The Student Room Group

English literature question Urgent

I really don't know the answer.

In an essay written in 1989, Paul cantor suggested that Hamlets character is an contradictory one. How does Shakespeare present contradictions in Hamlets character and thoughts in the to be or not to be soliloquy?

choose 2 or 3 quotations that you feel show contradictions in Hamlets character and thoughts in this speech

write about these quotations, analysing how the language works and evaluating any literary devices used by Shakespeare

explore contradictions in Hamlets character and thoughts in the speech, and the ways in which Shakespeare present them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
It's been ages since I studied Hamlet, but I think two major contradictions are
- early on, (line 8 I think) Hamlet says that dying is preferable to living, but later discusses at great length that people bear awful tragedies and conditions in life, and must do so because they fear the afterlife. So is death good or bad?
- Hamlet talks about no traveller returning from the afterlife, yet he is visited by his father's ghost. So, do travellers return or not?

Bard.net is a good resource if you're struggling.
Original post by England113
I really don't know the answer.

In an essay written in 1989, Paul cantor suggested that Hamlets character is an contradictory one. How does Shakespeare present contradictions in Hamlets character and thoughts in the to be or not to be soliloquy?

choose 2 or 3 quotations that you feel show contradictions in Hamlets character and thoughts in this speech

write about these quotations, analysing how the language works and evaluating any literary devices used by Shakespeare

explore contradictions in Hamlets character and thoughts in the speech, and the ways in which Shakespeare present them.

It might help if you printed out the soliloquy on a piece of paper and went through and highlighted any contradictions you find :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest