The Student Room Group

Access to HE: Science... Is this doable?

Hey,

So a few days back I transferred courses and will be joining the class a little late and I'm a bit anxious. In order to apply to uni I need:

Access to HE Diploma (Science) must include 15 level 3 credits in Biology at Distinction and 15 level 3 credits in Chemistry at Merit.

Being brand new to this course and having spent no time with any tutors as of it, I'm totally confused on the whole credit system. Do my requirements seem doable?

Any information would be massively appreciated, thank you in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Depends how clever you are and/or how much effort you are willing to put in.

I got 45 distinctions in my access to HE (science) course, so yeah, it's doable.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Depends how clever you are and/or how much effort you are willing to put in.

I got 45 distinctions in my access to HE (science) course, so yeah, it's doable.

Thanks for your reply!

Wow, so does that mean every piece of work you submitted you got a D?
About 1/3 of the people who completed the year on my access course got distinctions across the board. So yes, it is doable.
Original post by Quantex
About 1/3 of the people who completed the year on my access course got distinctions across the board. So yes, it is doable.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm a little lost on one thing, are assignments a one-chance deal? As in you only get one submission or are there opportunities to resubmit?

Also, are you able to recommend any books that helped you during the course?

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by givemeknowledge
Thanks for your reply!

I'm a little lost on one thing, are assignments a one-chance deal? As in you only get one submission or are there opportunities to resubmit? Thank you

The course I did was one chance unless you failed, then you could resubmit (something students shamelessly exploited by deliberately failing the first time). However I believe there has been changes to access courses since I completed mine so best to ask your tutor/college.
Original post by Quantex
The course I did was one chance unless you failed, then you could resubmit (something students shamelessly exploited by deliberately failing the first time). However I believe there has been changes to access courses since I completed mine so best to ask your tutor/college.

Do you mind me asking when you did the course?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you mind me asking when you did the course?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

2012-2013
Original post by Quantex

This can vary quite a bit from college to college. At mine, in 2014, out of 140 students who started Access, only 1 got a clean sweep of Distinctions. I'm not trying to put you off, OP, but it's best not to get too complacent.
Thanks for your reply!

Wow, so does that mean every piece of work you submitted you got a D?

Yes, but I actually wanted to learn all of the topics we covered, whereas many of the students just saw the course as a means to an end. I hope you don't think I'm gloating, btw.
I can confirm the post above this (post 6); you will get one chance. My advice is to do as well as you can on the first assignment, get a D and then go from there.
Access courses are very well outlined and you will be told exactly what you're expected to cover in order to get merits and distinctions; use the assignment brief to your advantage.
Another point: don't let the work pile up; crack on with the assignments as soon as you get them. The year will start off nice and slowly in order to ease everyone in gently, but after christmas the assignments will start coming thick and fast, so it's best to be in a good habit from the outset.

If there's anything else you want to know, let me (or Gizmo) know.
Yes, but I actually wanted to learn all of the topics we covered, whereas many of the students just saw the course as a means to an end. I hope you don't think I'm gloating, btw.
I can confirm the post above this (post 6); you will get one chance. My advice is to do as well as you can on the first assignment, get a D and then go from there.
Access courses are very well outlined and you will be told exactly what you're expected to cover in order to get merits and distinctions; use the assignment brief to your advantage.
Another point: don't let the work pile up; crack on with the assignments as soon as you get them. The year will start off nice and slowly in order to ease everyone in gently, but after christmas the assignments will start coming thick and fast, so it's best to be in a good habit from the outset.

If there's anything else you want to know, let me (or Gizmo) know.

Cheers for the reply!

Of course not, although I wouldn't blame you if you were!

That gives me a little piece of mind, the fact that tasks are well outlined. That is my biggest worry, that I'm going to be working on an assignment simply not having any idea whether I've hit distinction criteria or not.

Thanks for the advice, and I plan to do just that; this course is the one hurdle between university so I am more than ready to do what needs to be done.

Did your tutors allow you to have them skim over assignments prior to submission or was it literally one hand-in and you're done?

Thanks!
Did your tutors allow you to have them skim over assignments prior to submission or was it literally one hand-in and you're done?

Some did, others did too but weren't very happy to. I think it would depend on the tutor, but it's worth keeping in mind that they want to see you succeed.
I feel like many of your worries are going to be dependant on the college you go to and the tutors you get. That said, you seem to have a good attitude about it so I don't see why you wouldn't do well.

What degree are you hoping to apply for and what did you transfer from, if you don't mind me asking?
Some did, others did too but weren't very happy to. I think it would depend on the tutor, but it's worth keeping in mind that they want to see you succeed.
I feel like many of your worries are going to be dependant on the college you go to and the tutors you get. That said, you seem to have a good attitude about it so I don't see why you wouldn't do well.

What degree are you hoping to apply for and what did you transfer from, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah that's true (about them wanting us to succeed) so I hope my tutors to-be will be good with that!

I'm hoping to study nutrition and dietetics.
Yeah that's true (about them wanting us to succeed) so I hope my tutors to-be will be good with that!

I'm hoping to study nutrition and dietetics.

(Was just looking at a very similar thread to this one that I made this time last year! Was worried about how intense the course was going to be and so on.)

There were three women on my course who wanted to do nutrition and dietetics, had nine children between them as well as part-time work. They all passed and all got on the course they wanted!

Bottom line: yes, it's doable! :biggrin:
(Was just looking at a very similar thread to this one that I made this time last year! Was worried about how intense the course was going to be and so on.)

There were three women on my course who wanted to do nutrition and dietetics, had nine children between them as well as part-time work. They all passed and all got on the course they wanted!

Bottom line: yes, it's doable! :biggrin:

Haha! Must be very common to feel like this then... Nice to know I'm not alone :smile:

That is music to my ears, I really appreciate you saying that, feeling much more at ease than I have been the past few days so thank you!
Reply 15
Hi I've completed the access science course this year and going to Notts to study nutrition and dietetics in 2 weeks time.

It's a great course and u get from it what u put into it really.

We had a student hand book that explain grading and assessing but took a couple of months to fully understand the mark system. So main thing is to ask as many questions as u can so u know how to get the distinctions u need.

Any question please ask and will try and help, but mostly enjoy the course and keep on top of your work.
Original post by Abzlou
Hi I've completed the access science course this year and going to Notts to study nutrition and dietetics in 2 weeks time.

It's a great course and u get from it what u put into it really.

We had a student hand book that explain grading and assessing but took a couple of months to fully understand the mark system. So main thing is to ask as many questions as u can so u know how to get the distinctions u need.

Any question please ask and will try and help, but mostly enjoy the course and keep on top of your work.

Wow thank you for your reply! Looks like I'm a year behind you on your journey :smile:

I will be sure to ask a ton of questions, I need to absolutely smash this year so will do whatever I need to do.

Do you remember how soon it was that assignments were given to you last year? My class only started this week and I got given 3 assignments which made me pretty nervous although I hope these nerves will settle slightly once I've been in some classes/ asked some questions.

Do you mind me asking how you got on?

Also what did you need to get to get on to your dietetics course?

How much experience in a dietetics department did you have prior to applying for the course?

Sorry for the questions, but you are where I want to be in 1 year :smile:
Wow thank you for your reply! Looks like I'm a year behind you on your journey :smile:

I will be sure to ask a ton of questions, I need to absolutely smash this year so will do whatever I need to do.

Do you remember how soon it was that assignments were given to you last year? My class only started this week and I got given 3 assignments which made me pretty nervous although I hope these nerves will settle slightly once I've been in some classes/ asked some questions.

Do you mind me asking how you got on?

Also what did you need to get to get on to your dietetics course?

How much experience in a dietetics department did you have prior to applying for the course?

You'll have units that collectively make a module. Universities make offers based on your module grade.

I am also studying an access to science course, but have only been doing it for a week. But I can try to answer any questions.

Try and get some experience, even if its just a day or two. It really is valuable in your application.
Original post by KyleH123
You'll have units that collectively make a module. Universities make offers based on your module grade.

I am also studying an access to science course, but have only been doing it for a week. But I can try to answer any questions.

Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply