The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine with Foundation Year BMBS

Hi, I did poorly in my AS levels and was wondering if I would be eligible to apply for the A108 course.

Some background:

Spoiler

I have always been set on the path for medicine but unfortunately my AS grades are quite appalling. I know that I will not be able to apply for the standard 5 year course since my teachers will not predict me the 3 As needed.

I went on the Nottingham university website and like needed, I am living in a neighbourhood that is less advantaged in terms of income (I used the postcode tool provided by the university) and I am also living in a household with an income of no more than £35,000 (my parents are receiving Child Tax Credit.

This may seem like a silly question but is there any other catch? I know some universities offering the 6 year program say that my peers in my school should be doing poorly academically. I'm at a grammar school and this is not the case at all. I couldn't find anything similar to this in the Nottingham uni website?

This is the website:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/medicine-with-a-foundation-year-bmbs.aspx

Tsr is probably flooded with medicine applicants asking the same question over and over again so I'm really thankful for all of you who have read this far into my post.

Thank you for any advice! :h:
Reply 1
:bump:
Reply 2
Original post by 2017UCas
Hi, I did poorly in my AS levels and was wondering if I would be eligible to apply for the A108 course.

Some background:

Spoiler

I have always been set on the path for medicine but unfortunately my AS grades are quite appalling. I know that I will not be able to apply for the standard 5 year course since my teachers will not predict me the 3 As needed.

I went on the Nottingham university website and like needed, I am living in a neighbourhood that is less advantaged in terms of income (I used the postcode tool provided by the university) and I am also living in a household with an income of no more than £35,000 (my parents are receiving Child Tax Credit.

This may seem like a silly question but is there any other catch? I know some universities offering the 6 year program say that my peers in my school should be doing poorly academically. I'm at a grammar school and this is not the case at all. I couldn't find anything similar to this in the Nottingham uni website?

This is the website:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/medicine-with-a-foundation-year-bmbs.aspx

Tsr is probably flooded with medicine applicants asking the same question over and over again so I'm really thankful for all of you who have read this far into my post.

Thank you for any advice! :h:

It would be best to ask Nottingham direct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
It would be best to ask Nottingham direct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you :smile:
Hm, you can apply..
I know someone who went to a grammar school, and now we're in the same class (doing Medicine at Notts A108) so it's definitely worth a shot!!
As long as your predicted grades meet their criteria you should be considered (I know someone with low AS grades who got an interview so don't let that deter you from applying) best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by spiritless98
Hm, you can apply..
I know someone who went to a grammar school, and now we're in the same class (doing Medicine at Notts A108) so it's definitely worth a shot!!
As long as your predicted grades meet their criteria you should be considered (I know someone with low AS grades who got an interview so don't let that deter you from applying) best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Reply 6
I have another question :biggrin:

My school have offered me the choice to swap Chemistry for Psychology (since I got an A at AS). If I do this, I'll be able to get AAA predictions for A2 and maybe even A*AA since the A in my Psychology was high.

But then I won't be able to consider Medicine at all (lack of Chemistry at A level and too high predictions to be considered for foundation courses).
I have tried to search up a list of possible medical schools that might not require Chemistry for A level. I've tried to research into it but I can't seem to find out what the required subjects are?

The universities are:
Newcastle
Durham

If it is possible to do Medicine at those universities without a need for Chemistry at A level, I will switch Chemistry for Psychology and apply to 2 medical schools and 3 neuroscience unis.
Original post by 2017UCas
I have another question :biggrin:

My school have offered me the choice to swap Chemistry for Psychology (since I got an A at AS). If I do this, I'll be able to get AAA predictions for A2 and maybe even A*AA since the A in my Psychology was high.

But then I won't be able to consider Medicine at all (lack of Chemistry at A level and too high predictions to be considered for foundation courses).
I have tried to search up a list of possible medical schools that might not require Chemistry for A level. I've tried to research into it but I can't seem to find out what the required subjects are?

The universities are:
Newcastle
Durham

If it is possible to do Medicine at those universities without a need for Chemistry at A level, I will switch Chemistry for Psychology and apply to 2 medical schools and 3 neuroscience unis.

You should definitely keep chemistry!! Not having chemistry will seriously damage your options! Don't drop chemistry, I wouldn't if I were you!
(Would you be happy doing neuroscience if you didn't get Med?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by spiritless98
You should definitely keep chemistry!! Not having chemistry will seriously damage your options! Don't drop chemistry, I wouldn't if I were you!
(Would you be happy doing neuroscience if you didn't get Med?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be completely honest, I don't think I'll be happy doing neuroscience since I've always wanted to become a doctor. Maybe I should work my socks off this year and get at least AAA and reapply next year.

I'm just worried that maybe Chemistry is not for me, which is what my teachers have been suggesting - it's upsetting since I am immensely enjoying Chemistry - even more so in Year 13 since I've got the teachers I really like.
If you enjoy a subject it is easier to put the work in and do well. You have great GCSE stats so I would only think about doing your 3 A levels and getting that minimum of 3 As. this year. Then afterwards have a little break, then put in for your UKCAT spend a few weeks practising that so you get a competitive score, get some more work experience and apply next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending