The Student Room Group

Is it possible to learn A level maths with A level physics within a year?

Hi there,
I'm currently in my final year at college and would like to do maths and physics as I will greatly need it in the future as well as the university requires them. Is it possible to learn them at home within a year?
I can take the exams with my college but I'm not able to fit all the classes on my timetable.

I'm currently doing Chemistry and Biology for my A2 and I've dropped History and Economics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jjd3
Hi there,
I'm currently in my final year at college and would like to do maths and physics as I will greatly need it in the future as well as the university requires them. Is it possible to learn them at home within a year?
I can take the exams with my college but I'm not able to fit all the classes on my timetable.

I'm currently doing Chemistry and Biology for my A2 and I've dropped History and Economics.

If you're a genius-science-prodigy, yes. You can do it. Otherwise no, you'll just burn yourself out and not achieve well enough. Sorry :frown:

Maybe take a gap year and do those sciences then?
Reply 2
Original post by AnnaRainbows
If you're a genius-science-prodigy, yes. You can do it. Otherwise no, you'll just burn yourself out and not achieve well enough. Sorry :frown:

Maybe take a gap year and do those sciences then?

Well I have to finish my sciences this year as I've done a year of them(AS), what if I just continue A level maths with it? Would that be reasonable?
On tsr, people have done it in two months
But anyway, if you work consistently you can
I know exam solutions and physicsmathstutor are helpful but I will leave it to the people who have actually done it to give you advice on how exactly to do it
Reply 4
Original post by LifeIsFine
On tsr, people have done it in two months
But anyway, if you work consistently you can
I know exam solutions and physicsmathstutor are helpful but I will leave it to the people who have actually done it to give you advice on how exactly to do it

Thanks,
I will be trying to learn it myself if I do both as I won't be able to go to all the lessons, I was thinking about getting a tutor but I'm uncertain at this point.
Original post by Jjd3
Thanks,
I will be trying to learn it myself if I do both as I won't be able to go to all the lessons, I was thinking about getting a tutor but I'm uncertain at this point.

I'm not sure whether you should get a tutor. It is certainly able to learn it just from online (physics maths tutor is predominantly a website). Anyway I can't help much so I will tag a tsr expert on this when I'm on my Laptop rather than phone
EDIT: @Zacken
Btw, take his comments with a pinch of salt, because you know, he's a genius.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jjd3
Well I have to finish my sciences this year as I've done a year of them(AS), what if I just continue A level maths with it? Would that be reasonable?

Yes, I think that's more realistic, and to be fair if you stay on top of your game all the time, you'd be able to ace all your exams. It's just, teens tend to dedicate quite a lot of time to extra-curriculars (I did as well); and this usually gets in the way.

But if you believe in yourself and are convinced you can do it, go ahead. I only said you can't because you mentioned you'd be studying alone without a tutor, which is very difficult :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by AnnaRainbows
Yes, I think that's more realistic, and to be fair if you stay on top of your game all the time, you'd be able to ace all your exams. It's just, teens tend to dedicate quite a lot of time to extra-curriculars (I did as well); and this usually gets in the way.

But if you believe in yourself and are convinced you can do it, go ahead. I only said you can't because you mentioned you'd be studying alone without a tutor, which is very difficult :frown:

Ok thanks :biggrin:

Yes, I thought it might be difficult to do as well so i might just get a tutor.
I did get A in chemistry for AS and a B for biology but our AS were different as we weren't entered for the exam, I don't really know how it works but It won't count or they aren't available on the UCAS website.
Reply 8
I'm not sure whether you should get a tutor. It is certainly able to learn it just from online (physics maths tutor is predominantly a website). Anyway I can't help much so I will tag a tsr expert on this when I'm on my Laptop rather than phone
EDIT: @Zacken
Btw, take his comments with a pinch of salt, because you know, he's a genius.

Thanks I will see if I can contact him :smile:
Original post by Jjd3
Ok thanks :biggrin:

Yes, I thought it might be difficult to do as well so i might just get a tutor.
I did get A in chemistry for AS and a B for biology but our AS were different as we weren't entered for the exam, I don't really know how it works but It won't count or they aren't available on the UCAS website.

Yeah, I agree the new spec is very messy :smile: plus individual colleges add up to the confusion - some still do exams for AS some don't, some do mock, etc...

But yeah! I believe anyone can make it if they work hard, and you don't seem like a slacker so you should be fine :smile: good luck!
Original post by Jjd3
Hi there,

A level Maths = Yes.

A level Physics = No, based upon the 2 practical coursework elements that are involved. However, I'm not
aware whether if its possible in the new spec, which I don't know much about.
Reply 11
Original post by Jjd3

Thanks for the tag. :smile:

Alright, so it's definitely possible - now how easy you'll find it is a different story. You could feel like it's a breeze or struggle through it really hard. Assuming that you're leaning more towards the latter then it's important that

(i) You get all administrative business out of the way so you don't stress: get your exam timetable, make sure you're registered for the exam at a centre, etc...

(ii) Have a good work ethic, set yourself targets everyday: "I need to have learnt logarithms and gone through the first exercise on it by the end of the day"' - stuff like that.

(iii) Ask for help on TSR/to your teachers whenever you are stuck. Never go "meh, I don't understand but it probs won't come up so nvm".

(iv) Use examsolutions, it is a lifesaver.

Now depending on how good you are, you can relax some of these things. But to be safe, I'd recommend following it. I personally had a really crappy work ethic which came to bite me in the ass for STEP (although I still somehow managed to do well... so that that how you will - there was certainly a lot of stress about my STEP II paper pre-results day).

Good luck. Feel free to contact me whenever for advice/help.
Reply 12
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
A level Maths = Yes.

A level Physics = No, based upon the 2 practical coursework elements that are involved. However, I'm not
aware whether if its possible in the new spec, which I don't know much about.

Oh really, I'm not certain but I've heard about the practical coursework. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it...
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
Thanks for the tag. :smile:

Alright, so it's definitely possible - now how easy you'll find it is a different story. You could feel like it's a breeze or struggle through it really hard. Assuming that you're leaning more towards the latter then it's important that

(i) You get all administrative business out of the way so you don't stress: get your exam timetable, make sure you're registered for the exam at a centre, etc...

(ii) Have a good work ethic, set yourself targets everyday: "I need to have learnt logarithms and gone through the first exercise on it by the end of the day"' - stuff like that.

(iii) Ask for help on TSR/to your teachers whenever you are stuck. Never go "meh, I don't understand but it probs won't come up so nvm".

(iv) Use examsolutions, it is a lifesaver.

Now depending on how good you are, you can relax some of these things. But to be safe, I'd recommend following it. I personally had a really crappy work ethic which came to bite me in the ass for STEP (although I still somehow managed to do well... so that that how you will - there was certainly a lot of stress about my STEP II paper pre-results day).

Good luck. Feel free to contact me whenever for advice/help.

Thanks so much. I will try the best I can do. Also a questions thats been in my mind is that I won't have a UCAS reference for maths then, will it effect my chances for university?

Would it be better to do mechanics over statistics if I manage to do physics?

Is this website any good for self teaching or should I find someone in person or use websites?
https://www.icslearn.co.uk/courses/a-levels/a-level-mathematics/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Jjd3
Thanks so much. I will try the best I can do. Also a questions thats been in my mind is that I won't have a UCAS reference for maths then, will it effect my chances for university?

Get someone at your school to do your reference for you, they should still be willing to do it.

Would it be better to do mechanics over statistics if I manage to do physics?

Is this website any good for self teaching or should I find someone in person or use websites?
https://www.icslearn.co.uk/courses/a-levels/a-level-mathematics/

Like I said, use examsolutions, it's a gem. You should be able to self-teach maths with that.

And uhm, yeah, I guess mech would be useful. Reduces the amount of things needed to learn.
Reply 15
Original post by Jjd3
Oh really, I'm not certain but I've heard about the practical coursework. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it...

You'll be able to do it at your centre.
Reply 16
Original post by Zacken
You'll be able to do it at your centre.

I will? I'm doing it with my college is that fine?
Reply 17
Original post by Jjd3
I will? I'm doing it with my college is that fine?

Yes, that's what makes it do-able, the fact that you're doing it at your college. Have a chat with them and sort out your stuff, like I said, get all this administrative crap out of the way.
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
Yes, that's what makes it do-able, the fact that you're doing it at your college. Have a chat with them and sort out your stuff, like I said, get all this administrative crap out of the way.

Ah yes, I will see on monday, hopefully I can sort it within a day.

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Jjd3
Thanks

No worries.

Quick Reply

Latest