The Student Room Group

Oxford Economics and Management Course

Hi everyone! Is it normal to apply for E&M in Oxford and pure Economics in other unis like LSE? If so, how should the personal statement be written? Would it need to be 50% Econs and 50% Management? :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hangrylady88
Hi everyone! Is it normal to apply for E&M in Oxford and pure Economics in other unis like LSE? If so, how should the personal statement be written? Would it need to be 50% Econs and 50% Management? :/

Yes, it is normal, and no your personal statement does not need to include management.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Yes, it is normal, and no your personal statement does not need to include management.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Not at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? Not at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It's very important to acknowledge that this course is Economics and Management, not just Economics. Half of the first year course is Management. You can do this through your PS and at interview, if you reach that stage. How much of your PS you want to devote to Management is up to you but I'm not sure that 0% is the optimal proportion. I'd recommend looking through this reading list and seeing if anything stands out as something you might want to read. You can talk about a book on organizational economics or similar in a way that will signal an interest in Management to Oxford without looking like you're not fully committed to Economics from the perspective of other universities.

The PS is generally viewed as being a rather minor part of the Oxford application, with more weight placed on tests and interviews, but E&M is a heavily oversubscribed course and you want to make it clear why you're applying for E&M at Oxford and not just Economics at Cambridge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
If youre applying to oxford e and m, make sure half your personal statement is on management. Lse wont mind
Original post by PS4
If youre applying to oxford e and m, make sure half your personal statement is on management. Lse wont mind

But doesn't LSE heavily weigh the personal statement? I'm afraid that the word space I use for management will prevent me from showing my interest in Economics.
Original post by BJack
It's very important to acknowledge that this course is Economics and Management, not just Economics. Half of the first year course is Management. You can do this through your PS and at interview, if you reach that stage. How much of your PS you want to devote to Management is up to you but I'm not sure that 0% is the optimal proportion. I'd recommend looking through this reading list and seeing if anything stands out as something you might want to read. You can talk about a book on organizational economics or similar in a way that will signal an interest in Management to Oxford without looking like you're not fully committed to Economics from the perspective of other universities.

The PS is generally viewed as being a rather minor part of the Oxford application, with more weight placed on tests and interviews, but E&M is a heavily oversubscribed course and you want to make it clear why you're applying for E&M at Oxford and not just Economics at Cambridge.

Do you think it will be alright to focus slightly more on Economics and acknowledge my interest in Management?
But doesn't LSE heavily weigh the personal statement? I'm afraid that the word space I use for management will prevent me from showing my interest in Economics.

This is very true, and Oxford admissions tutor know that other top unis only offer straight economics and thus including bits on management will disadvantage you on receiving an offer from your other choices. Bare in mind Oxford weigh the personal statement lightly and you'll have a whole interview to discuss management whilst often your personal statement is the only chance at institutions such as LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Do you think it will be alright to focus slightly more on Economics and acknowledge my interest in Management?

Probably, although my comments are based on memories of what I've heard from admissions tutors a while ago. Good luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 10

They do but that's fine. Half on management is too much but probably at least one or one and a half paragraphs on why you want to study management and 2 or 2.5 paragraphs on economics.
Original post by BJack
Probably, although my comments are based on memories of what I've heard from admissions tutors a while ago. Good luck with your application! :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
This is very true, and Oxford admissions tutor know that other top unis only offer straight economics and thus including bits on management will disadvantage you on receiving an offer from your other choices. Bare in mind Oxford weigh the personal statement lightly and you'll have a whole interview to discuss management whilst often your personal statement is the only chance at institutions such as LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, how much does Oxford even weigh when it comes to the personal statement?
Original post by PS4
They do but that's fine. Half on management is too much but probably at least one or one and a half paragraphs on why you want to study management and 2 or 2.5 paragraphs on economics.

Alright, thank you! :smile:
Sometimes Oxford tutors don't even read the PS until after the interview, whereas at LSE it's absolutely VITAL that it's all relevant to the course. Oxford recommends that you write it for other unis, so do that. I'm in a similar position to you (but for PPE over E&M), as I'm sure most people applying are.
Original post by JRKinder
Sometimes Oxford tutors don't even read the PS until after the interview, whereas at LSE it's absolutely VITAL that it's all relevant to the course. Oxford recommends that you write it for other unis, so do that. I'm in a similar position to you (but for PPE over E&M), as I'm sure most people applying are.

How would they decide who to pick for interviews? Is it more focused on the TSA?
Actually, how much does Oxford even weigh when it comes to the personal statement?

Personal statement receives a very, very low weighting. A TSA score, predictions and GCSEs are far more important. The mean score for an interviewed candidate was 66.9, whilst you need to be predicted the entry requirements whilst the average GCSE A*s of an interviewed candidate is 8.5 A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amelienine
How would they decide who to pick for interviews? Is it more focused on the TSA?
The usual cut-off for an interview is a TSA score of 60, and then I think they also weight your GCSE % of A*s using contextual data about your school. A Level predictions don't matter as long as they're at least the entry requirements.
Original post by JRKinder

Are you applying in this cycle as well? So I should just gear my PS towards my other choices then?
Are you applying in this cycle as well? So I should just gear my PS towards my other choices then?
Yeah I got an interview last year but screwed it up lol, so I'm having another go. If you're applying to LSE just gear it up towards them because that's the only chance of getting an offer from them (since they have all the Oxford and Cambridge people applying be to them with no tests or interviews). If it's good enough for LSE it'll be good enough for everywhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending