The Student Room Group

Is the Medicine dream over?

Scroll to see replies

I will be staring medicine at The University of Southampton in two weeks!I got into medicine after a gap year. The med dream is not over! With hard work and perseverance anything is possible, the 'how' does not matter, it will be shown to you later, as you continue to work hard. If you have any questions, PM and we can discuss further via watsapp😊. All the best
Original post by Ezme39
Newcastle has been known to fluctuate recently. It was a 745 cut off a few years ago, and dropped to something like 640 because people were too scared to apply. It heavily weights the UKCAT, so I wouldn't suggest applying if you're below 680, and tbh it's still a big risk.
Kings would be a bit lower, but I'm not so sure on that one.

Is Kings UKCAT heavy? Do you know when/where they will publish their cut off value?
Original post by Z1228
Having 4 sections usually increases the average especially as decision analysis was in my opinion one of the easier sections. I got that quote of the website so yh

Well in the past 2 years the DM average was below the overall mean which is what I'm going off, likewise I found it quite easy but I don't know how its scored: 80% correct could've been only 650; just because it's easy doesn't actually mean you'll score highly on it
Original post by DJP1999
Try Liverpool
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/li...lFW2016-17.pdf

Need at least 15 points from GCSE - but A* and A scored the same (2 points) B (1 point) so as long as long as your A*s and As include the required subjects of Core and Additional Science (or Biology, Chemistry & Physics), Maths and English Language you will score 16.

Then they rank by UKCAT and this is what they say 'Liverpool School of Medicine used the UKCAT test for the first time in the 2015-16 admissions cycle. For Home/EU applicants a competitive score was considered to be 2500 or greater. In 2016 UKCAT has removed the Decision Analysis subtest and will be piloting a new test of Decision Making. Neither candidates nor universities will receive a score for this subtest. For 2016 only, this means that candidates and universities will receive a total cognitive scaled score for the sum of the three remaining cognitive sections. Candidates will continue to receive their SJT results in one of four bands. Data, provided by the UKCAT consortium, suggests that a score of 2500 may convert to one in the region of 1750-1870. The UKCAT threshold is determined each year on a competitive basis and thus the range of UKCAT scores suggested can only be considered as indicative.'

Hope this helps. UKCAT and GCSEs are not the be all and end all, just apply wisely and look through all of the Unis selection procedure to find the ones where you have the best chance. It will be time well invested.

Don't give up - if medicine is what you really want to do you can make it happen!! Also lots of Unis aren't looking for a 4th AS this year and hardly any look at the 3 AS that you are taking to A2 - they only care about the A2 predictions so don't worry about your AS grades at all.

Thanks so much for the detailed response :smile:. I totalled up my GCSE scores and it was 16 :biggrin:. I never really considered Liverpool when thinking of medical schools but I'll definitely apply for it now. I meet some criteria of the contextual data so that will surely help! Anyway thanks again :smile:
Original post by Sprout73
I really would try your look this year apply to your strengths as already said A lot of teachers put students down and unless they trawl through every med school requirments every year I really don't always think they are in a position to advise. My daughter had a terrible time with her chemistry teacher saying she was no good and refused to predict her an a ,but she's just about to start her 2nd year at med school and when the school found out she had gained a place no congratulations just dealing silence ,the best revenge is success.

Congratulations to your daughter and all the best :smile:. Thank you for the motivation. The teacher at my school only really favours the straight A* students and tells everyone else that medicine is setting up for failure but I'm determined to get in and succeed!
Original post by Z1228
Honestly I think stick to triple A prediction! Much better to apply to more options, and gap year can definitely be taken too if you get rejected for your UKCAT! Leeds only weight the BMAT as 15% mine was awful but starting medicine in Leeds in a week😁 Don't give up, you will always get people giving you negative comments. Even if you don't get in this year work hard and secure the grades and redo your UKCAT next year and smash it being the main focus

I've looked at places on foundation courses and they're even more competitive, its like 200 applicants for 20 spaces so I think a gap year will be the best option for me. I'm thinking of doing the BMAT just to broaden my options and hopefully I'll do better in that! Congratulations for getting in and all the best for your time at medical school :biggrin:
Original post by ashamraad
Is Kings UKCAT heavy? Do you know when/where they will publish their cut off value?

From what I've heard KCL is quite UKCAT heavy unless your GCSE's are exceptional e.g. 10A*s
Original post by Ezme39
HYMS (where I now study), Keele, Liverpool and Nottingham. Nottingham was the one which rejected me pre-interview :smile:

Thanks and congratulations on getting in! Wishing you all the best :smile:
Reply 68
What would you recommend the minimum UKCAT score being if you are looking to apply to Kings or Newcastle.

Usually they like 700s but this year 680 ish?newcastle are more picky about what ou get in individuals than overall, so even if your overall is higher but you don't match one I recommended don't apply! It'll be a Ashe
Original post by Z1228
Usually they like 700s but this year 680 ish?newcastle are more picky about what ou get in individuals than overall, so even if your overall is higher but you don't match one I recommended don't apply! It'll be a Ashe

I got 620:frown: which unis would you say are quite lenient?
Reply 70
I got 620:frown: which unis would you say are quite lenient?

I got 625 and got offers from both Sheffield and Liverpool, it's not all doom and gloom! Now I'm due to start Medicine next week!
With a high UKCAT score you can consider yourself being within safe grounds. With a lower one, it's just a little bit more stressful because you need to apply strategically - which is one MORE thing you've got to think about. Just make sure the rest of your application is as immaculate as possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by EvilEarth567
Thanks for the advice :smile:. I'm unsure of which uni's to apply to for medicine because from what I've seen you need either good academics (including GCSE's) or a good UKCAT. I'm also thinking of doing neuroscience as a 5th option at Bristol but I don't think they have the transfer option :frown:. If I do apply this year then neuroscience will definitely be one of my options :biggrin:. Bristol do require 3A's though so lowering my predictions won't allow me to apply for neuroscience :frown:. Anyway thank you so for the advice :smile:.

Your application is not doomed. Your UKCAT will probably turn out to be about average, based on previous years (though preliminary deciles should come out this week, so you will get a better idea then).
Your GCSEs are slightly weak, but not awful. Many Med Schools do not even look at AS levels (my son got 3 interviews with abbd at AS).
You should look at Liverpool-they score GCSEs (A* and A the same and depending on your subjects, you may make their cut off) and then have a UKCAT cut off, which last year was about 625, if I remember rightly.
Also Sheffield-they have a UKCAT threshold, then use PS; Keele-again, UKCAT threshold then their equivalent of PS and Bristol-low use of UKCAT and then PS.
So you will need a stellar PS, so get writing!!
This still gives you chance to sit the BMAT and apply to BMAT schools if you want.
I would avoid GEM unless you have no option, as it is expensive and ridiculously competitive, if it even exists in future years. A gap year would be a better option.
Good luck

Edit: Just checked and Sheffield have changed their admission criteria this year to a straight UKCAT cut off, with a level that would have been 675 last year, so please ignore advice relating to them above, sorry!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by neon_reaper
Well in the past 2 years the DM average was below the overall mean which is what I'm going off, likewise I found it quite easy but I don't know how its scored: 80% correct could've been only 650; just because it's easy doesn't actually mean you'll score highly on it

DM is a new section bing trialled this year, and your score in this is not being given to the Universities, so the average is being worked out over 3 sections, VR, QR and AR, plus the SJT band
You should try. Should you not get the grades needed in A2 then you should look into doing a degree. It doesn't have to be biomedical science.
Reply 74
Original post by Z1228
I saw it on the entry requirements, but logically speaking it will be less than the usual 650 as there is a whole section missing! In my opinion anything more than 615 this year is good.

But that is not how averages work!
The marks for the new DM section are not being given to the Universities, so they will simply get your score out of a potential 2700, rather than 3600. Each section is scored out of 900, with a slightly skewed normal distribution curve for medicine. The totals for the last 4 years without DA have been (2012) 1869 (2013) 1872 (2014) 1891 (2015) 1902, giving averages of 623, 624, 630, 634
This compares to the full averages for those years of 629, 660, 626, 632
So as you can see, in recent years, the total average and the average without DA (which is what is missing this year) has been pretty close, so if the averages are similar this year to last year (prelim deciles published this week), then cut offs are likely to be similar to previous years too.
Reply 75
What would you recommend the minimum UKCAT score being if you are looking to apply to Kings or Newcastle.

It depends on how the rest of the cohort perform, but if averages are similar to previous years, then 690 should be OK and 685 upwards risky but probably OK
Reply 76
Original post by Z1228

Newcastle do not care at all about your performance in subsections of the UKCAT, only overall score. Plymouth and Nottingham are Unis for whom subsections scores are important
Original post by GANFYD
DM is a new section bing trialled this year, and your score in this is not being given to the Universities, so the average is being worked out over 3 sections, VR, QR and AR, plus the SJT band

I was saying the lack of DM would affect the overall average; as the interim results have currently proved (although this could obviously go down)
Original post by GANFYD
Your application is not doomed. Your UKCAT will probably turn out to be about average, based on previous years (though preliminary deciles should come out this week, so you will get a better idea then).
Your GCSEs are slightly weak, but not awful. Many Med Schools do not even look at AS levels (my son got 3 interviews with abbd at AS).
You should look at Liverpool-they score GCSEs (A* and A the same and depending on your subjects, you may make their cut off) and then have a UKCAT cut off, which last year was about 625, if I remember rightly.
Also Sheffield-they have a UKCAT threshold, then use PS; Keele-again, UKCAT threshold then their equivalent of PS and Bristol-low use of UKCAT and then PS.
So you will need a stellar PS, so get writing!!
This still gives you chance to sit the BMAT and apply to BMAT schools if you want.
I would avoid GEM unless you have no option, as it is expensive and ridiculously competitive, if it even exists in future years. A gap year would be a better option.
Good luck

Edit: Just checked and Sheffield have changed their admission criteria this year to a straight UKCAT cut off, with a level that would have been 675 last year, so please ignore advice relating to them above, sorry!

Thanks so much for the advice :biggrin:. I've written my PS and teachers are checking it at my school right now. I don't meet Bristol's entry requirements for GCSE's and they don't even look at your application if the academic requirements are not met. On Sheffield's website it says you need a minimum of 1850/2700 to be considered which is 617 so I'm thinking of applying there. I don't think I'll be applying to BMAT uni's because they're out of reach for me haha. Anyway thanks again :smile:.
With your stats I would be going for Liverpool, UEA, Bristol, Keele (UKCAT schools) if you meet the min requirements. For BMAT schools I would avoid Oxbridge, Leeds and UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending