The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Year 10 is not going to be hard provided you put the effort in and stay on the top of things. Just revise for mock exams and complete all coursework to the best of your ability and don't start revising too early as you will burn yourself out by the time exam season comes. Don't stress about GCSE's to0 early and enjoy yourself as later on you won't get this opportunity.
Original post by Sardonic Zarah
I guess I should start off 😂. I'm Zarah, about to go into year 10 (obvs). I'm interested in a lot French based cultures around the world, the British law system, Hollyoaks and Eastenders 😂. I play the piano, I run a meme page on Instagram (@thezeemiester) and play rugby. I love watching documentaries (don't hate) and I'm into grime music.

I'm taking 4 GCSEs in year 10 (unreformed), they are:
- History (edexcel) predicted A
- Geography ( WJEC) predicted A*
- RE (WJEC) predicted A*
- French (AQA) predicted A*

I'm feeling quite confident about the last 3 but the departure of my French teacher has sort of wavered my confidence. History is the one subject I'm slightly worried about as it's not something I really understand.

In year 11, I'm taking:

- Maths (edexcel)
- Triple Science (AQA)
- English lit and lang (edexcel)
- Computer Science (not sure of the board, it's a one year course)

Maths and Science are the two subjects I loathe the most. Somehow, I'm in top set science and maths. I must admit that Maths is a strong subject for me but I struggle to care for it. I see science as a bit of a weird subject and struggle to understand the theories and principles. English is honestly a beautiful subject and I really wish other people viewed it in the same way as I do. It would make my class a lot more intellectually stimulating.

I'm quite confident about the exams I'm sitting in Year 10 but I feel I need to take everything a lot more seriously.

My favourite subject, as you may have gathered, is English. French is another favourite due to my interest in francophone countries. Geography has always been a passion of mine because of how much it applies to my environment and society.

In the future, I'd love to be a Barrister working for the CPS.

I really hope this thread takes off 😭😂

HI! I'm Alex and have just started year 10 (the homework load is already killing me!)

For GCSE I am taking:
English lit
English lang
Geography
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Maths
Maths numeracy
Welsh
Welsh baccalaureate
Spanish
(all with WJEC)

I enjoy school nd actually really want to start my GCSEs but my anxiety will get the better of me when they start. but I'm guessing everyone else here feels the same. I come from an academic family so I am hoping and am going to be
working really hard to try and achieve A/A* in everything! my options were really
easy to choose (we only get three in wales my school) because Geography and
Spanish are THE BEST SUBJECTS EVER and I want to go into medicine so triple science was my third choice!
oh and my first exam is the 4th of January- English lit. the book I am doing is To kill a mocking bird so It could be worse! I hate English and am terrible at it, but I have an amazing teacher who inspires me so much! anyway my predicted grade for that is an A* but I believe that I shallget an A or a B.

Hope everyone enjoys going into year 10!
Original post by HN786
Hi I just wanted to ask how hard was year 10 and my plan was to download exam specifications for all subjects I'm taking and just so an hour everyday of something to embed it in my head. I'm in set 1 for everything and the only subject I'm worried about is triple science I guess cause it's 9 lessons a week but I got the highest in the year last year in science because I'm good at remembering things not sure how much I enjoy it but I'm good at it any tips?

second post in like 10 minutes but this caught my attention. I have a question for you (and anyone really). Background info- I am in set one for every subject that is set and have been from year seven. I have been a mat student (more able and talented) since Ks2.
I've never really had any problems from this but the past couple of years I've been getting a lot of comments coming from my friends that I'm too clever. for example in year 9 we had maths tests every half term. when results were given out my friend (who is in set three) would come out beaming and would ask me what I got. I usually got an 8A on these tests which I was really proud of. but if I even mention that I was happy about my test result it starts an argument. whereas she can go around bragging that she got a level six (which is still good). I understand that she may feel insecure or jealous (again I don't really know what to say because I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings) I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice in what to say to her/them especially since we are now going to start our GCSEs.

I am not a bragger in anyway or show off about results that i may get. I would just quite like it if somebody could give some advice, or maybe an insight into how she may be feeling?
I just think its unfair that she is allowed to be proud and tell all our friends what she got but I cant just because I got higher.

lol, sorry for the ramble!
Original post by Alexemmamay3101
second post in like 10 minutes but this caught my attention. I have a question for you (and anyone really). Background info- I am in set one for every subject that is set and have been from year seven. I have been a mat student (more able and talented) since Ks2.
I've never really had any problems from this but the past couple of years I've been getting a lot of comments coming from my friends that I'm too clever. for example in year 9 we had maths tests every half term. when results were given out my friend (who is in set three) would come out beaming and would ask me what I got. I usually got an 8A on these tests which I was really proud of. but if I even mention that I was happy about my test result it starts an argument. whereas she can go around bragging that she got a level six (which is still good). I understand that she may feel insecure or jealous (again I don't really know what to say because I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings) I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice in what to say to her/them especially since we are now going to start our GCSEs.

I am not a bragger in anyway or show off about results that i may get. I would just quite like it if somebody could give some advice, or maybe an insight into how she may be feeling?
I just think its unfair that she is allowed to be proud and tell all our friends what she got but I cant just because I got higher.

Honestly, ignore them, you're allowed to be proud of your score after all you worked for it. If they have such an issue with it, ask them. It's usually just jealousy
HI! I'm Alex and have just started year 10 (the homework load is already killing me!)

For GCSE I am taking:
English lit
English lang
Geography
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Maths
Maths numeracy
Welsh
Welsh baccalaureate
Spanish
(all with WJEC)

I enjoy school nd actually really want to start my GCSEs but my anxiety will get the better of me when they start. but I'm guessing everyone else here feels the same. I come from an academic family so I am hoping and am going to be
working really hard to try and achieve A/A* in everything! my options were really
Spanish are THE BEST SUBJECTS EVER and I want to go into medicine so triple science was my third choice!
oh and my first exam is the 4th of January- English lit. the book I am doing is To kill a mocking bird so It could be worse! I hate English and am terrible at it, but I have an amazing teacher who inspires me so much! anyway my predicted grade for that is an A* but I believe that I shallget an A or a B.

Are you doing the reformed wjec geog course, how is it?
Since we are the second to do the new GCSE Maths and English and the first to do the new GCSE Science exams in 2018 😝(I know you're excited), we should probably get together and share our experiences. Some of us will find it hard and having a thread will help to get through the year.

Things you could say:

- Introduce yourself! :smile:

- What are your hobbies and interests?

- How many GCSEs are you doing?

- What subjects are you taking (include your exam board to find others studying the same things as you)?

- Do you think you're ready for the new GCSEs?

- What's your favourite subject(s)?

- What is your dream career or dream uni?

- How do you feel about going into Year 10?

- Also, feel free to share any revision skills and resources you have

Changes made to GCSE's for current Year 10s (2016-2017), if you want to see A-Levels please scroll down. All of this information is from the government site.

September 2015:

Students currently will start learning new GCSEs, graded 9 - 1, in:

- English language

- English literature

- Maths

Summer 2016:

Students currently will start learning new GCSEs, grades 9-1, in:

- Art and Design
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Citizenship
- Food Tech
- Dance
- Drama
- French
- Geography
- German
- History
- Music
- PE
- Physics
- Religious Education
- Science (double award)
- Spanish

If you want to see changes made to A-Levels for current Year 10's (2016-2017), visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/timeline-of-changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels/changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels-that-will-affect-each-current-school-year-group#year-10

Resources:http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGqabAVv0SRD_SjtodhQPTQ

http://www.my-gcsescience.com/

https://www.mathswatchvle.com/

http://getrevising.co.uk/

https://keshgcsemaths.wordpress.com/gcse-maths-takeaway/

http://www.aqa.org.uk/

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/home.html

http://www.ocr.org.uk/http://www.thepolesworthschool.com/departments/science/sciencerevY10.html

Tips!

-Be organised and consistent with studying, get into a repetitive routine
-Ensure your notes are clear to make reviewing easier
- Listen to some music that may enhance your learning
- Read notes at night as it is easier to remember things then
- Research outside of lessons
-Use educational websites and watch videos
- Find your learning style, auditory, visual or kinaesthetic
- Don't just copy from a textbook, read, understand and write it in your own words
- If you're stuck, ask your friends, teachers and family for advice

Thanks everyone! :biggrin: - Zarah

Credit to MrMackyTv for the original post on last years thread

New THREAD http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4310758&p=67505328#post67505328

Just popping on from the year 11 thread :smile:
I'm actually in your position more than your friend's but I'll try to give you some incite into how I deal with it.
Firstly, my best friend has actually moved away so most of it is by text so it's not a direct comparison on exact tests. (I'll get to what I do at school in a minute) Normally for her I send back a Well done :smile: Then I make some comment about how the exams in Wales are meant to be much harder (even if they're not) to make her feel good about herself. I know she really struggles with self esteem and works really hard for her grades so even if they are lower than mine, I want her to feel proud of herself. I also generally say how shocked I am to get such a good grade because it makes her feel more level with me academically.
Now at school obviously you don't have time to think about what you want to say particularly or reword what you originally wanted to say so the technique is different. All my friends who want to tell me their result are also generally in my set so the difference is less so this may not work for you. Basically, I won't tell anyone my result who doesn't ask so I don't seem like I'm bragging. When people tell me their result I say really genuinely Well Done! then I'll say something like either Wasn't question x hard? Or If I hadn't revised x I'd have got question x wrong lol. Then we'll move on. Most people don't like to dwell on results so after that day they probably won't be mentioned again. I don't generally say I'm really happy with my result because then it is presented as a fact. I got x is easier to take than I'm sooo pleased I got x as then the person doesn't feel bad about their result and being pleased at that. If you say that you're happy, it's almost like saying you shouldn't be happy you got that because I got higher, you should only be satisfied by this. (though obviously this isn't how you mean it).
I would say prepare some phrases such as:
I got x. Wasn't x question difficult?
I got x. Lucky I revised y
etc. It doesn't matter if it's not true, a little white lie, if it helps your friend feel better, is a good thing to learn to do.
Hope this helps, I would add more detail but I'm leaving for a sleepover in 5 minutes and I haven't packed yet!
Original post by Lemur14
Just popping on from the year 11 thread :smile:
I'm actually in your position more than your friend's but I'll try to give you some incite into how I deal with it.
Firstly, my best friend has actually moved away so most of it is by text so it's not a direct comparison on exact tests. (I'll get to what I do at school in a minute) Normally for her I send back a Well done :smile: Then I make some comment about how the exams in Wales are meant to be much harder (even if they're not) to make her feel good about herself. I know she really struggles with self esteem and works really hard for her grades so even if they are lower than mine, I want her to feel proud of herself. I also generally say how shocked I am to get such a good grade because it makes her feel more level with me academically.
Now at school obviously you don't have time to think about what you want to say particularly or reword what you originally wanted to say so the technique is different. All my friends who want to tell me their result are also generally in my set so the difference is less so this may not work for you. Basically, I won't tell anyone my result who doesn't ask so I don't seem like I'm bragging. When people tell me their result I say really genuinely Well Done! then I'll say something like either Wasn't question x hard? Or If I hadn't revised x I'd have got question x wrong lol. Then we'll move on. Most people don't like to dwell on results so after that day they probably won't be mentioned again. I don't generally say I'm really happy with my result because then it is presented as a fact. I got x is easier to take than I'm sooo pleased I got x as then the person doesn't feel bad about their result and being pleased at that. If you say that you're happy, it's almost like saying you shouldn't be happy you got that because I got higher, you should only be satisfied by this. (though obviously this isn't how you mean it).
I would say prepare some phrases such as:
I got x. Wasn't x question difficult?
I got x. Lucky I revised y
etc. It doesn't matter if it's not true, a little white lie, if it helps your friend feel better, is a good thing to learn to do.
Hope this helps, I would add more detail but I'm leaving for a sleepover in 5 minutes and I haven't packed yet!

Haha thank you so much! these are some good ideas.
thank you for replying I'm new to this website so don't really know how this works! will definetly try this in the future! And wow! I cant imagine having my best friend live away from me! we face time straight after school for about three hours every night anyway!
Reply 29
I'm Owen, current Year 10 Student. I'm interested in the military, I am a cadet in the Army Cadet Force and I wish to join the military later in life as either a Medical Officer (if I can get the grades) or a Pilot in the Royal Air Force.

I've taken Triple Science, Geography, Spanish and Media Studies as my GCSEs as well as the compulsory English, Maths, Science, RE etc.

I am in top set for all subjects, I most enjoy Triple Science Geography and Spanish. I absolutely hate English it seems utterly pointless to me (literature at least, not the language. I've got no interest at all)

That's pretty much all I've got.
Are you doing the reformed wjec geog course, how is it?

I'm not sure if I'm doing the reformed course or not. my schools really bad at given information.
So far its great. obviously I'm only about a months worth of lessons in so I cant give you a proper judgement but its great! we had a quick look at the spec the other day and it seems do able to say the least! haha! I haven't got my predicted grade yet but I am hoping to get an A*.

Am I right in saying that you are also taking geography? what exam board are you on?
(edited 7 years ago)

For GCSE I am taking:
English lit
English lang
Geography
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Maths
Maths numeracy
Welsh
Welsh baccalaureate
Spanish
(all with WJEC)

hiya alex. I'm new here. hi again. lolz. hiya. um. ok now. um. byeeeeeeee xoxo gossipgirl
Hey, I'm Reece (I'm a girl aha) and I'm 14.

For GCSEs, I am doing;

Maths - Edexcel
English Lit - Not sure
English Lang - Not sure
Triple science - I think AQA?
Half R.S - Not sure
Latin - WJEC
Computer Science - Not sure
Spanish - AQA

I've been a bit confused about the GCSE changes, however I think I've finally got my head around them. I understand that they're to aid the differentiation between normal high achievers and super-high achievers, but I still think the numbering system is slightly complicated.

I'm a fan of History and Latin. :smile:

I understand that she may be jealous/upset that she didn't get the same grades as you, but that doesn't give her the right to start an argument with you over it.
I think the best thing would be to not say much about your results around her, but if others ask about your results you should tell them. :smile:
I will always bunk PE, now and forever 😂

Once you get to year ten in our school the PE teachers just give up on you. Like we just sit on the field and talk the whole lesson!

Posted from TSR Mobile

stand up to ur bullies! aka megan, (not me!) u say what you wanna say xoxo, I would wanna listen to ur grades.
I'm not sure if I'm doing the reformed course or not. my schools really bad at given information.
So far its great. obviously I'm only about a months worth of lessons in so I cant give you a proper judgement but its great! we had a quick look at the spec the other day and it seems do able to say the least! haha! I haven't got my predicted grade yet but I am hoping to get an A*.

Am I right in saying that you are also taking geography? what exam board are you on?

Wjec but I'm sitting exams this year
Once you get to year ten in our school the PE teachers just give up on you. Like we just sit on the field and talk the whole lesson!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have a recreational group, ie. The group that just sit around and use our phones 😂
Wjec but I'm sitting exams this year

Ah okay! I'm sitting a few exams this year (English, science, etc.) but Geography is not one of them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay! I'm sitting a few exams this year (English, science, etc.) but Geography is not one of them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, sitting core subjects seems so overwhelming, props to you 👏🏾
Haha thank you so much! these are some good ideas.
thank you for replying I'm new to this website so don't really know how this works! will definetly try this in the future! And wow! I cant imagine having my best friend live away from me! we face time straight after school for about three hours every night anyway!

No worries :smile: lol at facetiming your best friend for 3 hours a day! We sometimes go months without even texting lol
Glad the advise was helpful :smile:

Latest