The Student Room Group

My Journey To Great AS Levels 2016/2017

Helloooo!

I started sixth form on wednesday and I was planning on making a AS Journey thread months ago after I saw a couple of really good motivational GCSE threads!

I'm taking 3 AS Levels so far and I plan to carry them on to A2 as well. The subjects I'm taking are:

Maths, Physics and Sociology!

I achieved both A's in maths and physics but didn't take sociology as GCSE. I want to get the best grades I can achieve! I don't really like setting myself high targets however I would love to get anything above a B in all three subjects haha, starting from today I'll be updating you guys on all my self study and school study! I hope this thread will be somewhat motivational to you guys!!!

Scroll to see replies

Good luck to you. :smile: are you doing maths Stats or Mechanics?
Reply 2
Original post by jazz_xox_
Good luck to you. :smile: are you doing maths Stats or Mechanics?

thank you! im planning on doing mechanics but as i still havent had my maths lesson yet i still need to get ideas from other people to see if i should also do statistics as well!
Reply 3
UPDATE: 10/09/2016

x I completed both chapter one and two for C1 today! chapter one was very easy so I just breezed past it and managed to finish chapter 2!

x this morning I finished my physics homework! im so glad thats outta the way now haha

Tomorrow hopefully i can go through chapter 3 of C1 and maybe ask my brother if I'm stuck or anything and look at the specification for sociology!
Reply 4
njkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by melisss22
thank you! im planning on doing mechanics but as i still havent had my maths lesson yet i still need to get ideas from other people to see if i should also do statistics as well!

ah right, that would go best with physics :smile: i'm doing stats !
Reply 6
ah right, that would go best with physics :smile: i'm doing stats !

are you also doing your AS levels? also have fun!
Yes I am: biology, chemistry and maths! Thank you :smile: I'm a bit worried about just doing 3 subjects, have you been told anything about this? I know many unis don't require 4 anymore, but I worry in case it would disadvantage me?
are you also doing your AS levels? also have fun!
Reply 8
Yes I am: biology, chemistry and maths! Thank you :smile: I'm a bit worried about just doing 3 subjects, have you been told anything about this? I know many unis don't require 4 anymore, but I worry in case it would disadvantage me?

honestly i have no idea!

im also doing 3 AS subjects and im thinking of taking bio AS soon since i have got an A in that but :/ i think it shouldnt affect you too much especially if you get really good grades for your A Levels, maybe speak to your head of sixth form if you have one? they could help you loads!
honestly i have no idea!

im also doing 3 AS subjects and im thinking of taking bio AS soon since i have got an A in that but :/ i think it shouldnt affect you too much especially if you get really good grades for your A Levels, maybe speak to your head of sixth form if you have one? they could help you loads!

Yes I hope it doesn't affect me, I really think I will get better grades in the 3 subjects, rather than having a 4th that I will not be that interested in. I've spoken to my head of sixth form and she says I can still do 3, but she doesn't want to tell me too much in case it limits my options. Have you thought about any potential unis or courses?
Reply 10
Yes I hope it doesn't affect me, I really think I will get better grades in the 3 subjects, rather than having a 4th that I will not be that interested in. I've spoken to my head of sixth form and she says I can still do 3, but she doesn't want to tell me too much in case it limits my options. Have you thought about any potential unis or courses?

i havent currently thought about any unis but i might just go to the uni my brother went to years ago, but course wise i have no clue! hopefully if i dont get sick of physics i might choose a course based on that but i still have to research properly into that! what about you?
i havent currently thought about any unis but i might just go to the uni my brother went to years ago, but course wise i have no clue! hopefully if i dont get sick of physics i might choose a course based on that but i still have to research properly into that! what about you?

that would be good if you went to the one your brother went to, you can find out more about it from him! i think i want to do medicine or biomedical sciences, i've looked at york, oxford and a few others so far!:colondollar: i am going to go to lots of opens days next year to help me decide :smile:
Reply 12
that would be good if you went to the one your brother went to, you can find out more about it from him! i think i want to do medicine or biomedical sciences, i've looked at york, oxford and a few others so far!:colondollar: i am going to go to lots of opens days next year to help me decide :smile:

wow !! its great that you have ideas of unis and courses you might pick! i wanted to do biochemistry ages ago then i started to hate both subjects so here i am doing physics LOL
wow !! its great that you have ideas of unis and courses you might pick! i wanted to do biochemistry ages ago then i started to hate both subjects so here i am doing physics LOL

Yeah I've only been looking into them recently! hahah, I considered physics at AS but i decided that 3 sciences and maths would be a bit of an overload :colondollar: you have a lot of options with physics too so thats good :smile:
Reply 14
Sorry for no update yesterday! I was out the whole day LOL, but i just came home from school and feel like i should set myself some goals to complete for tomorrow at least, this is to:

x complete maths homework

x write physic notes and go though what i did in class

x sort out sociology notes and start to write out notes on the family unit
Reply 15
Sorry for no update yesterday! I was out the whole day LOL, but i just came home from school and feel like i should set myself some goals to complete for tomorrow at least, this is to:

x complete maths homework

x write physic notes and go though what i did in class

x sort out sociology notes and start to write out notes on the family unit

UPDATE 12/09/2016

whoop whoop, finished my maths homework and wrote out physics notes on S.I derived units! feel confident in that now so im happy about that, i'll have to research into buying an AS Physics book so i can do more at home studying.

Only just started writing out my sociology notes but i'll probably wait for tomorrow to do that!
Guys, im in year 12 and im doing Maths, chem and business studies. And i want to do civil engineering. Will doing business studies at a level, stop me going into a russel group university, as it is a soft subject?
Reply 17
Original post by joseph9299
Guys, im in year 12 and im doing Maths, chem and business studies. And i want to do civil engineering. Will doing business studies at a level, stop me going into a russel group university, as it is a soft subject?

it might put you at a disadvantage with other people but im not entirely sure!
Reply 18
making myself more aims I gotta make sure I do before the day ends! Hopefully I'm not too tired by then haha.

x do maths more maths homework and test myself using exam questions

x finish physics homework and do practice questions

x finish rewriting sociology notes and go through them
Reply 19
UPDATE 13/09/2016

Doneeeeeeee.

Completed my homework and rewrote my sociology notes, tomorrow i'll spend some time at school watching physics videos to try and properly grasp the topic we're learning right now and maybe do some maths after school. I'm tired as heck right now and want to sleep!

Quick Reply

Latest