The Student Room Group

Experimenting on non human primates?

So David Attenborough and a bunch of other scientists recently wrote a letter and published it in the independent criticising experimentation on non human primates.I would link the article but I'm on my tablet.Anyway I was wondering what are people's views on this?Do you think it's justified to research using apes and other primates? If so why? Personally I don't think it is.

Scroll to see replies

It's a tough one to try and justify.

If something has 98% of our DNA should they really be considered an animal?

I suppose the counter argument is that it's the closest you can get to human testing without actually risking it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
It's a tough one to try and justify.

If something has 98% of our DNA should they really be considered an animal?

I suppose the counter argument is that it's the closest you can get to human testing without actually risking it.

Yes but that just empasises that we place human lives over animal lives.But say a chimp has the intelligence of a 5 year old child.Maybe greater.I think thats pretty reasonable.You would not experiment on a five year old.Its only because animals are not human that we justify it.
Original post by Robby2312
Yes but that just empasises that we place human lives over animal lives.But say a chimp has the intelligence of a 5 year old child.Maybe greater.I think thats pretty reasonable.You would not experiment on a five year old.Its only because animals are not human that we justify it.

Yeah you're right.

I'm not a vegie but I think there's a clear line between a cow and a chimp or a gorilla.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4

Some animals have a more developed brain than some mentally disabled people but that doesn't stop people from trying to justify the treatment of them.
Yeah you're right.

I'm not a vegie but I think there's a clear line between cow and a chimp or a gorilla.

Im not either.Just kind of wish that humans wouldnt destroy everything.Another difference is that great apes are much more endangered than cows are.We kill a cow.There is plenty more where that came from.We kill a gorilla or an orangutan or even a tiger then not so much.
Reply 6
Im not either.Just kind of wish that humans wouldnt destroy everything.Another difference is that great apes are much more endangered than cows are.We kill a cow.There is plenty more where that came from.We kill a gorilla or an orangutan or even a tiger then not so much.

I also wish humans wouldn't feel they have the right to destroy an animal because there are plenty of that same species around.
Reply 7
Yeah you're right.

I'm not a vegie but I think there's a clear line between cow and a chimp or a gorilla.

What's that?
I'm not sure of the specifics in this case.

I like apes. Apes are great. And I would slaughter them in their thousands if it saved someone I loved from cancer or another type of disease.

Wouldn't you?

How many apes is your mother worth?

SS
Original post by canyou
Some animals have a more developed brain than some mentally disabled people but that doesn't stop people from trying to justify the treatment of them.

I agree.Humans think they're more intelligent than everything else so they can treat other animals how they like.But animals cant speak so there is not really a way to tell just how intelligent an animal is.Take a dolphin for example.It has no hands so it cant really build tools.It cant speak so it cant tell us anything.There is actually no way to tell what goes on its brain.I think that our higher intelligence is really just a matter of degree not kind.Whatever conciousness humans have I think animals have it too we just maybe have it in greater measure.Even dogs and cats if you have pets you can tell they have distinct personalities.
Original post by Supersaps
I'm not sure of the specifics in this case.

I like apes. Apes are great. And I would slaughter them in their thousands if it saved someone I loved from cancer or another type of disease.

Wouldn't you?

How many apes is your mother worth?

SS

Right but say a bonobo is as intelligent as a 5- 10 year old child.Isnt this the same as saying how many children would you kill to save your mother from cancer?Interesting debate anyway I got bored of the islam threads.
Original post by canyou
What's that?

Lol.

Shouldn't you be asking "who's that?" :lol:
Our lives aren't more important than theirs, we are just an incredibly selfish bunch.
Reply 13
I agree.Humans think they're more intelligent than everything else so they can treat other animals how they like.But animals cant speak so there is not really a way to tell just how intelligent an animal is.Take a dolphin for example.It has no hands so it cant really build tools.It cant speak so it cant tell us anything.There is actually no way to tell what goes on its brain.I think that our higher intelligence is really just a matter of degree not kind.Whatever conciousness humans have I think animals have it too we just maybe have it in greater measure.Even dogs and cats if you have pets you can tell they have distinct personalities.

Exactly. All animals have the ability to feel pain; suffering; all range of emotions. There are even studies suggesting animals can get depressed too like humans.
Reply 14
Lol.

Shouldn't you be asking "who's that?" :lol:

No I meant what is that?
I can see how it would be seen as 'morally' wrong, if it was for petty things like cosmetics, animal suffering for human vanity? But, for stuff like medicine, I think it's necessary for the advancement of humanity.
Original post by canyou
No I meant what is that?

A singular of the below. I get it, I missed out "a".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle

Unless you mean subspecies of chimpanzees and gorillas, in which case I'm not sober enough for that.
Right but say a bonobo is as intelligent as a 5- 10 year old child.Isnt this the same as saying how many children would you kill to save your mother from cancer?Interesting debate anyway I got bored of the islam threads.

Being intelligent isn't what gives humans their value or dignity. Otherwise, a smart person would have more worth than someone not as clever.

For example, children arn't less important than adults.

SS
Original post by Mathemagicien
Well, your very existence is constantly killing animals and other living things, so you've obviously decided your life is more important than billions of organisms.

Yep.
Original post by Supersaps
Being intelligent isn't what gives humans their value or dignity. Otherwise, a smart person would have more worth than someone not as clever.

For example, children arn't less important than adults.

SS

Right so what would you say gives humans their value or dignity if not their intelligence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending