The Student Room Group

New AS/A level spec

Following the AS reforms, the UMS for individual papers are not included on the results sheets. How am I supposed to know how far away I was from the next grade???
ask your teacher, they have all the data

Original post by wowthisiscool
Following the AS reforms, the UMS for individual papers are not included on the results sheets. How am I supposed to know how far away I was from the next grade???
Reply 2

For my exams I was given the raw mark on my results sheet, so I was able to see how many raw marks i was off the next grade, but I'm not sure if all exam boards give you the raw marks (I did Edexcel), so depending on your exam board you should be able to see.
Original post by solC
For my exams I was given the raw mark on my results sheet, so I was able to see how many raw marks i was off the next grade, but I'm not sure if all exam boards give you the raw marks (I did Edexcel), so depending on your exam board you should be able to see.

And the raw marks are on the exam board's website right?
Reply 4
And the raw marks are on the exam board's website right?

Yeah they are given on the grade boundaries, if you are looking specifically for new spec subjects then you would go on the 'notional component grade boundaries' (what they are called on Edexcel)
Original post by solC
Yeah they are given on the grade boundaries, if you are looking specifically for new spec subjects then you would go on the 'notional component grade boundaries' (what they are called on Edexcel)

Most of my exam boards are AQA though but I'll look again
Reply 6
Most of my exam boards are AQA though but I'll look again

Ah, I know that AQA still post the boundaries for new linear A levels but I remember one of my friends said he didn't get his raw marks from his papers. I'm sure you can just ask the teachers for your marks though.
Original post by solC
Ah, I know that AQA still post the boundaries for new linear A levels but I remember one of my friends said he didn't get his raw marks from his papers. I'm sure you can just ask the teachers for your marks though.

Yeah, I'll just ask my teachers :smile:

Thank you for your help
Reply 8
Yeah, I'll just ask my teachers :smile:

Thank you for your help

No worries :smile:
Original post by solC
No worries :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do at AS?
Original post by MathSci1999
ask your teacher, they have all the data

Thank you btw :smile:
Reply 11
If you don't mind me asking, how did you do at AS?

Sure, I got AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
Original post by solC

Wow, well done!!!
Do you have any tips on how you revised for maths?
Original post by solC

And chemistry...
how do you think you should revise for maths.....

And chemistry...
Reply 15
Wow, well done!!!
Do you have any tips on how you revised for maths?

Thank you :smile:
For maths I went through the textbook first and did most of the questions in there, then I started doing questions from the booklets on madasmaths.com and after i was confident in those i started doing past papers.
It's just about practise for maths really, but don't bother a bunch of questions you find easy, try to find some more challenging questions if you can as it makes the actual papers look much easier:wink:

For chemistry I wrote out notes from the textbooks I had and learned all the things like definitions and things you need to memorise. we were given more than one textbook which was nice because sometimes one was bad at explaining or was missing something. I used www.physicsandmathstutor.com to practise questions for each topic, and when it got closer to exams i started going over past papers.
There is also a nice website for Chemistry www.chemguide.co.uk which was very good at explaining things, and if you want the author of the site also has a textbook on calculations in chemistry in case you feel you need extra practice :smile:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0582411270?ie=UTF8&tag=chemguide&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0582411270
Original post by solC
Thank you :smile:
For maths I went through the textbook first and did most of the questions in there, then I started doing questions from the booklets on madasmaths.com and after i was confident in those i started doing past papers.
It's just about practise for maths really, but don't bother a bunch of questions you find easy, try to find some more challenging questions if you can as it makes the actual papers look much easier:wink:

For chemistry I wrote out notes from the textbooks I had and learned all the things like definitions and things you need to memorise. we were given more than one textbook which was nice because sometimes one was bad at explaining or was missing something. I used www.physicsandmathstutor.com to practise questions for each topic, and when it got closer to exams i started going over past papers.
There is also a nice website for Chemistry www.chemguide.co.uk which was very good at explaining things, and if you want the author of the site also has a textbook on calculations in chemistry in case you feel you need extra practice :smile:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0582411270?ie=UTF8&tag=chemguide&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0582411270

Oooh, thanks so much!
I was asking your opinion because I got a B and wasn't too far off an A in both subjects so I just wanted to see what you had done differently to me :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Oooh, thanks so much!
I was asking your opinion because I got a B and wasn't too far off an A in both subjects so I just wanted to see what you had done differently to me :smile:

Oh i see, no worries :smile:
Good luck to you this year :biggrin:
Original post by solC
Oh i see, no worries :smile:
Good luck to you this year :biggrin:

Thank you, and good luck to you too

Quick Reply

Latest