The Student Room Group

Access to medicine (Clinical Science Foundation Year) worries and enquiries?

So I have wanted to do this course for a while where you are able to transfer to pharmacy or medicine if you meet certain requirements. Im doing this course next month but I dont know the full truth. Some people say the staff dont help as much.. or they dont give you chance to apply for transfer but others say its a good option for people who dont get the A level grades and want to transfer. I got C's in my A levels in solid subjects.. Can anyone who has done this or heard of this tell me everything you know about the course. I will be extremely appreciative. God bless!

2018 update: i ended up doing the course and got an offer for Leeds! Yay
If anybody has any questions regarding the course please feel free to message me.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello; to anyone reading- I too have just graduated from this course and unfortunately can only confirm what the above poster has said. It was totally shambolic. The premise under which a lot of us were brought onto it was false! If you haven't done science A levels, you have got NO chance transferring from foundation year.

In years 2 and 3, modules were unplanned and executed terribly- we were something of a guinea pig year where they tested a whole load of new modules/ideas/workloads etc on us and it was just awful! One module in Year 2 was just appalling- the workload it involved was only over one semester but was totally excessive and the support was nonexistent; when people who usually got 70s got 40s we were told we just hadn't worked hard enough! Feedback is never accepted on the course-it's shoved back in our faces. Some dissertation supervisors were very un-supportive which unfortunately brought down people's marks a lot. Intelligent and diligent students were screwed over by random marking and a culture of not accepting any responsibility on the course. I would strongly advise you not to get involved with it- re-do your A levels and reapply for medicine. Or, as the above poster said, do another degree where you're actually going somewhere and you're treated with the respect you deserve. The number of people with emotional and mental health difficulties which have stemmed from the course in some way is really astounding, not to mention sickening. The faculty does not respect its students; official complaints have taken months to receive any response (which has only ever been to blame the students, again).
If you'd like to chat any more, please PM me or the above poster- trust me, we're both determined nobody should spend their university days as miserable as we were. Do not do Clinical Sciences at Bradford.
Reply 2
I'm sorry to hear about the disappointing experiences of the full clinical sciences degree. I did only the foundation year (with no science A-levels!) and managed to transfer to medicine at Leeds. In fact there were a number of us with no science A-levels who managed it. Unfortunately I've heard many negative reports about the Clinical Sciences BSc. But I also know many graduates from this course who are now doing medicine as a post-grad.
Original post by um12
I'm sorry to hear about the disappointing experiences of the full clinical sciences degree. I did only the foundation year (with no science A-levels!) and managed to transfer to medicine at Leeds. In fact there were a number of us with no science A-levels who managed it. Unfortunately I've heard many negative reports about the Clinical Sciences BSc. But I also know many graduates from this course who are now doing medicine as a post-grad.

You transferred straight after the foundation year? What uni did you do it at it?
Original post by CentralPerk24
Hi all,
I want to be of any assistance possible here. I have just finished the Clinical Sciences degree after doing the full 4 years (which included the foundation year). The course is a shambles full of lies and false promises from day 1. I, like many others, was lured onto the degree having missed the grades to be able to get directly into Medical school and was assured I would be a very strong candidate for the transfer and that there would be 50 people on the course going for the 20 transfer places of foundation year and 20 transfer places of year 1. There were over 110 students on my first day of the course and there was the evident first lie of the experience. (They are now taking on well over 200 students for the same 20 places). Suddenly prospects of having a 1 in 2.5 chance of transfer for each year became almost a 1 in 6. From day 1 it was evident that the 'widening participation' aspect of the course just wasn't the case. I was competing against students with straight A's and higher at A level and it became quickly apparent that the course was nothing more than a money making machine that was playing on people's desperation to get into Medical school. Many people met the grades (70% average in foundation year and 60% in first year) which ultimately meant people who had done nothing but work in order to transfer into Leeds didn't. You are treated with less respect, less fairness and less professionalism than you are in primary school throughout the degree, particularly in years 2 and 3 when you haven't transferred and are effectively trapped in their system. The teaching quality is often appalling, exam standards are shocking and the culture of bullying stems from the top down. The course director is to put it bluntly, an unrelenting bully, who had so many complaints against her that during my final year an investigation was conducted into this behaviour. Over 6 months later we haven't been told anything about the outcome. I cannot strongly enough express how awful this degree was. Where those who work for the faculty would say that those who didn't transfer are just bitter (this was indeed used against us by the course director when we politely asked for a meeting to discuss our concerns), that is simply not the case. Please do not do this degree. I, having graduated with a 2.1 and moved on with my life, feel that it is my duty to warn others and inform others who are considering this path what an awful lie the whole things is. There is a thread from as long as 10 years ago stating the exact same feelings as I write here today so please believe me when I say that the way I feel is a general consensus and not just the thoughts of one individual. I will include the links to other threads at the end of mine. If you want to private message me at all or have more questions please do not hesitate to ask. If you feel that this course is the best way to get into Medicine please just explore all other options. I would tell my 18 year old self to do a degree I would enjoy, perhaps nursing/physiotherapy/midwifery/biomedical sciences then apply to graduate Medicine afterwards. I do not want anyone to go through what I and so many of my peers have. Feel free to ask me more and stay clear of Clinical Sciences! Here is the link to the thread stating the same problems from 10 years ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=266482&page=2

I am really confused and worried now. What should I do?? I have C in chem and bio and B in maths. What other decent respectable course can I do. I cant resit. I dont want to go through what youve just explained.. how does midwifery sound?
Original post by um12

Hey I just wanted to know how long ago was this.. and do you think I should go for it? Im so upset and confused. What do you think you did that contributed to your transfer to leeds and how many people transferred?
Original post by youcanneverknow
Hello; to anyone reading- I too have just graduated from this course and unfortunately can only confirm what the above poster has said. It was totally shambolic. The premise under which a lot of us were brought onto it was false! If you haven't done science A levels, you have got NO chance transferring from foundation year.

In years 2 and 3, modules were unplanned and executed terribly- we were something of a guinea pig year where they tested a whole load of new modules/ideas/workloads etc on us and it was just awful! One module in Year 2 was just appalling- the workload it involved was only over one semester but was totally excessive and the support was nonexistent; when people who usually got 70s got 40s we were told we just hadn't worked hard enough! Feedback is never accepted on the course-it's shoved back in our faces. Some dissertation supervisors were very un-supportive which unfortunately brought down people's marks a lot. Intelligent and diligent students were screwed over by random marking and a culture of not accepting any responsibility on the course. I would strongly advise you not to get involved with it- re-do your A levels and reapply for medicine. Or, as the above poster said, do another degree where you're actually going somewhere and you're treated with the respect you deserve. The number of people with emotional and mental health difficulties which have stemmed from the course in some way is really astounding, not to mention sickening. The faculty does not respect its students; official complaints have taken months to receive any response (which has only ever been to blame the students, again).
If you'd like to chat any more, please PM me or the above poster- trust me, we're both determined nobody should spend their university days as miserable as we were. Do not do Clinical Sciences at Bradford.

Thats really alarming. So how many people actually transferred in your year .. and how many was it out of? What course do you reccommend for me?
Um12 - I've noticed on another post you wrote you had done your science A-levels in an access to Medicine course over a year before starting Clinical Sciences? I don't mean to be difficult but I genuinely can't think of a single person who transferred from my year group or any other year groups below and above me who hadn't done science A-levels either the conventional way or in an access to Medicine course. The content of the course is just far too complex to give anyone who hasn't done the correct A-levels a chance when they will be "competing" against those who have. It just isn't something that happens.
Original post by um12

I've noticed on another post you wrote you had done your science A-levels in an access to Medicine course over a year before starting Clinical Sciences? I don't mean to be difficult but I genuinely can't think of a single person who transferred from my year group or any other year groups below and above me who hadn't done science A-levels either the conventional way or in an access to Medicine course. The content of the course is just far too complex to give anyone who hasn't done the correct A-levels a chance when they will be "competing" against those who have. It just isn't something that happens.
Reply 9
Original post by GalaxyBlue22
Um12 - I've noticed on another post you wrote you had done your science A-levels in an access to Medicine course over a year before starting Clinical Sciences? I don't mean to be difficult but I genuinely can't think of a single person who transferred from my year group or any other year groups below and above me who hadn't done science A-levels either the conventional way or in an access to Medicine course. The content of the course is just far too complex to give anyone who hasn't done the correct A-levels a chance when they will be "competing" against those who have. It just isn't something that happens.

The access to medicine course I was referring to there was the foundation year clinical sciences at Bradford uni. I had never completed any science A-levels or studied science at A-level formally before starting this course.

Original post by goingtogetthere
Hey I just wanted to know how long ago was this.. and do you think I should go for it? Im so upset and confused. What do you think you did that contributed to your transfer to leeds and how many people transferred?

I transferred in 2012. From the foundation year to year 1 of medicine at Leeds. I would say go for it. People were discouraging me about the Foundation course at Bradford but I'm very glad I did it. (bear in mind other routes for me to do medicine were limited!). I am told the material they taught and tested on in 2011/2012 was NOT the same as science A-levels. I think this may have helped me on the course. Having not studied science A-levels I didn't assume a prior understanding of what they were teaching. I learned and studied every single topic that was mentioned.
Original post by um12
The access to medicine course I was referring to there was the foundation year clinical sciences at Bradford uni. I had never completed any science A-levels or studied science at A-level formally before starting this course.

I transferred in 2012. From the foundation year to year 1 of medicine at Leeds. I would say go for it. People were discouraging me about the Foundation course at Bradford but I'm very glad I did it. (bear in mind other routes for me to do medicine were limited!). I am told the material they taught and tested on in 2011/2012 was NOT the same as science A-levels. I think this may have helped me on the course. Having not studied science A-levels I didn't assume a prior understanding of what they were teaching. I learned and studied every single topic that was mentioned.

I didn't do science A levels and there is simply no way someone without them would transfer from the foundation year! As above posters have said- it just doesn't happen.
Thats really alarming. So how many people actually transferred in your year .. and how many was it out of? What course do you reccommend for me?

From foundation year it was out of about 90 at least! I honestly suggest any course except Clin Sci. Please don't potentially condemn yourself to misery for four years on this woeful excuse for a degree.
Reply 12
I didn't do science A levels and there is simply no way someone without them would transfer from the foundation year! As above posters have said- it just doesn't happen.

It does happen. I did it
Original post by um12

What are the exam style questions like? How did you revise for exam technique? Im so unsure because I believe in trying atleast and wanna gove it a chance rather than do something else. How many people transferred from your year? I would appreciate it greatly if you can tell me what you did to achieve the grades? How long you revised a day? What study techniques?
What are the exam style questions like? How did you revise for exam technique? Im so unsure because I believe in trying atleast and wanna gove it a chance rather than do something else. How many people transferred from your year? I would appreciate it greatly if you can tell me what you did to achieve the grades? How long you revised a day? What study techniques?

Same here. I want to atleast do the foundation year so that i dont regret not giving it a go in the future
The NSS results for the course have been made public today- if you look on the uni website or NSS you will see the course got a student satisfaction rating of 36%! And only 40% of students thought they were properly supported or advised on the course. Please, save yourselves potentially four years of unhappiness- do not do clinical sciences!
The NSS results for the course have been made public today- if you look on the uni website or NSS you will see the course got a student satisfaction rating of 36%! And only 40% of students thought they were properly supported or advised on the course. Please, save yourselves potentially four years of unhappiness- do not do clinical sciences!

That is true, I just check the NSS 2016 results
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007785FT-UCLISCI3/ReturnTo/
I am unsure of what to do now because I really want to do medicine but then if I dont get enough support on the course, it would be worthless
Please can someone from this course who has transfered this year or last year give us their opinion too or can the bradford uni reps justify the poor student satisfaction percentage they recieved
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Arie1239
That is true, I just check the NSS 2016 results
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007785FT-UCLISCI3/ReturnTo/
I am unsure of what to do now because I really want to do medicine but then if I dont get enough support on the course, it would be worthless
Please can someone from this course who has transfered this year or last year give us their opinion too or can the bradford uni reps justify the poor student satisfaction percentage they recieved

As I mentioned before, unfortunately I also heard bad things about the Clinical Sciences BSc. However, my plan at the time was just to complete the foundation year (not the BSc) and try transfer to medicine, which I was lucky enough to do.
I kept in mind, throughout that foundation year, that the it was MY goal to transfer to medicine, not Bradford University's goal. So the lack of support some people mention is frustrating, but I just made sure I knew exactly what I needed to do to be eligible for transfer.

It would be interesting to hear from students transferring to Leeds this year.

I was adamant that my only option into medicine was through a foundation year until now. Studying chemistry, maths (sometimes accepted as a science) and computer science; at first the idea of a foundation year didn't hinder me, but reading your post has truthfully scared me. I have 1(possibly two) science A levels, didn't do amazingly in my as exams, however all my tutors advised a foundation year. In a perfect world id like to apply after i receive my A-level results, but will still apply to foundation med the year before. Honestly, do you think i wont be able to transfer into the next year, from foundation.
Was the course actually called an access course? I finished a proper, stand alone, 1-year access to medicine course in June and start my medicine degree at Southampton in a couple of weeks. There were a couple of issues with the course but overall it was excellent and did exactly what I needed it to do. This access/foundation hybrid sounding thing sounds like a horrible half way house.

Latest