The Student Room Group

Should I quit a full time job for a civil service internship?

Hi,

I've been working at a well-known, reputable company for a year now and it's my first graduate job after leaving uni. I don't enjoy the job at all, it's extremely boring, high attrition, management is terrible and there is very little progression. However it looks good on the CV and I've made some great friends there.

I've been offered a paid internship at the civil service, fixed term contract for 6 months.

Should I take up the job? I could end up unemployed afterwards. Or is it worth it?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
No
Reply 2
Original post by Maker
No

Why?
Reply 3
Original post by yabbayabba
Why?

If you want to work for the CS, find a job in the CS in the normal way, its stupid to give up a job even one you don't like to do a temporary job without the assurance of a job afterwards.

Its a lot harder to get a job if you are unemployed compared to when you are employed even if the job you want is unrelated to your current job,
yeah its civil service you will more than likely be offered a place on the grad scheme post scheme. who dares wins.
Reply 5
Original post by Maker
If you want to work for the CS, find a job in the CS in the normal way, its stupid to give up a job even one you don't like to do a temporary job without the assurance of a job afterwards.

Its a lot harder to get a job if you are unemployed compared to when you are employed even if the job you want is unrelated to your current job,

What are you currently doing? *
Hi,

I've been working at a well-known, reputable company for a year now and it's my first graduate job after leaving uni. I don't enjoy the job at all, it's extremely boring, high attrition, management is terrible and there is very little progression. However it looks good on the CV and I've made some great friends there.

I've been offered a paid internship at the civil service, fixed term contract for 6 months.

Should I take up the job? I could end up unemployed afterwards. Or is it worth it?

Thanks

Firstly look at the practicalities, if you took the internship and then couldn't find anything straight after, would you be able to manage financily? If yes then I'd be inclined to take the risk personally as you don't like your current job.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
Firstly look at the practicalities, if you took the internship and then couldn't find anything straight after, would you be able to manage financily? If yes then I'd be inclined to take the risk personally as you don't like your current job.

I'd be fine financially, as I still live with parents. I plan to look for another job whilst interning to have something to (hopefully) jump onto afterwards.

Thanks for your advice!*
I'd be fine financially, as I still live with parents. I plan to look for another job whilst interning to have something to (hopefully) jump onto afterwards.

Thanks for your advice!*

That's good then and yes as long as you start looking in good time you should be able to get something to move onto. So as long as you are really keen on the role itself I would go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending