, due to my first goal is to save to move out.

I wish you all the best! :smile:
I find all these clichés of 'what you make it' and 'it will turn out all right in the end' quite drab and platitudinous. I don't think many of those run-of-the-mill lines have any lasting effect. With religion, it's pretty easy to answer those questions, and if you were brought up with that religion, it's pretty easy to stay convinced. But I'm guessing you're not religious so you'll just have to answer them with scientific knowledge. Take an interest in how we arrived here today. Learn about the consciousness. From that evidence-based perspective, you can see how the once purposeful point - to survive - is no longer valid in many modern societies.

I also doubt that this trend of travelling is going to open up your eyes and change your life for the better. Where does it matter where your feet land, if your mind is whirling through the same perspective and mantras? A lot of these travellers go to not-so developed countries, ride the wave of enlightenment, and then go back to their western civilisation being completely oblivious to the plights that surrounded their five-star hotel. Anyway, I'm digressing.
Reply 13
Life is pretty amazing when you think what we can do.
Amazing enough to make you think it didn't arise by a random process of mutation over eons?
And Sometimes I don't understand why we live life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending